Caladraland Adventure Hooks

ZedAlpha

On 8/30/2023 at 7:16 PM, ZedAlpha said:

Also, newtlings?! Where can I find more information about newtlings? Nobody said anything about salamander people! That is ridiculously cute. I can't not include them.

Borderlands used to be the best source, then the Gloranthan Bestiary, now the Glorantha Bestiary is the best source.

Spoiler

In my Arganauts campaign, Newtling Tails tasted livery when eaten, and I made the point every time the Adventurers ate Newtling tails. The reason? Grandfather Newt, one of the original River Voices in my campaign, hid Genert's Liver in his tail. The Adventurers found him and worked out that he had a piece of Genert, then pulled out the liver and all Newtling tails became horrible to eat.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 3:14 PM, ZedAlpha said:

I love the idea of an impenetrable volcano-kingdom ruled by an amazingly helpful, loving, himbo fire-god's priests, and I love the thought of dinosaur-filled jungles and whatnot.

All that long-winded nonsense is just to say I'm kinda stuck for ideas on what to do in Caladraland about that time. 

Anyway. Anybody have any ideas for plot hooks or campaign concepts I might be able to use?

I ran across something in Signs & Portents (yes my 238th rabbit hole this year) that had me recall my first experiences with fantasy gaming in 1981, The Isle of Dread. So much fun as it was so new to me. Dinosaurs were just like Godzilla, big and bad-ass!

https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/KoDP/0084.html

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Bryan Thexton wrote: I just chickened out and traded away some baby thunderers. I'm just wondering if anyone has been brave enough to try raising them, and how it turned out? Either major powerful plow team or major powerful warbeasts.

That being said dinosaurs roam Glorantha or so it would seem in several places. For scenarios there are of course the "kill the beast" which is eating the local sheep and the herders and famers, the "rescue the baby" dino that is in tar pit or something, "steal the dino egg" as its needed for research or for domestication, etc. but I like the idea of maybe questing to find info on how to train a dinosaur to be used as a mount, to plow fields, possibly tow mine carts or even barges on the Syphon?

Actually there is a cool illustration of Pavis being built (forgot what book) with dinos in the background taking large stones off the Faceless Statue to some structure being built or for the walls being set by a giant in the distant background...

PC's get idea, get info, get eggs, feed and care for, train...

Who uses dino labor besides Dragonewts? Dwarves maybe? Is there an old dragonewt or Dwarf (Elder Races p.120) who will hire out as an advisor? Maybe the PC's rescue a dragonewt from a place like Snake Pipe Hollow and then they repay with some service or something? Possibly the Ruins of the Stream dragonewt or the EWF dude in Tink has info?

Guessing the PC's get roped or duped into a series of quests and domesticated dinos now transport their trade goods for them if one is a trader. (Do they feed them small amounts of walktopus to keep them fed?)

There was a random encounter on Griffin Island, p.17 Dinosaur Eggs.

PC's would/will look cool riding on a triceratops.

image.png.cb43bfc9a1d3b588bd7f8214825badd7.png image.png.5e5c5c97442ded8754f483cc50451a89.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Who uses dino labor besides Dragonewts? Dwarves maybe?

In the Mostali cameo in Elder Secrets, there is a Tin Dwarf who can control a dinosaur.

Judging from the WBRM / Dragon Pass board game, controlling dinosaurs is an open secret in Dragon Pass. The dinosaur units can be allied just by moving into their location.

Telling how it is excessive verbis