Basic Roleplaying Universal Game Engine 2023 - Corrections Thread

MOB

On page 20, last sentences in the Hit Points paragraph read: "Lost hit points heal naturally at a rate of 1D3 points per game week, though medical attention can speed recovery. See Damage & Healing (page 123)."

Combat chapter starts on page 123, but Damage & Healing section actually starts on page 134. Even more specifically, the natural healing and medical care parts the Hit Points paragraph is referring to only starts on page 136.

Stil on page 20, the Power Points recovery rate table last line starts with "Max PP: 97+", implying an absolute recovery rate for whatever PP value above this level. Then both recovery rates read "+1 per hour" and "divide time in half", as if they were intended for a scaling progression.

Shouldn't that last line be either "Max PP: each +24 | +1 per hour | divide time in half" or "Max PP: 97+ | 5 per hour | 1 per 24 minutes (5 per 2 hours)"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Page 113, Modifying Action Rolls, Average Actions reads "If a skill or characteristic roll doesn’t have a modifier before—such as an Easy Listen roll—assumed it’s Average."

Suggested edit: "...such as an Easy Listen roll—assumed it’s Average."

On page 136, A Combat Example, First Combat Round, the second paragraph about halfway through reads "(the optional hit location system is not being used. this is just the gamemaster elaborating with flavor in their description)."

Suggested edit: "(the optional hit location system is not being used. This is just the gamemaster elaborating with flavor in their description)."

Edited by nyx_xyn
removed vestigial plural, corrected incorrect page number, corrected unintended differences between original quote and edited quote

Page 137, Fourth Combat Round (begins on previous page), the last sentence of the second to last paragraph reads "She’ll become unconscious in four combat rounds, one round for each hit point she currently possesses."

As established at the end of the previous paragraph, Yvarre has 5 hit points remaining.

I'm uncertain if this is an error or not.
I believe that Yvarre has 5 rounds left of consciousness, though I'm uncertain if the example is excluding the current combat round from those 5, leaving her with 4.

Page 137, Next Combat Round reads "Kallistor’s First Aid was for the knife wound...", however the previous round reads "...Kallistor uses First Aid to try to heal the arrow wound..."

Suggested edit*: "Kallistor's First Aid was for the arrow wound..."

*The First Aid skill System Notes (pg 41) reads "Only one [First Aid] attempt may be made per wound."
Yvvare has already attempted First Aid on the knife wound in the Second Combat Round (pg 136), and the Next Combat Round After That (pg 138) acknowledges this despite the action directly contradicting the First Aid skill usage description.
As such, more editing than suggested is likely necessary.

Edited by nyx_xyn
removed redundant "skill"

• 2 weeks later...

Page 181, both Modern and Advanced explosives tables
It seems like the Range column is used for both the actual range the weapon can be thrown/launched, AND the radius of the explosion, though doesn't always clearly indicate which is which.
For example, several rows indicate the Range is "thrown", which sets the precedent that the Range column is used to represent the distance the item can be hurled.
However the "Mine, Antitank" reads a Range of "10/25/50", which is clearly the radius of the explosion.

An improvised explosive has a range of 8. That implies it isn't thrown, but also doesn't really seem to match up with the explosive radius.
Note 1 about the damage column reads "Damage is expressed in dice per meters; damage done per meter past the initial radius decreases by 1D6."
An improvised explosive does a damage of 3D6/2 meters.
Within 1-2 meters it does 3d6, at 3 meters it does 2d6, at 4 meters it does 1d6, and no damage beyond.
It could be that the damage was calculated using the Advanced explosives note 1 about damage, "Damage is expressed in dice per meters; damage done each meter past the initial radius decreases by 1D per range increment", though even then the math doesn't line up.
Within 1-2 meters it does 3d6, at 3-4 meters it does 2d6, at 5-6 meters it does 1d6, and no damage beyond.
I could be doing my math wrong, but that's the equation the book is telling me to use. I really don't know where a range of 8 came from, nor what it means.

The Range column is described on page 163 within the Weapons section to be "Rng: The basic range of the weapon. At its basic range, the skill is unmodified. At medium range (double the basic range), the skill use becomes Difficult, and at long range (four times basic range) it becomes 1/5 the normal skill rating (equal to the chance of a special).", which distinctly lacks any mention of an explosive radius.

For sake of clarity, I think the best course of action would be to add an additional column for the Radius of the explosion (and make sure the radius is accurate to the equations given to calculate it), and edit the Range column to be exclusively the range it can be thrown/launched (where applicable).
With how the tables are laid out within the Equipment chapter, I also don't think it would be a bad idea to split the explosives from within the Weapons section into their own section a little nearer to where the physical table is located (after the Artillery section), though I know this would be a fair bit more difficult than something like a spelling correction.

