VTT Options for Runequest

Kinjin

Thanks for all the info, got the module and game world installed. I have run into two issues. First issue when they log in and select create actor, they can plug in there stats, but they cant get to the bestiary open under the wiki to drag the human adventurer to there character sheet. I thought I had got around the issue by creating the actor for them assigning them as the owner and dragging the adventurer template to them, but now they cant edit their stats? I know its probably a setting or somethign simple i missing anyone able to point out what i have done wrong. 

Edited by DFinan

On 2/29/2024 at 5:31 PM, DFinan said:

Thanks for all the info, got the module and game world installed. I have run into two issues. First issue when they log in and select create actor, they can plug in there stats, but they cant get to the bestiary open under the wiki to drag the human adventurer to there character sheet. I thought I had got around the issue by creating the actor for them assigning them as the owner and dragging the adventurer template to them, but now they cant edit their stats? I know its probably a setting or somethign simple i missing anyone able to point out what i have done wrong. 

You need to put character sheet in edit mode (that "green mode" as in pictures earlier) for players (Only GM can do that). After which they can do everything. After that you can lock edit mode away and players can only do normal stuff.

About that bestiary stuff. You need to give players access to them. Default they dont have any access to them.

Edited by MiG-77
  • Helpful 1

Ok slowly but surely figuring things out got the people getting their characters entered, gear, skills, passions everythign working well so thank you for the assitance with the questions so far. One last thing I havent resolved is when they drag their cult to the character sheet it defaults them as a lay member, and they cant select cult rne magic. I can not seem to find a way to change them to an inititate, or for later a rune lord/ priest. 

Lastly is there a specific forum or discord location that the people who are updating the foundry wiki's monitor to ask questions and get help from? As always thanks for any info you can point me too. 

8 hours ago, DFinan said:

Ok slowly but surely figuring things out got the people getting their characters entered, gear, skills, passions everythign working well so thank you for the assitance with the questions so far. One last thing I havent resolved is when they drag their cult to the character sheet it defaults them as a lay member, and they cant select cult rne magic. I can not seem to find a way to change them to an inititate, or for later a rune lord/ priest. 

Lastly is there a specific forum or discord location that the people who are updating the foundry wiki's monitor to ask questions and get help from? As always thanks for any info you can point me too. 

Off the top of my head right click where it says Lay Member and select edit cult
image.png.2b7bc064d016a20633fb320f3dcbb83e.png

image.png.44000fff315f456fa79542f4100f3a67.png

Edited by dvdmacateer

That was my thought, but the drop down for cult rank is grayed out and cant be changed?,,,, NVM, I assumed because it was greyed out you couldnt change it I clicked on it and it let me change it thank you for the info. 

Edited by DFinan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I am looking for screenshots of RQG in any VTT, for inclusion in my forthcoming book An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest & Glorantha.

Are you happy for me to use your Foundry screen images above, @Tyrian Telbenj? Or do you have any @Dangermouse?

And does anyone have any for Roll20, showing the character sheet in use?

I believe the Fantasy Grounds version never happened?

• Like 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

14 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Like this?

Perfect! You can't go wrong with three duck characters on show!

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

21 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

Hi all. I am looking for screenshots of RQG in any VTT, for inclusion in my forthcoming book An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest & Glorantha.

Are you happy for me to use your Foundry screen images above, @Tyrian Telbenj? Or do you have any @Dangermouse?

Whilst I have installed the Foundry VTT implementation I havent actually got round to populating or playing it.

You might try reaching out on Githubb to the authors sun-dragon-cult/fvtt-system-rqg: Runequest Glorantha Foundry VTT system (github.com) or ask over on Discord https://discord.com/channels/170995199584108546/751202546512691331

Sorry I can't be of more help.

On 3/24/2024 at 10:50 PM, Brian Duguid said:

Forge (Foundry)

RQ.png?ex=6616fb8b&is=6604868b&hm=6b0c6d34cbf4c068857d14de06342b16b60faf570cb3c84b27df35abb06dc660&

13 hours ago, MiG-77 said:

Forge (Foundry)

RQ.png?ex=6616fb8b&is=6604868b&hm=6b0c6d34cbf4c068857d14de06342b16b60faf570cb3c84b27df35abb06dc660&

That looks quite impressive and gives me hope that the Foundry implementation might amount to something.  I did take a look at it but was put off by having to build a character sheet from lots of different components. I imagine it is far more flexible but, for my group, I can't see the benefit when Roll20 has a character sheet ready to go.

4 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

That looks quite impressive and gives me hope that the Foundry implementation might amount to something.  I did take a look at it but was put off by having to build a character sheet from lots of different components. I imagine it is far more flexible but, for my group, I can't see the benefit when Roll20 has a character sheet ready to go.

There is already player character template for humans. You just need to copy that and edit it for new characters. Beaty (and flaw if not implemented) is that Foundry will automate lot of things that Roll20 does not. In example that picture Makarios scored critical hit. You can automatically press "max Special damage" to get damage numbers, you get automatically experience marking corresponding skills. Target can just add that damage to whatever hit location was rolled, and vtt will reduce all armor (not from crit, but normal) from it, etc. Another neat feature of it is that when you create example some monster template. It has current stats and how they are calculated  -> when you drag and drop it to scene/map, Foundry automaticvally reroll those and you now have automatically small variety in monsters.

I tested both Roll20 and Foundry and decide to do my "starter set" campaign in Foundry (In Forge actually, but it is just cloud service for Foundry) as it is more complete even in its current state. Roll20 is just basically character sheet.

