Classic Fantasy Imperative - Now Available

lawrence.whitaker

It's here...

Classic Fantasy Imperative introduces roleplayers to old-school dungeoneering and high adventure through the lens of the Mythras rule system. A complete game, with all you need for play (barring dice), Classic Fantasy Imperative provides full character creation, with four classes (Cleric, Fighter, Mage and Rogue), four separate culture, and six races. Extensive rules are provided for Class optimization and Rank abilities, along with a comprehensive system of skills, innovative combat mechanics, and an extensive list of spells and magical effects. The book rounds out with sample monsters and enemies, and magic items. As it is based on the Mythras games system, Classic Fantasy Imperative is fully compatible with the Mythras range of games published by The Design Mechanism.

Classic Fantasy Imperative is a broad canvas intended for individual and third-party development. It is published under the ORC License, meaning that its Licensed Material content can be freely used and adapted, and even combined with other ORC Licensed systems. Developers are free to create their own variations, supplements, adventures and expansions, as long as they abide by the terms of the ORC license.

Classic Fantasy Imperative is available as a free, 155-page PDF with an accompanying Word file containing the entirety of the game text as a System Reference Document (SRD). The game is also available as a Print on Demand (POD) softcover book, priced at $29.99, from The Design Mechanism webstore and Lulu. A POD version will be available through DrivethruRPG in due course.

The Design Mechanism store: DownloadPOD
Lulu
DrivethruRPG

Don your armor, grasp your holy symbol, memorize your spells, and ensure you have all your lockpicking gear. Rumour has it that someone at the tavern is seeking adventurers for a special task, and your group may just fit the bill…

CFI Cover Medium.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Thank you very, VERY much Loz / TDM!!!

I admit I'm not following the "ORC"-Licensed world closely...  I'm pretty sure Chaosium's BRP:UGE edition was the first ORC game out the door... is this the 2nd?
Are there any others?

C'es ne pas un .sig

40 minutes ago, g33k said:

I admit I'm not following the "ORC"-Licensed world closely...  I'm pretty sure Chaosium's BRP:UGE edition was the first ORC game out the door... is this the 2nd?
Are there any others?

I've genuinely no idea. There may not be all that many just yet. I think that WotC back-tracking on their OGL changes, and then releasing the 5ed under Creative Commons may have taken the wind out of some of ORC's sails. But that doesn't mean it's not worth using the license to show support for independent creators and games companies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

52 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

... I think that WotC back-tracking on their OGL changes, and then releasing the 5ed under Creative Commons may have taken the wind out of some of ORC's sails ...

That was about how I thought their pivot to CC might turn out.
I expect the WotC (Hasbro) strategic thinking was kinda similar.  😒

52 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

... But that doesn't mean it's not worth using the license to show support for independent creators and games companies.

I can only imagine the dismay and outrage from the creatives who were working 100% within the OGL/D&D-compatible arena... the OGLpocalypse was an existential threat, with signs that Hasbro Legal would be coming to grab big bites of their revenue-stream.  Even if the buying public is moving on from an already-forgotten issue for them, I suspect there's more than a few "never again" creators, now perceiving WotC as an ever-present threat that has shown their true colors.

I have long-since moved my gaming almost-entirely(*) away from D&D (any edition); "class and level" is simply not to my taste (their cranking out class&c splatbooks & edition-churning simply reinforced that for me).  So I am 100% on-board with the ORC license & indie-creator & small-publisher support generally.

(*) Except for newbie-intro games for players not local to me -- my f2f group is non-D&D, but when I "catch-and-release" new gamers back to the wild, the ubiquity of D&D means I feel obligated to teach that rule-set, so they have a decent chance to find another group with whom to play.

Edited by g33k
(*)

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Are there any others?

Only one that I think is actually published that could be is pathfinder 2e and I’m not sure it is. CFI was fast out of the gate. 

on that note, https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=1921587&share_tid=4004&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tapatalk.com%2Fgroups%2Fdesignmechanism%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D4004&share_type=t&link_source=app is an errata thread to assist!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raleel said:

Only one that I think is actually published that could be is pathfinder 2e and I’m not sure it is. CFI was fast out of the gate. 

I'm about 90% certain PF2e was released under OGL1.0
A quick Google suggests my memory is correct, e.g.:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/932392-pathfinder-2e-use-ogl-license-orc-future

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

It is a very neat game, and the license part is very well worded. A good example of how to do a D100 game under the ORC. Congratulations to TDM and Rodney for a job well done, which will undoubtedly inspire thousands of hours of retro-gaming fun.

Thank you Paolo. That’s really appreciated. Actually, the wording around what ORC is, is taken almost verbatim from the ORC AxE (a great little FAQ doc accompanying the full license). It succinctly explains the intent, so was worth quoting with only a few small tweaks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, g33k said:

I'm about 90% certain PF2e was released under OGL1.0
A quick Google suggests my memory is correct, e.g.:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/932392-pathfinder-2e-use-ogl-license-orc-future

I believe they are rereleasing it under ORC with some updates. I don’t think it’s out yet however.