Page 118, ENC Penalties

• –5% to the Agility characteristic roll
  • –5% to all Agility, Manipulation, Stealth, Dodge, and weapon skills

There are no Agility, Stealth, Dodge, and Weapon skill categories. The text is copied from RQG which use different names for categories. I think they should be "–5% to all Physical, Manipulation, and Combat skills"

Sanpat Suvarnadat

Page 132, Skill Penalties (from wearing armor).

It mentioned that wearing armor can give penalty to the Agility characteristic rolls, but there is no indication as such in any of the armor stats in the Equipment section.

Sanpat Suvarnadat

Page 52, Swim skill.

"Subtract any ENC a swimmer has from their Swim rating." This is redundant with the new ENC penalties (that taken from RQG) from page 118. I think it should be eliminated. And I am not sure that "If their ENC exceeds their STR, they sink and must shed weight or drown." should be eliminated as well, although I incline to think so, as, in BGB, the Encumbrance entry doesn't specified the effect of ENC on swim skill, but the new BRP it does. So it is redundant now.

Sanpat Suvarnadat

Page 42, Fly skill.

"Flying while wearing armor or heavy gear incurs a penalty equal to your character’s current ENC total (see Encumbrance, page 120)." The part about ENC is redundant with the new ENC penalties as mentioned in the post about swim skill above. And page 120 reference is wrong, it should be 118.

Sanpat Suvarnadat

When it comes to 1 or 2 handed weapons, both the Katana and Bastard Sword do have specific rules, but the rest do not appear to
While it's somewhat implied to half the damage modifier for wielding all of them 1 handed, that doesn't really extend to the net

If there is no benefit to wielding these weapons with 2 hands, there is absolutely no reason to use them as such, as having the extra hand open for interacting or wielding another weapon/shield would always be better

Suggested edit: either update all 1/2 handed weapons individually with a note describing what to do, or make a more generic entry in either the Equipment or Spot Rules chapters. The latter is easier, though the net would still likely require a specific note, perhaps making the relevant check normal instead of difficult when wielding 2 handed.

3 hours ago, nyx_xyn said:

When it comes to 1 or 2 handed weapons, both the Katana and Bastard Sword do have specific rules, but the rest do not appear to
While it's somewhat implied to half the damage modifier for wielding all of them 1 handed, that doesn't really extend to the net

If there is no benefit to wielding these weapons with 2 hands, there is absolutely no reason to use them as such, as having the extra hand open for interacting or wielding another weapon/shield would always be better

Suggested edit: either update all 1/2 handed weapons individually with a note describing what to do, or make a more generic entry in either the Equipment or Spot Rules chapters. The latter is easier, though the net would still likely require a specific note, perhaps making the relevant check normal instead of difficult when wielding 2 handed.

I'm really not keen on changing the damage bonus like this, as it makes the weapon less and less interesting for people with good stats. And I guess it should not apply to negative modifiers. 😄

In RQ3, STR and DEX requirements were different for the Bastard Sword. You also used either the 1 handed sword skills or the 2 handed sword skills depending on how many hands you used. So, there were no real benefit to use it 2 handed. If you were Strong and Dextrous enough to use it 1 handed, you did. Otherwise, you used it with 2 hands. It also had lower requirements than the real 2H sword 

The rules for the Katana were in Land of Ninja. Like all other nippon-to in this, it is by default a 2 handed weapon, and its wielder receives a -10% malus when using it 1 handed (well, at least that's what can be seen in the French translation, which was sometimes badly translated...). The prerequisites don't change.

Page 118, Encumbrance.

New maximum ENC allowed is an average of STR+CON or STR if that is lower. This is only in the new edition and copy straight from RQG. However, Plate Armor's ENC is 25. There is no normal human being can still wear plate armor and still functioning. Even with STR 18 & CON 18, you will still get 35% to all Physical, Manipulation, and Combat skills. Average human with STR & CON at 10 will have the penalties of 75% just for wearing the armor alone. Either you have to adjust all equipment's ENC values to match the new ENC maximum limit imported from RQG or you have to increase the maximum ENC.

Edited by Job
  • Like 1

Sanpat Suvarnadat

Page 163 and all weapon stats.

Attk and RF are redundant. In BGB, Attk is used with DEX rank initiative system and RF is used with Strike Rank system. Since they is no SR system in the new BRP, there is no place for RF anymore and should be eliminated. In the RF description on page 163 also refer to Volley Fire spot rule on page 155, but Volley Fire spot rule only talk about Attk.

Sanpat Suvarnadat

On 8/21/2023 at 12:35 PM, Mugen said:

I'm really not keen on changing the damage bonus like this, as it makes the weapon less and less interesting for people with good stats. And I guess it should not apply to negative modifiers. 😄

In RQ3, STR and DEX requirements were different for the Bastard Sword. You also used either the 1 handed sword skills or the 2 handed sword skills depending on how many hands you used. So, there were no real benefit to use it 2 handed. If you were Strong and Dextrous enough to use it 1 handed, you did. Otherwise, you used it with 2 hands. It also had lower requirements than the real 2H sword 

The rules for the Katana were in Land of Ninja. Like all other nippon-to in this, it is by default a 2 handed weapon, and its wielder receives a -10% malus when using it 1 handed (well, at least that's what can be seen in the French translation, which was sometimes badly translated...). The prerequisites don't change.

