Neep Troll Killer

5 hours ago, theconfusingeel said:

I imagine it won't be that different from the old material

9 hours ago, Darius West said:

Well that's just sad.  Trollpak is an excellent document.

Yes it is sad, not really about Neep but sad...

I love the old material, Trollpack, etc. and will keep using it. Apple Lane was great, why did Rainbow Mounds need to be changed? It should not have been rewritten at all. There should have been a new scenario in a new local, it was a failed shortcut IMHO.

I can't wait for new material, scenarios and the like, areas not detailed previously. The more on the elder races, besides protecting a grove or attacking it, the better. Give me a book on Troll Woods or Dwarf Mine with good detail and maps with scenarios related. For how short they were RQA were great campaign additions.

I really don't need more material on how to generate a PC in a certain area, what their parents did or how adult initiation rites are different one local to another...

Exploring ruins and finding EWF stuff is the fun of old. 

How interesting would it be to be a member of the Temple of the Wooden Sword, to have a campaign book like that written similar to say Griffin Mtn... Company of the Dragon would be a newer campaign book that shines as does the Pavis series (although some refurbished material) is also very good.

I still hope for Jaja's Adventures in Nochet... and of course the Heortland book. 

The adventures of Neep Trollsbane and how to run a campaign with him, as him or against him would be a great book. This could be an expansion of Into Troll Realms or Haunted Ruins.

Almost all the old material has its use, I just can't find where Neep is linked to the Temple of the Wooden Sword and it to the Muchrooms, Grubfarm, etc.... we'll come up with something though I doubt it would be through trollball in Crabtown as Londra would have been mistaken as the ball being smaller than a trollkin?

24 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Apple Lane was great, why did Rainbow Mounds need to be changed?

Would you not want to introduce these great locales to the new generation of RQG players? I don't see anything wrong with updating either locale 10+ years on, and personally was quite pleased to see both return with something new.

26 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Give me a book on Troll Woods

Assuming the Heortland book gets to print one of these days, you'll get something on that one.

27 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I really don't need more material on how to generate a PC in a certain area, what their parents did or how adult initiation rites are different one local to another...

Exploring ruins and finding EWF stuff is the fun of old. 

That all depends upon the type of game you're running, and for a lot of us investing in the community situations are what drive story and interest. I think the overwhelming success of Six Seasons is a testament to that.

30 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I still hope for Jaja's Adventures in Nochet... and of course the Heortland book. 

As noted elsewhere, I'm working on the former. (And I already did the work on generating a PC in the area, so don't need to repeat that! 😉 )

32 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

The adventures of Neep Trollsbane and how to run a campaign with him, as him or against him would be a great book.

Since some of that appeared in the old Unspoken Word Thieves' Arm work, perhaps that story is up to its creators to update for RQG?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Would you not want to introduce these great locales to the new generation of RQG players? 

Absolutely but would use the old material as is. YGWV and so the dates being used to drive new players into a certain time frame is sad. They miss so much good older material. Simply adopt it but don't take away the opportunity to run through the original Rainbow Mounds...  maybe create a new set of caverns somewhere else yet detailed?

BTW if the setting is rainbow mounds in the future what group of PC's did you run with 20 years ago that didn't run Whiteye through or at least out of town? He shouldn't be a prisoner, he's a villain at least he used to be.

That all depends upon the type of game you're running, and for a lot of us investing in the community situations are what drive story and interest.

I think if there is a desire to get younger players involved there needs to be some adventuring, more so than having dark conversations in taverns in the game. Sure all that leads to Herbi giving a map but its a very small percentage of game time. Neep has a map and is looking for PC's to go kick troll butt.

Curious what the demographics is for RQ players. (Nothing to do with Neep.) How many under 20 years old were at the Con?

Since some of that appeared in the old Unspoken Word Thieves' Arm

P.31 didn't see that linked/noted anywhere noting Neep.

It has Sazdorf link to Wooden Sword...

Thank you as always Jaja!

image.png.8a4256063fccba08425e5a2f46bd2893.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

3 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

How many under 20 years old were at the Con?

Had a fair mix of ages. Con is not something you'll get too many under 20 at given the need to travel in with parents, but both Jeff's kids were there and some others. There were definitely under 30 folks there (probably more of those for CoC, but Home of the Bold attracted a good mix).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, theconfusingeel said:

Having to buy decades old books to play the game wouldn't be a very good idea.

Chess, checkers, cards... not saying you have to buy decades old items, just don't rewrite them, make a new scenario, IMHO.

If anyone has converted Neep to RQ from HQ stats please post of give thoughts on conversion... from previous note seems not "simple" to convert to HQ.

Actually glad the recent RQ release is similar to the old RQ2-3 system in many ways.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Chess, checkers, cards... not saying you have to buy decades old items, just don't rewrite them, make a new scenario, IMHO.

If anyone has converted Neep to RQ from HQ stats please post of give thoughts on conversion... from previous note seems not "simple" to convert to HQ.

Actually glad the recent RQ release is similar to the old RQ2-3 system in many ways.

I think the main points I would draw for recreation of Neep (thinking in RQ2 terms) are that he would be a Rune Lord or Rune Priest of Humakt, probably a Rune Lord, and with over 100% in one of his weapon attacks and parries. He would be a member of a hero subcult of Humakt that would have to be detailed that would give some troll-fighting magic. 

And I would probably represent some of his other abilities by the additional skills noted in the "players and singers" guild in the RQ2 core. As far as stats go, that's something where I might set them to "reasonable" and where I might just generate most of them randomly. Same thing with an Allied Spirit, bound spirits, and so on.

I think the big details would be- experienced Sword of Humakt, dashing and charming, with ways to express his charisma, member of new subcult. And obviously, one of his geases would be to never drink liquor!

Edited by Eff
  • Like 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 5/8/2024 at 8:07 AM, John Biles said:

And Trollpak is no longer canon.  People can use it in their own games, but basically, all that's gone down the memory hole.

This is simply not true. Jeff Richard considers Trollpak canonical, and has said so in public. Source. Please don’t make up alarmist rumours when it’s easy to check.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

This is simply not true. Jeff Richard considers Trollpak canonical, and has said so in public. Source. Please don’t make up alarmist rumours when it’s easy to check.

My apologies.  I saw a different list that didn't have even half of what's on that one.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eff said:

I think the big details would be- experienced Sword of Humakt, dashing and charming, with ways to express his charisma, member of new subcult. And obviously, one of his geases would be to never drink liquor!

I imagine with an iron shortsword with high skill he'd impale frequently and do double damage past armor, add some sort of blessing to do double damage and he'd be doing quadruple damage to trolls past armor. Throw in a truesword spell and its one heck of a poker...

It's almost like he's a sort of bard-swordsman with a plumed hat and colorful cloak, a real ladies trollkin. Thanks!

• Thanks 1