BRP Subsystems

Darkholme

I'm looking for some tips as to where to look for specific subsystems.

So I'm thinking of planning out a game, and I want to make sure I have a few mechanical systems on hand as part of planning it out:

Chases, Ship to Ship Combat (Cannons), Mass Combat, House/Intrigue Rules (like a Song of Ice and Fire), and Organizational Conflict Rules (Like in REIGN).

I'm not looking for a direct analogue necessarily, but some sort of equivalent would be helpful. Which BRP Books have these things? Which of these things aren't available in BRP?

Welcome Darkholme, glad to see that you have come here from rpg.net.

Chases

The rules are in the core book. You need to adapt them a little bit, but not much.

Ship to Ship Combat (Cannons),

Try the RuneQuest Luxury SRD in the download section. It has no rules for cannons but it tells about ship combat.

Mass Combat,

I have written something in Crusaders of the Amber Coast, but it handles only a handful of soldiers, not entire companies. The MRQ1 "Legendary Heroes" had rules for these, but they are rather generic, nothing really BRP-related, so you might as well adapt rules from other games.

Another option is to use Warhamster. It is D6-based, but it is designed to handle miniature combat with miniature stats "translated" from BRP character stats. But these rules are only available in 20-year-old OOP magazines.

House/Intrigue Rules (like a Song of Ice and Fire), and Organizational Conflict Rules (Like in REIGN).

RQ Guilds and RQ Empires maybe. Both by Loz, so they are considered "Acme quality". You should be able to find a PDF of them from the RuneQuest Archive on DriveThruRPG, IIRC.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Welcome Darkholme, glad to see that you have come here from rpg.net.
Thanks! Glad to be here!

I've been looking into BRP just the past couple days. So far I'm liking it. I grabbed a copy of RuneQuest Vikings, and Chaosium's Elric! too. All look to be quite awesome. I'm kindof excited to try out this system to play in it or run it. Ideally, I want to find someone else to run it for me. lol.

The [chase] rules are in the core book. You need to adapt them a little bit, but not much.
Noted. If I have a hard time with Chases I will convert something from one of the other 6 or 7 systems on my shelf.

Try the RuneQuest Luxury SRD in the download section. It has no rules for cannons but it tells about ship combat.
Grabbed! There seem to be some more systems in there than in the Legend core book. Perhaps I'll get some good use out of them. :)

I have written something in Crusaders of the Amber Coast, but it handles only a handful of soldiers, not entire companies. The MRQ1 "Legendary Heroes" had rules for these, but they are rather generic, nothing really BRP-related, so you might as well adapt rules from other games.

Another option is to use Warhamster. It is D6-based, but it is designed to handle miniature combat with miniature stats "translated" from BRP character stats. But these rules are only available in 20-year-old OOP magazines.

Hmm. Alright. I'll see if I can hunt down Warhamster. If not, I hear Paizo's attempt at mass-combat is quite good. Perhaps I'll convert that. And I have the Mass Combat rules for Unisystem and D&D 3.5 on my shelf as well. I guess I can come up with something for that one if I have to. Would have been nice to have something I could just grab and use, conveniently located.

RQ Guilds and RQ Empires maybe. Both by Loz, so they are considered "Acme quality". You should be able to find a PDF of them from the RuneQuest Archive on DriveThruRPG, IIRC.
Noted. I'll be getting copies of those when I get to the part of planning where I need rules for Organizations or Empires. Thanks. :)

The Basic Gamemaster monograph from Chaosium has sailing ships and pre-firearms ship weapons / siege engines. IIRC the BGB has cannons and they are fairly easily integrated in to the ship rules from that monograph.

Nick

That Basic Gamemaster pdf looks good. You say no Cannons in that one though? What's BGB?

... You say no Cannons in that one though? What's BGB?

BGB = "Big Gold Book" - the core BRP rule book from Chaosium. There's a section in the Equipment chapter covering "Artillery" in three broad time periods - Ancient (non-firearms); Historical & Modern (Cannon and other firearm designs) and Advanced (Energy Cannon's, Railguns etc etc) pg 264 - 268

Nick

For Mass Combat I recommend Hordes of the Things - and the rules are here. Impeccable authentic wargame pedigree, simple (but nuanced) and surprising fun to play. And you only need one d6 ! (ok, two would be better). Plus a dozen or two snipped-up bits of cardboard (though, again, a few figures might be better).

HOTT is good for battles representing at least a few hundred on a side, I'd say, as it's all about command-and-control and morale (represented very slickly). But if you wanted something to bridge the gap between that and normal BRP individual-scale combats, I recently came up with some v.simple rules for scaling-up normal BRP - which worked out pretty well at a session the other weekend, so give me a shout. (Now, where did I put that...?)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Started to reply yesterday, but work took over and 5 hours after I had started, I gave up ...

I'm looking for some tips as to where to look for specific subsystems.

So I'm thinking of planning out a game, and I want to make sure I have a few mechanical systems on hand as part of planning it out:

Chases

The BRP Rulebook has a section on chases (p216-217) but they are mainly for motor vehicles and seem to have been plucked from Call of Cthulhu.

Ship to Ship Combat (Cannons)

RQ Pirates, which must rank in the top three of RQ supplements brought out by Mongoose. When they bring out Pirates for Legend then it is a must.

Mass Combat

RQ Hawkmoon:Granbretan has Mass Combat rules, but I've never used them. I think something else did, but I can't remember where it was. I need to do an index of all major rules in all the RQ supplements some time.

House/Intrigue Rules (like a Song of Ice and Fire)

I've never played Song of Ice and Fire, so I am not sure what you mean by this. RQ Empires and RQ Guilds and Factions have rules for dealing with organisations and states, but I am not sure if they are what you need.

Organizational Conflict Rules (Like in REIGN).

I haven't played REIGN, either, but again RQ Empires and Guilds and Factions have similar things.

I'm not looking for a direct analogue necessarily, but some sort of equivalent would be helpful. Which BRP Books have these things? Which of these things aren't available in BRP?

BRP books? Very few. RQ books? More. I treat them all as being the same anyway, so as far as I am concerned RQBRP and LegendBRP are the same as BRP.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

For Mass Combat I recommend Hordes of the Things - and the rules are here. Impeccable authentic wargame pedigree, simple (but nuanced) and surprising fun to play. And you only need one d6 ! (ok, two would be better). Plus a dozen or two snipped-up bits of cardboard (though, again, a few figures might be better).

HOTT is good for battles representing at least a few hundred on a side, I'd say, as it's all about command-and-control and morale (represented very slickly). But if you wanted something to bridge the gap between that and normal BRP individual-scale combats, I recently came up with some v.simple rules for scaling-up normal BRP - which worked out pretty well at a session the other weekend, so give me a shout. (Now, where did I put that...?)

+1. Whenever I need to resolve a large battle in a fantasy game, I usually turn to Hordes of the Things as well.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.