That's fair
The str/dex requirements being lessened for wielding a 1 or 2 handed weapon with 2 hands isn't a bad idea

One idea I'd seen that might work (though I'm quite inexperienced, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt) is that wielding the weapon 2 handed would give a +1 damage bonus
That way you reward a certain action instead of punishing the opposite

I could also see that working for pretty much any 1 handed weapon. If you grab a dagger with both hands to plunge it into something, it may not be easier to hit, but you can get more strength and body weight into it, probably dealing more damage

I'm not sure the exact details on what would be balanced or interesting, though I do know the book doesn't really explain what to do
While it can leave it up to the gm to decide, a little guideline somewhere would still be nice

On 8/22/2023 at 3:05 AM, Job said:

Page 118, Encumbrance.

New maximum ENC allowed is an average of STR+CON or STR if that is lower. This is only in the new edition and copy straight from RQG. However, Plate Armor's ENC is 25. There is no normal human being can still wear plate armor and still functioning. Even with STR 18 & CON 18, you will still get 35% to all Physical, Manipulation, and Combat skills. Average human with STR & CON at 10 will have the penalties of 75% just for wearing the armor alone. Either you have to adjust all equipment's ENC values to match the new ENC maximum limit imported from RQG or you have to increase the maximum ENC.

I actually asked Jason about this in Discord, and he confirmed that armour worn does not count towards ENC. One should use the armour skill penalty instead. I think there was a line to this effect in BGB, but it seems to have fallen out in UGE. It might be nice if it was put in again. 

Edited by Barak Shathur

• 4 weeks later...

Page 126, Melee Hit Location Table, Left Leg has a d20 range of 5-8, but Abdomen has a d20 range of 8-11.

Suggested edit: Abdomen d20 range of 9-11

I think you could also adjust it to 9-10, and change the chest d20 range to 11-12.
Considering chest currently has a 1/20 change, abdomen is intended to have a 3/20 chance, and head has a 2/20 chance, adjusting the ranges as such would mean all three have equal chances to be hit.
As is, the chest being so hard to hit feels a little strange, especially considering that the chest has the most health of any hit location, and that the Damage and Hit Location table on 133 implies that taking excessive head damage is more dangerous than excessive chest damage despite that the head is twice as likely to be hit than the chest.

• 1 month later...

Parry???

The "Melee Weapon (various)" skill (p.47) and "Shield" skill (p.50) say these are the skills to use when Parrying.
The "Parry" discussion on p.125 reinforces this:  your "combat skill" is your parry skill.

Jason's very-fine summary of the differences between BGB-vs-UGE editions explicitly states (with emphasis added by me):

3. Simplified core combat rules

This edition of Basic Roleplaying has seen the removal of Strike Ranks (a core combat mechanic used in RuneQuest), along with splitting attack and parry into separate weapon skills that had to be tracked separately. Strike Ranks in the prior edition of BRP were not as well implemented as they are in RuneQuest, and feedback on splitting attacks and parries lead us to the conclusion that the rule itself was not particularly useful. As it is not easily supported on the basic character sheet, it seemed an easy thing to remove.

-- https://www.chaosium.com/blogbasic-roleplaying-universal-game-engine7-changes-in-the-new-edition/

But there is a separate "Parry" skill listed on p.48 !!?!

Is this entry an erroneous leftover from prior version, or...?
(There is no "CHA2036" when I search the Well of Daliath, and previously-addressed issues have been removed from this thread; how should I have searched to see if this issue has already been addressed?  n.b. my PDF-reader's "Find" returned 179 instances of "Parry," and I haven't checked them all out... )

Edited by g33k
  • Confused 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/11/2023 at 4:20 AM, g33k said:

Parry???

The "Melee Weapon (various)" skill (p.47) and "Shield" skill (p.50) say these are the skills to use when Parrying.
The "Parry" discussion on p.125 reinforces this:  your "combat skill" is your parry skill.

Jason's very-fine summary of the differences between BGB-vs-UGE editions explicitly states (with emphasis added by me):

-- https://www.chaosium.com/blogbasic-roleplaying-universal-game-engine7-changes-in-the-new-edition/

But there is a separate "Parry" skill listed on p.48 !!?!

Is this entry an erroneous leftover from prior version, or...?
(There is no "CHA2036" when I search the Well of Daliath, and previously-addressed issues have been removed from this thread; how should I have searched to see if this issue has already been addressed?  n.b. my PDF-reader's "Find" returned 179 instances of "Parry," and I haven't checked them all out... )

I mentioned this several times in the errate thread, but my comments got deleted without any feedback or fix, so I have absolutely no clue why it's still there. It's confusing, especially for newbies.

• Sad 1

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

• 3 weeks later...