New to BRP

Heimdallsgothi

Forget werewolves. Slap your adventurers with shape-shifting, magic-wielding Japanese fox spirits! Immortal, playful in an ornery sort of way, prone to fall in love with handsome adventurers, don't necessarily want to kill the PCs but would love to perform some serious messing with their heads. As they age, they grow more powerful and gain additional tails, up to seven for the most dangerous spirits. Can be male or female but are liable to dog the heroes' steps in multiple guises as long as the PCs remain within their (rather large) territories. That cute girl, the doddering apple seller, the drunk at the inn, the inscrutable wood cutter -- are all the same creature, keeping tabs and plotting mischief. >:>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I've never seen the film, I feel like a cultural philistine now ;D

Yuo know the culture, just not it's source. Quite a few of the things that every assumes to o be part of werwolf and vampire legends come from the movies. It is somewhat significant to gamers, since it is mostly the film versions of monsters that the RPG analogs are based upon.

On the subject of were creatures ( even just wolves ) it's worth noting that traditions vary from culture to culture. Handy if your party members get too blase about how to fight what they meet.....

Yes, indeed, although you will probably see more variation in vampire legends that werewolf legends. Back when I was running CHILL, it was very important for the PCs to do thier homework and discover just what subtype of monster they had to deal with. Relying on vampies supposed vulnerabilty to sunlight has proven hazardous some some PCs health.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Yes, indeed, although you will probably see more variation in vampire legends that werewolf legends. Back when I was running CHILL, it was very important for the PCs to do thier homework and discover just what subtype of monster they had to deal with. Relying on vampies supposed vulnerabilty to sunlight has proven hazardous some some PCs health.

Interesting comment that. When I first started playing RPG'S I tended to design my monsters based on what ' everybody knows ' about a creature. So werewolves etc were vulnerable to silver a la Siodmak and so on. As I've got older ( I won't say more grown up ;-D ) I find myself looking at the source material eg folk tales, books of mythology etc etc

Dean Koontz' 1989 novel Midnight gives a different take on werebeings. A mad scientist is gradually infecting the residents of a small town with what today we'd call nanotechnology. The concoction makes subjects stronger, more durable, able to heal rapidly, etc., but it also erases their ability to experience emotions, although they can still remember their human feelings. In response, transformed community members try to fill the void by various means. A few engage in extreme athletic or sexual activities, trying to spark the sensations they once felt. Some become bestial hunters in much the traditional werewolf mode, except that after a certain number of transformations they get stuck partway through the process -- human enough to be horrified at what they are and regret what they've done but still needing to feed their animalistic urges. Others town residents seek relief by losing themselves online, literally merging with their home computers to become hideous immobile flesh and electronic hybrids. To me, this latter was even more disturbing than the beast-man trope. But you can imagine the former car enthusiast merging with his favorite sports car in an attempt to relive the enjoyment of his hobby. Koontz carried the were-thing to its logical conclusion -- if your super flesh is suddenly malleable to your will, you wouldn't be limited to wolf or cat or other animal form. You might transform into almost anything as long as you thought it would fill the emotional void created by the serum.

Interesting comment that. When I first started playing RPG'S I tended to design my monsters based on what ' everybody knows ' about a creature. So werewolves etc were vulnerable to silver a la Siodmak and so on. As I've got older ( I won't say more grown up ;-D ) I find myself looking at the source material eg folk tales, books of mythology etc etc

Yeah, me too. With me it was more a case of my being so famialr with what "everybody knows" that I didn't consider that the common beliefs were not part of the legends. Then I started reading books like Dracula, and discovered that the literary vampire was far differernt from the film vampire, and that got me to dig deeper.

QUOTE=Heimdallsgothi;41373]Well looking at classic monsters.... vulnerable to silver and magic..... 12 hps.... not so bad...

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont go heavy on the mythos, my kids played elfquest On their own at 8 and 10, a girl and boy. They loved it, had to wrestle RQ from them a couple times. LOL The mythos can cause problems use BRP rules or go light, use monsters they know already to give them a feel. Maturity is sometimes a must for the heavy games. My Son created Vampire Hunter D off Superworld, was actually quite good!