Wester Price List Question

Atgxtg

Okay, I'm about half way through with the Price List for BRP Old West.

I got a question. Some of my sources give a range for prices for certain goods. For example, Paper $0.50-$2.00 per ream or Office or a Shovel $0.30-$180 or so. The idea being that there are cheap shovles, and good ones. Clothing in particular gets a pretty wide range. You can buy a cheap suit for $3.00 or get some really fancy duds for $20.00.

Is that okay with everyone, or would people rather than I just pick a fixed value like Paper $1.25/ream , shovel $1.00, and Suit $10.00?

I think the range is kinda nice, but don't know what everyone else would prefer.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'd prefer the price range. As a GM, then you could use it as a rough guide for quality, availability, and degree of success/failure rolls.

Okay, that's one for range. Where's Rurik and his polls when I need them? ;)

BTW, Here is a sample of what it looks like.

pricelistsamplewq6.png

BTW, THanks to the wonder that is public domain and (actually) free clip art I used the images as a sort of quick index. So while flipping though for something you can just use the picture to find what you want fast. I've found it easier to naviate by looking for a shove, phonograph, or gun pic than by reading through the lists.

I like the ranges too.

In my mind it's not just a measure of quality but of location and local economy...

I like the idea of characters travelling to a 'boomtown' like Goldfield or Rhyolite and suddenly having to pay several times the price for the same stuff they bought back in 'the city'.

I like the ranges too.

In my mind it's not just a measure of quality but of location and local economy...

I like the idea of characters travelling to a 'boomtown' like Goldfield or Rhyolite and suddenly having to pay several times the price for the same stuff they bought back in 'the city'.

I got that in the "notes' section too. Prices double or triple as you move away from the source.

I had two "xmas gift" type finds while researching. One was a listing from a Sears & Roebuck catalog for lots and lots of stuff (Price list at 15 pages and should hit twenty, but thats in single colum with 12 point type). The other "gift" was finding a chart that showed the purchasing power of a dollar from 1800-2000. The nice bit was that it showed that except for the understandable increase in prices caused during the War of 1812 and the Civil War, prices remained remarkable stable from 1800-1900. So much so that the price list should hold up for most of it, and doubling during the war years.

It was as if someone had made a conscious effort to keep prices stable in case someone in the future was going to write an RPG!

Same for me.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

3 in favor, none against. Must be a Christmas miracle! :D

Works for me, since most of the list is done that way already. :D:D

I suppose I should hunt up stats and prices for those civil war flak vests...

BTW, Here is a sample of what it looks like.

pricelistsamplewq6.png

Looks very nice indeed.

No hats, though. You've got to have different-sized hats.

If you are using that kind of layout, then 2 columns would be perfect, twice the information and no space wasted.

Being able to keep the prices constant is really useful. It's worth having a price multiplier depending on transport links, though. After all, shipping that red satin underwear via wagontrain across Indian Terrirtory is a lot harder than shipping via the railroad.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Looks very nice indeed.

No hats, though. You've got to have different-sized hats.

Hat? We've got hats

Men's Hats/Caps $00.21 - $05.25 each

I suppose I should get a few brands/types in there. Can't be the West without a Stetson.

If you are using that kind of layout, then 2 columns would be perfect, twice the information and no space wasted.

Right now it is a little too wide for 2 column. I could go landscape, or shrink stuff down. 12 point Arial is nice on the eyes, but take up space. Ill play around with the format a bit. I'll make a backup first. Reformatting the text will no doubt mess up the images. Worst case scenario, it will get fixed by the second draft. It is so much easier to reformat and make corrections that it is to start from scratch!:D

Being able to keep the prices constant is really useful. It's worth having a price multiplier depending on transport links, though. After all, shipping that red satin underwear via wagontrain across Indian Terrirtory is a lot harder than shipping via the railroad.

Yeah, I couldn't believe how lucky I was when I saw the price index. Multiplier for rail, wagon trail, and ship (prices in Nevada were probably the worst. The quick and easy supply route was around Cape Horn up to California and then ship it overland, across the desert. Ka-ching! Ka-ching!, Ka-ching!). I'd have to do more research to get the right prices for the right goods in the right terrotires, though.

Right now I just have a simple, x2-3 for each "link" in the chain, but no actual links. It's certainly worth a look though. I had something that gave the railroad route around here....

Oh, and thank the higher power for public domain. A lot of really useful stuff it out there in PD. I think I've got train timetable for two different routes and 50 something cities, the patent sheet for the Gatling gun, an image of San Franciso, the works. It's amazing how much better stuff looks with a bit of art on the same page.

If it will help I have prices the goverment paid for weapons during the American Civil War around here some place. One thing to remember was just after the Civil War the Goverment almost gave away millions of surplus guns in the years between 1865-1870. A Henry rifle that cost $25 dollars could be had for $3 for a veteran .

If it will help I have prices the goverment paid for weapons during the American Civil War around here some place. One thing to remember was just after the Civil War the Goverment almost gave away millions of surplus guns in the years between 1865-1870. A Henry rifle that cost $25 dollars could be had for $3 for a veteran .

I'll take it. Heck I'll take just about anything to add to the project. I'm not proud.

Anyone else got any gems packed away just speak up.

I'm still hunting for a good PD pick of a griffon in a stetson....:D