"The Six Paths" RuneQuest sourcebook about non-traditional gender roles is PWYW, with proceeds going to Mermaids and Transgender Law Center

MOB

The Six Paths

The Six Paths is Edan Jones's sourcebook about non-traditional gender roles among the Orlanthi barbarians of Glorantha, setting for the RuneQuest TTRPG. Beautifully illustrated by 2021 Greg Stafford Award winner Katrin Dirim, it includes six example characters exploring the gender identities.

This Gold bestseller Jonstown Compendium release is Pay-What-You-Want*, with the creators asking you to please consider donating whatever amount you would have paid for this to your local LGBT+ charity.

If you do wish to pay, please note that the author share of proceeds are donated to the UK charity Mermaids, while Chaosium's share is donated to the Transgender Law Center.

Margaret Gill, Katrin Dirim, and Alex Hall all provided guidance, and the 28 page softcover print edition was prepared by Nick Brooke.

Here's what RuneQuest fans have to say about the book:

• "The Six Paths goes a long way towards opening up the space of possibilities implied by the six genders enumerated in the RuneQuest core book, and does so in a very charming and delightful way that's truly beautifully illustrated." — Greta.
  • "I love this book. It added the last pieces of the puzzle to wrap my head around the way the Orlanthi view sex and gender. It makes in-world sense yet is very different to how we in the modern day view these same questions." — Jon.
  • "An interesting take on what can be an awkward subject... Overall, it is a purchase I would recommend." — Peter.
  • "Very interesting content about myths, cults and the society of the Heortlings, and all gorgeously illustrated. One of the best ways to show why Glorantha is so unique." — Javier.
  • Well-written and beautifully presented. Six Paths discusses gender, sex, and sexuality with nuance and care... The Six Paths goes above-and-beyond other LGBT-advocacy publications by entwining its material with established lore of the setting." — Austin.
  • "As a fellow creator on the Jonstown Compendium, I expect that Six Paths will earn its place dozens of times over in the “RuneQuest Reference” section of my bookshelves." — Akhelas.

*if you order the print version, the minimum you must pay is USD$3.29 to cover the materials cost.

The Six Paths
  • Like 4

As always, I'm honoured by the support people have given this book. From the work given by my sensitivity and proofreaders, and the incredible art by Katrin Dirim; to everyone who purchased a copy and those who offered feedback and reviews.

I continue to be glad that it's of use and/or interest to Glorantha fans and others, and offer thanks to you all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I made an account just so I can comment on this! I’ve been looking for something like this for probably a year, and it is totally worth the wait!  Gender identity in the ancient world is one of my favorite topics and seeing it brought so cleanly into RuneQuest is a godsend.

Although interested in project Six Paths as a book, I can't in good conscious support it.  Especially since it supports a charity (Mermaids) with a nebulous and often controversial history and reports of negligence by those in its ranks.  I am by no means, anti trans, and support people on their own personal journey  how ever my personal experiences as nuerodivegent, having knowledge of medicine and the history of psychiatric treatements and massive misteps in its development especially in regards to child psychology(and experience as a participant in said misteps) and the nature of the human animal towards activism and zealotry of beliefs (no one is a bigger believer than a convert, and essentially discovering a brand new hammer to use on the nails of the world, actually a collection of fasteners, screws, bolts, rivets, sewing needles and a misplaced golf pencil).

And it wasn't those on the conservitive anti lgbtq that shaped this opinion, but rather the rhetoric and mission statements of said activists and members of pro trans rights (aimed at children), and previous experience witnessing similar patterns in behavior with other belief structures (any school of philosophy can be turned into a cult with dogma).  Mermaids may have good intentions but so did DARE.

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 2:56 PM, Videopete said:

Although interested in project Six Paths as a book, I can't in good conscious support it.  Especially since it supports a charity (Mermaids) with a nebulous and often controversial history and reports of negligence by those in its ranks.  I am by no means, anti trans, and support people on their own personal journey  how ever my personal experiences as nuerodivegent, having knowledge of medicine and the history of psychiatric treatements and massive misteps in its development especially in regards to child psychology(and experience as a participant in said misteps) and the nature of the human animal towards activism and zealotry of beliefs (no one is a bigger believer than a convert, and essentially discovering a brand new hammer to use on the nails of the world, actually a collection of fasteners, screws, bolts, rivets, sewing needles and a misplaced golf pencil).

And it wasn't those on the conservitive anti lgbtq that shaped this opinion, but rather the rhetoric and mission statements of said activists and members of pro trans rights (aimed at children), and previous experience witnessing similar patterns in behavior with other belief structures (any school of philosophy can be turned into a cult with dogma).  Mermaids may have good intentions but so did DARE.

Note fwiw that "DARE" was a program instituted by cops & politicians.
It wasn't medically founded or based on medical research; that I have found, NONE of the actual academic research ever supported DARE's approach.
I don't think this is a valid comparison.

I am largely in agreement that the medical establishment has a poor history of serving -- or even understanding -- neurodivergence.  Nevertheless, I think your concern misplaced, here.

Mermaids seems to be following "best practices" & understandings of the most recent perspective.  This is NOT based on prior methods' top-down judgment of older conventional researchers (who lack understanding or empathy).  It's strongly-informed by the trans community itself, but also relies upon outcomes-based research.

Gov't "Charity Commission" inquiry into Mermaids is based on issues of "Governance" & adherence to legal frameworks & eligibility for charitable status.  It's "regulatory compliance" not related to treatments or support of youth.

Similarly, most whistleblower reports seem to be complaints about workplace internal culture & "oppression" of the staff; the CEO resigned when this came out.

I have yet to see -- except from pretty explicitly anti-trans sources -- criticisms of how the organization treats children.
(of course, I may have missed such; pointers/citations welcome)

Edited by g33k
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Videopete said:

Although interested in project Six Paths as a book, I can't in good conscious support it.

It is "Pay what you want" and the encouragement to donate to a charity of your choice if you wish to do so if you don't want to support mermaids. While a 0$ contribution won't count as a sale on the JC charts, you can still access the material and do good.

Edited by Joerg
spelling
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 4:51 PM, tzunder said:

What a lovely looking publication.

Shame to have to spoil the cover with the JC logo. Makes my copies collectable though, I suppose!
Actually I'm not sure, have the print files been updated to include the logo?

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2