Create. Explore. Play. BRP’s Universal Game Engine is available royalty-free for personal and commercial use under the ORC license.

MOB

Has the ORC license-covered BRP Universal Game Engine been released in .doc, .rtf,  .html or other plain form to make it easier for creators using the system to adapt and write with it? I've already got the PDF book, and am planning to work from, it, but a simpler format to work with would make writing a whole lot easier. An online archive like Fate or GUMSHOE's extensive online SRDs would be just as helpful. 

Edited by Paul StJohn Mackintosh

21 hours ago, Paul StJohn Mackintosh said:

Has the ORC license-covered BRP Universal Game Engine been released in .doc, .rtf,  .html or other plain form to make it easier for creators using the system to adapt and write with it? I've already got the PDF book, and am planning to work from, it, but a simpler format to work with would make writing a whole lot easier. An online archive like Fate or GUMSHOE's extensive online SRDs would be just as helpful. 

Not yet. We need to finalise the text for the print version first before looking at alternative presentations.

• Helpful 4

Basic Roleplaying Actual Play: Salt and Serpent Episode 4 is on YouTube

screen-shot-2023-05-06-at-10.09.11-pm.png

Salt and Serpent's finale! In Pixel Circus's swashbuckling tale of rainbow romance and revenge, our crew must choose to align their loyalties once and for all. With Saige Ryan, Kailey Bray, Surena Marie, Rowan Hall, and Aabria Iyengar.

Salt and Serpent uses the Basic Roleplaying Universal Game Engine, Chaosium's system of core rules for tabletop roleplaying. Whether you’re a seasoned roleplaying veteran or new to the hobby, Basic Roleplaying has everything you need for years of entertainment!

The following code can be used for 10% off store-wide on Chaosium.com, once per customer:

SALTSERPENT

On 4/21/2023 at 4:52 PM, MOB said:

As Jason says above, when the ORC is finalised, you can use it to do whatever you want with the BRP rules. We, Chaosium, are not involved. You do not need our permission. We do not review or approve what you create or publish. We don't take any royalties.

Our stance on AI art only applies to what we publish ourselves (this includes our community content programs at DriveThruRPG, as Chaosium is the publisher here). If you want to use AI art in something you release using the ORC that's nothing to do with us.

Just to clarify on this issue, if we simply cut and paste the material from the existing BRP UGE, is that okay? Or do we need to change the wording etc., so that we're not simply parroting the original text? 

I'm going to be using the character generation and skill rules pretty much as given for my planned classic detection game. So it'd help to know just how things work for the material I take from the published book.

18 hours ago, Paul StJohn Mackintosh said:

Just to clarify on this issue, if we simply cut and paste the material from the existing BRP UGE, is that okay? Or do we need to change the wording etc., so that we're not simply parroting the original text? 

Under the ORC you can do either.

• Helpful 2

4 hours ago, BRP Investigator said:

Cool! So when will it be possible to buy the printed version?

FWIW, Chaosium doesn't like to rub that particular crystal ball.

There are too many imponderables, between the paper-supply, other jobs at the printers, shipping-strikes, weather-delays, quality-control rejecting galley proofs, etc etc etc (I am pretty sure each of those specific things has been responsible for at least one delay in Chaosium product, and I suspect other issues have had impact, too).

They find it causes too much ill-will -- and burns a *LOT* of customer-service time -- as they have to explain (over and over, in multiple venues) just why they can't do the thing they said they would do.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Just to avoid sending broadcast emails: to whom does one address non-public questions about using the ORC license for BRP-related products and derivatives? Jason? Jeff? Scotty? MOB? Chaosium's pet dragon?

I stress that this is about subjects that I would prefer to keep undisclosed for now, as public questions clearly belong here.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

2 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Just to avoid sending broadcast emails: to whom does one address non-public questions about using the ORC license for BRP-related products and derivatives? Jason? Jeff? Scotty? MOB? Chaosium's pet dragon?

Please contact me via email or via BRP messaging and I can assist.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

23 hours ago, MOB said:

Please note we've updated the Basic Roleplaying Universal Game Engine PDF with all current corrections. The updated file is V1.02, which you can find on your Chaosium account or at DriveThruRPG, depending on where you bought your PDF.

