A question about vampires

Squaredeal Sten

A question about vampires in RuneQuest in Glorantha:  See the Bestiary pages 105-106; and for good measure the Dancers in Darkness section, page97:

In your opinion,

If a vampire turns into smoke, whether or not as a result of taking damage, what happens to its physical possessions such as jewelry, a sword, etc?  Are these left behind, or do they turn to smoke along with the vampire's body?  How about clothing - is it just part of the vampire's appearance, to reappear if it condenses from the smoke?  Or does it fall to the ground?

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
capitalization

As you point out, The Dancers in Darkness entry gives the answer in what corresponds to armor, and clothing, too. I suppose the illustration is at Delectí's hall, or artistic licence to avoid showing nude vampires. Presenting the base vampire also with 0 armor reinforces it, though they will be more open to concealing their nature with normal equipment. I would allow objects sacred to Vivamort to turn to smoke with the vampire, but all the other objects will be left befind. Of course, that gives a strong motivation, unless beaten easily, for the vampire to return for their possessions, and an opportunity for a second round.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

If a vampire turns into smoke, whether or not as a result of taking damage, what happens to its physical possessions such as jewelry, a sword, etc?  Are these left behind, or do they turn to smoke along with the vampire's body?  How about clothing - is it just part of the vampire's appearance, to reappear if it condenses from the smoke?  Or does it fall to the ground?

Rule of Cool says you keep your clothes and your stuff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I would say if he was buried with it, they turn to smoke with him.

• Like 3

Just now, Squaredeal Sten said:

Actually the Bestiary description of making a vampire does not include a burial.  Vivamort ritual, then " lie in state", then arise as a vampire.

Whatever, if they "layed in state" with the item he keeps it when they turn to smoke. 

1 hour ago, Godlearner said:

Whatever, if they "layed in state" with the item he keeps it when they turn to smoke. 

This brings to me the imagery of munchkin vampire candidates laid in state as "the Complete Adventurer":

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYbI_gt9k_UQ6PDzgeQ74images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUz-Q7fUvcnPE4h6mNHdI

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

IMHO items would fall to the ground, unless they were enchanted Vivamort items (not sure the POW cost or spells required). Of course, any crafty ancient vampire will have multiple sets of weapons and armour hidden around their lair for just such a circumstance- and would be highly motivated to retrieve any unique items they had to drop to flee.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 8:03 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

If a vampire turns into smoke, whether or not as a result of taking damage, what happens to its physical possessions such as jewelry, a sword, etc? 

In my Glorantha, the Grave Goods buried with a Vampire turn to smoke with the Vampire. It is possible to rebury new items with the Vampire and be reborn so they turn to smoke as well.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:03 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

Are these left behind, or do they turn to smoke along with the vampire's body?  How about clothing - is it just part of the vampire's appearance, to reappear if it condenses from the smoke?  Or does it fall to the ground?

In my Glorantha, anything not deemed as Grave Goods will fall to be ground for thieving Adventurers to take. This is one of the perils of being a Vampire. Some Vampires won't care about the things they have lost, others will hunt down said thieving Adventurers and retrieve their items.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here