Stun Attacks

Atgxtg

Here's one for the folks with BRP Zero.

Does BRP have rules for stunner type weapons? I'm working on a Sci-Fi setting, and was wondering what the baseline rules are, if any.

So far I've considered:

1) Match damage vs. Hit Points on the resistance table

2) Roll damage is greater than HP target is stunned

3) Give the target a roll (HPx something) to resist

4) automatically stunned (per CoC)

If there something in "zero ' about this.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I haven't got my Zero Ed yet, but I'd go with your option (1) - for me that feels very BRP, and is scalable, elegant, and probably a rule you can generalise from for a number of situations.

Interesting to see what Zero Ed says though.

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I haven't got my Zero Ed yet, but I'd go with your option (1) - for me that feels very BRP, and is scalable, elegant, and probably a rule you can generalise from for a number of situations.

Interesting to see what Zero Ed says though.

Thanks. I started with Option 1, but will have to make the damages high to fit the setting. Like most SCi-Fi settings, people tend to drop like a poleaxed steer when hit by Stun.

CpOC just did it automatically, which would probably work, but I kinda like the idea of a roll of some sort.

I guess it is missing from Zero based on the Errata thread, so I guess I'll have to wait for the offical release.

Speaking of Stun... are there rules for Lethal and Non-Lethal wounds in BRP? I don't find the extra book keeping all that bothersome and it does make fistfights a little more sensible.

Good question. I don't think there is. I did up a CoC inspired one for my Western Spot rules if you want something that would be usable for a brawl. I just compare damage done to hit points on the resistance chart to see if they target get's knocked out.

Speaking of Stun... are there rules for Lethal and Non-Lethal wounds in BRP? I don't find the extra book keeping all that bothersome and it does make fistfights a little more sensible.

No. I don't believe so; or more adequately, I couldn't find any rules of this nature.

BRP Ze 32/420

The Spot Rules chapter has a section on Stunning and Subduing.

The footnotes from the weapons charts indicating "Look there" are inexplicably missing.

Jason, could you give me a hint as to how it's handled. It could be a few months before 1st edtion comes out my poor astonauts are defenceless. :D

IIRC match the "damage" against target's CON on the resistance table - if the damage overcomes the targest CON, the target is stunned (see Stunning Spot rule) for a few (1d3+1?) rounds, if the target resists they take minimum damage and are still conscious.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Thanks Nick.

I'll just have to pump up the damafges a little (it's one of those Sci Fi setting where "Stun" setting pretty much always drops people. So I'm probably wanting damage in the 20+ range. Couse it works like crap on aliens, but I didn't create the setting).

Hey! I just realized. While no one seems to shrug off a stun in the setting. A few people, especially the main characters, seem to recover from one a lot faster (in seconds) that they are supposed to (an hour).

So I guess I could run resisted stun attacks as dropping people for a few rounds rather than for an hour or so.

It might bend BRP a little, but fits the setting. Plus COC had the automatically successful Tasers, so I'm not straying too far from the source.

The Spot Rules chapter has a section on Stunning and Subduing.

The footnotes from the weapons charts indicating "Look there" are inexplicably missing.

Yes, I saw this section, but is vague on how one becomes stunned. I couldn't any reference to matching stun damage vs. Con to become stunned. It just explains the consequence of being stunned, but not how you become stunned.

Where does it explain how a person becomes stunned?

Also, the the second principal way to stun someone (blunt weapon) references the same page (232) which has no rules about blunt weapons on it.

BRP Ze 32/420

IIRC match the "damage" against target's CON on the resistance table - if the damage overcomes the targest CON, the target is stunned (see Stunning Spot rule) for a few (1d3+1?) rounds, if the target resists they take minimum damage and are still conscious.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

These rules/concepts about how stun works make sense to me, but I couldn't find any concrete reference to this in the ARC.

BRP Ze 32/420

These rules/concepts about how stun works make sense to me, but I couldn't find any concrete reference to this in the ARC.

BTW, I think I'll match the Stun against hit points rather than CON. My thinking is that larger creatures should be harder to stun than smaller ones. Same with drugs, too. It takes a lot more to knock out an elephant than a man. HP would handle that sort of nicely.

BTW, I think I'll match the Stun against hit points rather than CON. My thinking is that larger creatures should be harder to stun than smaller ones. Same with drugs, too. It takes a lot more to knock out an elephant than a man. HP would handle that sort of nicely.

That makes sense as well.

BRP Ze 32/420

Its one of the footnotes to the weapon tables that has apparently gone AWOL in edition zero...

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Now we know why they call them footnotes. They got up and walked away! :eek::D

As you know, I'm right with you there, though I understand why Jason did it on Con (heritage from the poison rules, which make a similar error IMO).

As you know, I'm right with you there, though I understand why Jason did it on Con (heritage from the poison rules, which make a similar error IMO).

I sort of expected that.

Plus it makes things a bit more interesting when the PCs ship crash lands on "Dinosaur Planet". It might take a few shots to stun a T-Rex.

I do miss the old 3D6 CON for nearly everything in RQ2. I don''t think Bears and Elephats get fewer colds.

Come to think of it, I should probably adapt form the SIZ chart for combined fire. So 2 stunners would get a +8, 4 +16 and so forth.

That would be suable for poisons too. Each doubling of the dosage adds +8 POT.