<grabbed>
TYVM!

Is this the exact version that's being sent to the printer?

(I mean... barring the fact that a consumer-oriented PDF is a different file than a printer-oriented... what, do you send them InDesign files?)

What's the policy for reporting these sorts of errors / typo's going forward?  Still collecting to the "...Corrections" thread?

Edited by g33k
mis-thread cited

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 minutes ago, g33k said:

(I mean... barring the fact that a consumer-oriented PDF is a different file than a printer-oriented... what, do you send them InDesign files?)

We produce two main types of PDFs from the InDesign files. We export an "interactive" version that creates a PDF with hyperlinks, bookmarks, and such for our customers. We also export a "print" version that creates a higher resolution PDF with everything the printer needs to print the book, like embedded fonts, etc. Those two activities use different export settings, so they are run separately. 

• Helpful 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

11 hours ago, g33k said:

What's the policy for reporting these sorts of errors / typo's going forward?  Still collecting to the "...Corrections" thread?

Yes. If further corrections are reported we will review. If necessary, the PDF will be updated in due course, along with any subsequent printings of the book.

I would like to begin with something like quick start rules and then bolt-on some additional rules from the BRP:UGE.

If I use the text of the BRP SRD from 2020, can I share my work under both the BRP OGL and the ORC?

Or, has anyone created a quick start version of the BRP:UGE? 

Or, can Chaosium release the SRD under the ORC as well?

5 hours ago, Greg said:

If I use the text of the BRP SRD from 2020, can I share my work under both the BRP OGL and the ORC?

You cannot use the text of the BRP SRD from 2020 under the ORC license. Only the new edition is released under the ORC. 

• Helpful 1

The ORC states "Licensor hereby authorizes You to exercise the Licensed Rights in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter created, and to make technical modifications necessary to do so."

Does this mean I can post reformatted text of the rules on a website?

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2023 at 2:58 PM, Greg said:

The ORC states "Licensor hereby authorizes You to exercise the Licensed Rights in all media and formats whether now known or hereafter created, and to make technical modifications necessary to do so."

Does this mean I can post reformatted text of the rules on a website?

Yes. All text of the book with the exceptions listed on page 3 of the BR:UGE PDF. I'm copy and pasting rules verbatim for https://rpg-worlds.com as I have time to work on the app.

I expect that Chaosium will put up a web page of the SRD text in time. I bet they're crazy busy right now though with the release of Pendragon and all their other moving parts.

Product Identity elements in this product include all artwork, illustrations, and
graphic design, including runes and geometric symbols that are not part of the
Latin alphabet or Hindu-Arabic numeral system, and all trademarks, including
Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium, Future-World, Magic World, Pendragon, RuneQuest,
Superworld, and Worlds of Wonder.

With a very few exceptions (trademarked terms), the text of BASIC ROLEPLAY-
ING: UNIVERSAL GAME ENGINE is available for personal and commercial
use under the ORC license. The reproduction of artwork, illustrations, graphic
design, and trade dress from this book for the purposes of personal or corporate
profit, by photographic, optical, electronic, or other media or methods of storage
and retrieval, is prohibited.

• Like 3

Owner and developer of Savaged.us. Creator of the RPG Worlds project for the ORC compatible BRP system.

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 6:46 AM, Alliante said:

Yes. All text of the book with the exceptions listed on page 3 of the BR:UGE PDF. I'm copy and pasting rules verbatim for https://rpg-worlds.com as I have time to work on the app.

I expect that Chaosium will put up a web page of the SRD text in time. I bet they're crazy busy right now though with the release of Pendragon and all their other moving parts.

Just had a quick look. Great job mate!

On 5/20/2023 at 11:34 AM, Greg said:

I would like to begin with something like quick start rules and then bolt-on some additional rules from the BRP:UGE.

Or, has anyone created a quick start version of the BRP:UGE? 

I too am interested in a minimalistic ORC-licensed BRP "Quickstart:UGE" doc.

Hey @Jason D @MOB (or whoever) is that on Chaosium's "to-do" list?
If so is it anywhere near being worked-upon (or even 🙏 being released)?

... TYVM ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig