BRPC - Feature Request/Suggest

g33k

Hi, I'd like to suggest / request that either a "LookingForGroup" sub-forum or a pinned post be created in a bunch of Chaosium's forums... RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Rivers of London, etc.

Pinned atop each gamesystem-specific LFG sub-forum (or just a pinned LFG thread without a sub-forum) would be a top-post pinned with a format such as:

=== === ===
Player seeks Group (or Group seeks <n> Players)
F2F|PbP|Platform(s)
Day(s)/Time(s)/Timezone/(City/venue, for F2F) & Hours-per-session

Rules Used (version, substantive House Rules, etc)
Linkies for any public-facing player-resources (maps, art, campaign-specific character-creation guidelines, safety-tools, content-warnings, etc).

Blurb or Pitch for game
=== === ===

TYVM for considering it!

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/27/2023 at 3:08 PM, Joerg said:

Would a pinned thread here serve?

Honestly, I doubt it:  I regularly see people posting their LFG's in the various game-specific forae.  That seems to be the place people find it obvious to post...  I don't think a thread (here in the Inn) would serve anyone except the BRPC veterans (who already know to check); as per the thread-title elsethread, we want to keep the forum welcome to everyone!
😁

Also, folks seeking less-usual games might be discouraged in needing to wade through multitudes of CoC/RQ LFG's in search of the few relevant to their interests.

I'm willing to be wrong; but that's what seems best to me, as I considered the issues.

(ETA:  And I urge others to add their thoughts to the conversation!  However distinct my opinions, they're only one person's!)

Edited by g33k
typo
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I agree with @g33k. In fact, I would love to see this. 

I apologize if I seem passionate about this, but I have felt very frustrated because I don't see this. 

I have not been a member of this forum long, and I don't often contribute opinions but finding a RQ game was why I joined the BRPC Forum. Because Roll20 does not have many Games of RQ. And Reddit's LFG has no section for RQ, period. The unofficial Chaosium Discord has been really helpful in finding some games (it's the only space I see QW/HQ even mentioned as an option, and that's only as PbP). I only heard that the Discord existed once I was a member here on the forum.

I think a thread here would not be as easily found. Even pinned if you didn't know where to search for it, you would have to submit a Search function Query if it's not the last item commented on. I didn't know about the power of the search function on this site for months as a member here. A new person would have to ask the...mods? members? and that assumes they're comfortable with that. Even now knowing how to use the Search function, there's little to find. 

I know Chaosium is working with another company on this, and I'm sure it will work out in the long run for everyone. Until then...

• Like 2

Gonna just edit @Oldskolgmr's post, and bullet-point some items from it:

3 hours ago, Oldskolgmr said:

... but I have felt very frustrated because I don't see this. 

... finding a RQ game was why I joined the BRPC Forum.

Because Roll20 does not have many Games of RQ.

Reddit's LFG has no section for RQ, period.

I'm pretty sure @Chaosium sees "online gaming" as a growth path & revenue potential.

I respectfully suggest that making it easy for gamers to connect to play Chaosium games is one of the best ways to do that, and Chaosium's "official forums" is one of the best places to do that; it doesn't preclude other efforts in other places, but BRPC seems like an obvious (and pretty easy) one to implement.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I believe g33k is right.  Make it easy for people!  Don't require knowing or guessing some specific abbreviation iike "LFG" for search, and don't insist on only favoring one specific  channel like Roll20 or Discord..  In this case redundancy is good.

As for the most recent "other' way to do this, I have posted my observations here

And please make it easy to find from / on the Chaosium web site.  That is where the most new players will start looking.  Don't make specific search skills a barrier, don't make persistence a barrier. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...