Where can I find the most game-able information (%'s, Sects, Sorcery modifiers) for Malkioni sects (especially Ralian)?

Oldskolgmr

I would like to prepare a (series) of games in Ralios, but I feel like I should have a better understanding of Malkioni sects and sorcery. 

Does anyone have recommendations for game or world books? (I have the AH Glorantha: Genertela set and RQ 1,2,3, and G. And I've read NB's old site, but felt like there is more?)

I'm not a stickler for cannon either (JC, AH, Stafford Library, all good). Please recommend.

(Mods & Admins, Do I need to refine my topic or set this in another section?)

Thanks!

Edited by Oldskolgmr
Additional material

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

If you are fine with non-canonical stuff:

There were speculative sect descriptions in Tradetalk, but still using the "church" style descriptions of Malkionism. Building on Reaching Moon Megacorp's How the West Was One, there was the German freeform Rise of Ralios which featured a number of "Stygian" sects which later saw elaboration for roleplaying.

Not that "Watcher" is not an English translation of Greek Episkopos, which had become "bishop" over the centuries of church usage.

Platonic philosophy entered Christian lore, too. Much like it is hard to describe moderate to cold climate pre-industrial farming houses that don't resemble Anglo-Saxon or Viking houses (or Bell Beaker houses), or 18th century farm houses, it is hard to describe Platonic monotheistic ideas outside of church teachings.

The major shift away from RQ3 Malkionism is the scarcity of sorcery-users in the West, or in the East, while all of a sudden we have quite a few users of sorcery in Orlanthi society through Lhankor Mhy.

The HQ2/HQG/Questworlds description of sorcery with grimoires is another thing not quite of RuneQuest. HQ1 Acolytists and Orderlies have disappeared except in Jamie Revell's HQ1 sourcebooks for the West. None for Ralios, though.

Mongoose RQ for 2nd Age roleplaying had quite a few bits set in Ralios, although during the height of God Learner power. The sorcery system followed yet another concept, similar to Mythras.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The pink book from the old Orange Box attempted to implement Malkionism for RQ3 in an extremely small space. It was a brave attempt. There’s been nothing comparable since from Chaosium.

Sandy Petersen’s variant Sorcery rules for RQ3 are well worth a look. They’ll still be around online, somewhere.

We’re very proud of issue #13 of Tales of the Reaching Moon magazine, it’s worth hunting down that back issue if you can. Full RQ3 sect writeups for the Rokari and Hrestoli Churches.

I honestly think the illuminated History of Malkionism is one of the best things I’ve created. And I hope you’ll enjoy its dozens of pages of bonus content: there’s lots of stuff conducive to enjoyable Western shenanigans in there, including the cyclically recurring stasis dungeons of ancient Seshneg.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:25 AM, Oldskolgmr said:

I would like to prepare a (series) of games in Ralios, but I feel like I should have a better understanding of Malkioni sects and sorcery. 

Does anyone have recommendations for game or world books? (I have the AH Glorantha: Genertela set and RQ 1,2,3, and G. And I've read NB's old site, but felt like there is more?)

I'm not a stickler for cannon either (JC, AH, Stafford Library, all good). Please recommend.

(Mods & Admins, Do I need to refine my topic or set this in another section?)

Thanks!

As others have have pointed out the structure of Malkioni society has been changed from RQ3 to RQG and with that how sorcery is seen and how it works as well. What I suggest is that you determine as to which version you wish present in you world and the structure will follow. If you decide to go with the RQ3 type, then you will need to decide as to the exact mechanics of sorcery. There are several modifications, including Sandies rules, which make RQ3 sorcery playable. I feel that RQG rules also need to be adjusted for the type of campaign you are thinking of running, but both of those are topics for differnt threads.

• Thanks 1

• Oldskolgmr changed the title to Where can I find the most game-able information (%'s, Sects, Sorcery modifiers) for Malkioni sects (especially Ralian)?