Edited by MiG-77

36 minutes ago, MiG-77 said:

There is already player character template for humans. You just need to copy that and edit it for new characters. Beaty (and flaw if not implemented) is that Foundry will automate lot of things that Roll20 does not. In example that picture Makarios scored critical hit. You can automatically press "max Special damage" to get damage numbers, you get automatically experience marking corresponding skills. Target can just add that damage to whatever hit location was rolled, and vtt will reduce all armor (not from crit, but normal) from it, etc. Another neat feature of it is that when you create example some monster template. It has current stats and how they are calculated  -> when you drag and drop it to scene/map, Foundry automaticvally reroll those and you now have automatically small variety in monsters.

I tested both Roll20 and Foundry and decide to do my "starter set" campaign in Foundry (In Forge actually, but it is just cloud service for Foundry) as it is more complete even in its current state. Roll20 is just basically character sheet.

Some clarification. On Roll20 community sheet creators are basically locked out of using compendiums.  The Roll20 sheet  displays all the result of the the attack and the range of  damage possible based on the roll result Success/Special.Critical and the hit location with one button click.
image.png.df443c6506a8d4c8ff5689e1a4fc4bf4.png

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 2:30 AM, MiG-77 said:

There is already player character template for humans

Really? All I found was this... no skills, no hit locations just some basic stats.  It seems every component of the character sheet needs to be added by hand. I've only loaded Foundry up as it has an RQ module so this could be user error and inexperience on my part... Where did you find the PC template for humans please?

image.thumb.png.284ebe33ce82be878be4aab3f3b8ddf1.png

Edited by RandomNumber

7 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

Really? All I found was this... no skills, no hit locations just some basic stats.  It seems every component of the character sheet needs to be added by hand. I've only loaded Foundry up as it has an RQ module so this could be user error and inexperience on my part... Where did you find the PC template for humans please?

What version of the system do you have installed? Newer versions have basic character sheets in the Wiki which is a separately installed  module.  
https://sun-dragon-cult.github.io/wiki
https://github.com/sun-dragon-cult/fvtt-module-wiki-rqg/releases/latest/download/en-module.json

.image.png.365fcfc7aa203457e016cbb47fd4a4d1.png

Edited by dvdmacateer

7 hours ago, dvdmacateer said:

What version of the system do you have installed?

Thank you - I found it.  I was looking for characters under the Actors tab and equipment under the Items tab.  Possibly not unreasonable assumptions for someone new to Foundry.

TBH, fiddling around with it reinforces the mixed feelings I have about Foundry in general. It's unquestionably more configurable and powerful than Roll20 but that requires a more comprehensive onboarding which is presently unsupported.

The base character sheet has no spells and the Combat skills seem to be limited to natural weapons. Five or ten minutes of experimentation and I managed to add a cult, find the field within a tab within a box to change my cult status and then add rune magic. Got it. As for combat I imagine there's a way to add weapons on the Combat tab but absent a user manual it's left to more frustrating experimentation. Dragging a weapon to the Combat section adds it as gear on the Gear tab.  Right-clicking the Combat section allows one to edit or delete the natural weapons but not add new ones...  Maybe it's not possible to have anything other than natural weapons in the Combat section?

But then characteristics like STR and CON - those seem to be fixed? Now clearly I'm missing something. More fiddling around and I found the unobtrusive icon to switch to edit mode.  That solves for characteristics but not for adding a weapon to the Combat section.  Grrrr.

I appreciate that this is WIP and it's clearly the product of a lot of work. I'd love to love it but it really seems like a test of faith at the moment.

Edited by RandomNumber

1 hour ago, RandomNumber said:

Thank you - I found it.  I was looking for characters under the Actors tab and equipment under the Items tab.  Possibly not unreasonable assumptions for someone new to Foundry.

TBH, fiddling around with it reinforces the mixed feelings I have about Foundry in general. It's unquestionably more configurable and powerful than Roll20 but that requires a more comprehensive onboarding which is presently unsupported.

The base character sheet has no spells and the Combat skills seem to be limited to natural weapons. Five or ten minutes of experimentation and I managed to add a cult, find the field within a tab within a box to change my cult status and then add rune magic. Got it. As for combat I imagine there's a way to add weapons on the Combat tab but absent a user manual it's left to more frustrating experimentation. Dragging a weapon to the Combat section adds it as gear on the Gear tab.  Right-clicking the Combat section allows one to edit or delete the natural weapons but not add new ones...  Maybe it's not possible to have anything other than natural weapons in the Combat section?

But then characteristics like STR and CON - those seem to be fixed? Now clearly I'm missing something. More fiddling around and I found the unobtrusive icon to switch to edit mode.  That solves for characteristics but not for adding a weapon to the Combat section.  Grrrr.

I appreciate that this is WIP and it's clearly the product of a lot of work. I'd love to love it but it really seems like a test of faith at the moment.

When you drag weapons/armor, etc to character sheet. You need also to equip those (sheet will automatically calculate ENC using only those things that are equipped on your character). Then they will automatically show up in combat tab with correct skills. Basically you just need to learn how to use Foundry and after is it way more complete than Roll20. What mostly is missing is Sorcery magic, and compendium for enemies, equipments, etc are still quite empty.

image.png.9c9eae3b522b0456e81354ebceaf7083.png

Edited by MiG-77
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandomNumber said:

It's a Beta
image.png.0cd78ff919e4bcdca8b53a361dea3ee4.png

I most thank GIMP's awful UI and text editor for the time I lost just to add some text to an image.

Edited by dvdmacateer
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

That can stay missing and I wouldn't notice.

Totally agree. You can do Sorcery aswell (create custom skill for spells), but you need to add all descriptions, etc for them. Our current campaign sorcery is used only as plot narrative (IE Enemy Lunar sorcerer might cast "powerful sorcery" and PC have couple rounds to act until something happens).

sure 🙂

On 3/24/2024 at 9:50 PM, Brian Duguid said:

sure, i will be very Happy 🙂