Dragon Ways

Hello all

is there a RQG book (already written or planned) describing what is draconic way(s) for human being in dragon pass ?

rules + background.

I imagine something like a cult book, with requirements, benefits, skills and spells, passions and values, etc...

that could be helpful for gm like me : ok the background says they are draconic mystics... and ? well there are draconic mystics 😜

After all players may want their characters to become draconic mystics (or any other term) or just to meet some of them in  a way different than a weird "decor or extra"

Of course I can create spells, etc... but I can do that for Orlanth, Seven Mothers, Yelm, etc... too. So the point is more what is the standard than how I can manage it by myself.

thanks a lot !

10 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Hello all

is there a RQG book (already written or planned) describing what is draconic way(s) for human being in dragon pass ?

rules + background.

There isn't.

The best way to handle it IMO would be get the Dragonewt Magic from the RuneQuest Glorantha: Bestiary p42 to P43 and use them to as Runespells.  Yes, the Dragonewts don't use Runepoints in their rune magics, Yes some Dragonewt spell effects last a lot longer than 15 minutes, but the human version of their magic would use both because they are using inferior spiritual senses.

The runic affinity in the Dragonewt Rune would be one's Spoken or Written Auld Wyrmish*.  Beaked Warrior magics require a minimum of 25% Auld Wyrmish to learn or cast.  Tailed Priest magics require 50%.  Full Priestly magic requires 75% and Draconic Illumination (which is based on the number of times you've spoken to a dragon).

*Spoken Draconic Magic is simple enough.  Written Magic requires the Magicians to make the required writing either on the ground or magically summoned lines of force (a la Doctor Strange).  There's also magical surgery but Draconic Magicians need that like another hole in the head.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, metcalph said:

There isn't.

The best way to handle it IMO would be get the Dragonewt Magic from the RuneQuest Glorantha: Bestiary p42 to P43 and use them to as Runespells.  Yes, the Dragonewts don't use Runepoints in their rune magics, Yes some Dragonewt spell effects last a lot longer than 15 minutes, but the human version of their magic would use both because they are using inferior spiritual senses.

The runic affinity in the Dragonewt Rune would be one's Spoken or Written Auld Wyrmish*.  Beaked Warrior magics require a minimum of 25% Auld Wyrmish to learn or cast.  Tailed Priest magics require 50%.  Full Priestly magic requires 75% and Draconic Illumination (which is based on the number of times you've spoken to a dragon).

*Spoken Draconic Magic is simple enough.  Written Magic requires the Magicians to make the required writing either on the ground or magically summoned lines of force (a la Doctor Strange).  There's also magical surgery but Draconic Magicians need that like another hole in the head.

sure that's an option, something I imagine. However there are three potential issues:

1) we don't know (aka chaosium rules) if the draconic illumination provides the same powers than dragonewt nature

2) we don't know if the draconic illumination gives some "point" in the :20-form-dragon: rune

3) we don't know if draconic power is based on auld wyrmish and not :20-form-dragon: rune

well I say "we don't know" but maybe it is "I don't know":)

there are a lot of smart house rules answers, in the same way than house rules about heroquest. but that 's house rules.

As of right now there is only one "Official" Dragon cult in the 3rd age; "The Sun Dragon" which was written up in the Cult Compendium. It is pretty bare on content.

The "Company of the Dragon"  by Andrew Logan Montgomery has a good Dragon cult It is part of his Six Seasons in Sartar campagne.  It doesn't interfere with your character's regular cult affiliation but can only be used sparingly.

Richard S had some good ideas for draconized Orlanth, the Sun Dragon and a draconic Humakt cults from the 2nd age on his BRP blog site. You can find them here;

Also Paul Baker in his "Whitestone Ruins" module had an interesting cult for Orlanth Storm Dragon which i think may have been influenced by the 2nd age MRQ book "Magic of Glorantha" for a EFW cult Covenant of the Storm Dragon. MRQ is verboten around here but they had some good ideas. His mechanics are interesting but it was written pretty much to be a thumbnail mainly for the GM to play the bad guys. My GM and I liked it enough to flesh it out a bit I have been using it for my character for some time. It is still a little rough around the edges but good enough for our purposes.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

"The Company of the Dragon" has a good 8 page chapter on Draconic Consciousness and Draconic Mysticism.

It is not too rules-oriented but provides nice ideas on which it is possible to expand and imho offers a very atmospheric background approach to it (comparable to a non chaotic way of Illumination that gives you specific benefits and allows access to Dragon Magic). It is also stated that Draconic Consciousness is what Dragonewts are trying to achieve. There is also a nice cult write up for the Company of the Dragon.

SPOILER (!):

Spoiler

Since the Wyter of the company is a dragon (Rainbow Wyrm) and the adventure tells parts of the Dragonrise as a playable episode, there are also bits and pieces on the subject throughout the book. Some off the episodes / scenarios center around very draconic stuff.

Additionaly Orlaront Dragonfriend is featured in the campaign (more so in parts 1 "Six Seasons in Sartar" and 3 "The Seven Tailed Wolf") with a few pieces of info on draconic subjects. He is still with Kallyr before he is off to Argrath. 

Edited by Aelex
  • Helpful 1

I will get my GM to look out for book @Godlearner as my wolf private just made captain of a ship, and it’s wyter is a dream dragon…actually two…but we won’t go there it might be confusing. But my char is discovering some cool dragon magic they have access to, so would be nice to see some more stuff on that and for draconic culture too….my char is draconically illuminated so on the path to enlightenment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...