Are there Foundchild temples / holy sites apart from the Dog Hills

dvdmacateer

3 minutes ago, dvdmacateer said:

If not where do initiates and  Master Hunters sacrifice power to gain Rune Points ?

At the local site maintained by their Master Hunter. It's a nomadic cult so nothing permanent. As Waha, Yinkin and Odayla are associates, in larger temple of those.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

18 minutes ago, David Scott said:

At the local site maintained by their Master Hunter. It's a nomadic cult so nothing permanent. As Waha, Yinkin and Odayla are associates, in larger temple of those.

I am talking about gaining  new rune points  not regaining existing ones or can you gain new Rune points at an associates temple? If you can sacrifice POW at an associate temple can you also sacrifice POW after casting Sanctify? 

Edited by dvdmacateer

I suppose that there are some natural holy sites, for instance the place where the clan ancestor made a pact with the god or the Hunter did a feat. I wouldn't consider any built temple for this deity strongly related to wildlife.

Or wherever the ceremony of the Great Hunt is held, hence on a non permanent basis.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

3 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

I am talking about gaining  new rune points  not regaining existing ones or can you gain new Rune points at an associates temple? If you can sacrifice POW at an associate temple can you also sacrifice POW after casting Sanctify? 

RQiG says that a shrine will be able to teach only one rune spell.  So a character may have to visit more than one shrine and more than one Master Hunter to get all the Rune magic you want.  That is the disadvantage with small cults in general, Foundchild is not alone.

I presume that there would be a Foundchild shrine in many but not all temples of associated cults.

As for the second question, in my opinion you can sac POW with a Sanctify but you still need a knowledgeable priest to lead you through learning the Rune magic through its associated body of myth and knowledge, taking about a week to do so.  And if you are just at a sanctified spot then the two of you can  do little else because the Sanctify exoires when you stop the business at hand.  Far better to learn at a shrine or temple where there is support and a chance to take a break.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing

8 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

If not where do initiates and  Master Hunters sacrifice power to gain Rune Points ?

I'd use any of the holy sites noted/marked in Griffin Mountain. There are 130k people in Balazar. The clans come together at these sites on a regular basis, including for seasonal ceremonies. During these times, the sanctified sites come become a Minor or Major Temple with enough folk worshiping. 

I consider most temples will be shrines, often in associated temples, so as indicated above, limited spell choice. However a great Hunt works effectively as a great temple, and that is, for me, the main reason most hunters nearby will join. Not for the very unlikely chance to become a Master Hunter, but the opportunity to sacrifice magic and get new powerful magic hunting magic. Adding the difficult to account community with people that get you and understand how you are, that can share important knowledge or useful tricks.

Foundchild also has a strong shaman spirit cult tradition, and I play that each shaman may contact a different aspect (or for powerful ones, aspects) of Foundchild, so if you get one of those shamans to accept you in their ceremony, you may well get to spend POW and get a different spell.

• Like 1

I have this problem in Prax with one of my players. No Odayla or Yinkin temples there, although one might argue they could exist in Orlanth temples, but why would they with no worshippers around? Obviously Waha is a possibility, but they are nomadic and he is a nomad on the Pol Joni, so not exactly welcomed in other Waha tribes when not at home travelling with his own clan. Now I have some flexibility with clans in the white bull….maybe….because arguably pol Joni cannot join the white bull as they are not part of the waha agreement. It’s an issue and opportunity to resolve but not a short term campaign focus.

So, I too feel the resolution is a  shamanic one. Breaking down aspects of Foundchild so certain spells can be recovered during a season, assuming you can find a foundchild shaman, or a waha one in touch with found child willing to work with a pol Joni.

all feels like I have to stretch things to enable the initiate just to regain rune spells in a Season not just once per year.

26 minutes ago, Geoff R Evil said:

I have this problem in Prax with one of my players. No Odayla or Yinkin temples there,

The Master hunters are effectively the shrines and temples, carrying their sacred items with them. A shrine needs 75–225 lay members and initiates. On the holy days, the Master Hunter sets up the alter and sanctifies it. Lay membership is easy (donate prey to the tribe once per season for Foundchild). Most herders, and warriors will be opportunistic lay members. You get to call yourself a hunter and can take part in the Great Hunt (one of the big annual events). The Great Hunt will usually attract enough Hunters for at least a Major Temple. I'd run Yinkin and Odayla exactly the same - they are associate cults, all hunters will be lay members of these cults.

You can also treat Yinkin and Odayla as Orlanth subcults as well (you'll see this in the cults books)

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 7/6/2023 at 6:59 PM, dvdmacateer said:

1. I would require a shrine or site - some of the time, but not always, you can find a shrine to your god in the temple of an Associated God (this becomes guaranteed for big temples). There's the risk that you won't be able to pick up any new Rune Spell, though, as shrines only teach the one Rune Spell and you might already know it. 

2. I picture Hunters deliberately seeking out shrines that offer the magic they're looking for, much like Eurmal worshipers are forced to. This is good roleplaying fodder as well.

3. Hunter gods are likely to have a lot holy sites that are only intermittently used - when you encounter one, you clear it up, maybe sacrifice, do your cultic thing, and leave it for the next guy.

4. I don't think you can get a full week out of Sanctify, at least not merely for increasing Rune Points, and you'd be guaranteed to miss out on the new spell.

5. Even if there aren't regular shrines, they might pop up temporarily on occasion. I would assume that any Great Hunt will put up a shrine to Foundchild among with the others.  

Edited by Akhôrahil