How to apply difficulty modifiers (Easy/Hard)

Saki

I don't quite understand what kind of situations I would call for a Easy or Hard difficulty skill roll.  My understanding is that rolls should only be called for at all in stressful, difficult, dangerous, or unusual circumstances - a driver shouldn't have to roll to drive to the store, a surgeon to perform a typical surgery in a hospital setting, etc. 

So if a roll must be perilous or uncertain to even happen, shouldn't any Easy task just happen without a roll?  Conversely, if a roll is determined to be needed, the task is already difficult and uncertain enough that calling for a hard task seems superfluous - Every task you roll for is hard, that's why you're rolling at all!

Any advice or suggestions here would be appreciated.

• Like 2

An "Easy" roll, IMHO, might be applied when someone not-entirely-qualified makes an attempt.

Someone who has had 1 flying-lesson hasn't likely ever landed a plane.
Making a routine landing might be an "easy" roll, but the student's mere 20% Pilot skill still makes it risky & stressful.

Similarly someone who's only ever flown a single-engine prop plane might be challenged flying a 4-engine jumbo jet.

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Saki said:

I don't quite understand what kind of situations I would call for a Easy or Hard difficulty skill roll.  My understanding is that rolls should only be called for at all in stressful, difficult, dangerous, or unusual circumstances - a driver shouldn't have to roll to drive to the store, a surgeon to perform a typical surgery in a hospital setting, etc. 

So if a roll must be perilous or uncertain to even happen, shouldn't any Easy task just happen without a roll?  Conversely, if a roll is determined to be needed, the task is already difficult and uncertain enough that calling for a hard task seems superfluous - Every task you roll for is hard, that's why you're rolling at all!

Any advice or suggestions here would be appreciated.

The way I see it, "Easy" is the stuff you normally wouldn't roll for, except for cases were a failure, though unlikely, might result in something particularly interesting and/or dangerous. If everything hinges on being able to convince a dim-witted guard that yes, you obviously ARE invited to the wedding, you just left your invitation at home, that should be easy, but if you fail, it might change the whole adventure from a social challenge to an infiltration.

And yes, I usually reserve penalties for stuff that is really damn hard. A normal roll already means it is a significant challenge, as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

If you don’t find them useful, don’t use them.

My suggestion would be to use Easy / Normal / Hard in relation to the specifics of the challenge, and decide if a roll is needed based on the wider circumstances and context.

An elite sniper whilst training will face challenges that are notionally Easy, Normal and / or Hard, but unless it’s an evaluation they are really invested in passing, it’s unlikely to be stressful circumstances that require rolls, and the GM can assess the overall outcome based simply on the characters skill. Stuck on a high mountain ledge with one chance to take out the tyres on the leading vehicle in an enemy convoy as a snow storm sweeps in on the other hand is stressful AND hard… the same shot, given two days to prep the snipers position and with perfect weather conditions still requires a roll, but is a normal (or possibly even easy) challenge.

Also, think about challenge in relation to skill. No one has to roll to drive to the store. But to get across town by a certain deadline? A character with minimal local knowledge probably needs to roll, and it’s probably hard; a native of the city who has worked as a delivery driver should still roll (there’s a deadline, so presumably story consequences for missing it…),  but given their expertise and knowledge, it’s probably an easy (and certainly not a hard roll)… but if the destination is say somewhere the newcomer knows well, that might be enough to mitigate their roll to Normal…

• Helpful 1

15 hours ago, Saki said:

Truth is, these adjectives are just technical game terminology, and you should avoid to tie these to your daily use of those words.

"Easy" means "a situation where there's a risk, but lower than usual", and "Hard" means "a situation where there's a higher risk to fail than usual".

Not all uncertain situations are equally uncertain.

• 1 month later...

I find at my table my players ALREADY know if a skill roll will be easy, or the opposite side of the spectrum, difficult. I think adding these variables to the mechanics has two or three possible results.

•The scene is more dramatic=win

•The scene shows off the characters great skill=win

• The scene is a fatal mistake=funny

Anything that adds to the fun (or tension) =WIN... even if occasionally it's a fail.

The biggest thing to remember is its NOT you (the Chronicler) against them (the player). These are your friends (or acquaintances if at a tourny) Either way the end result is for everyone to enjoy the scenario.

My players still talk about amazing successes AND stupendous, ridiculous  failures their characters have had over the years. Even a decade later those stories still come up. Tension. Excitement. Success. Failure. Laughs.

That's what it's all about.

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects