runequesting.com - now in beta

RuneQuesting is an online toolset designed to help you and your friends both run and play a game of RuneQuest.

Fully licensed by Chaosium, it provides a character builder that will step you through the entire character creation process, from selecting an initial homeland through to rolling for any heirlooms you might be carrying. Alternatively, there is quick build option that will create a blank character, that you can then use to import your favourite characters into the system. 

Once loaded, the system supports almost all aspects of the core rulebook, from attacking with a weapon, to casting spells, to adding a bound spirit, and much much more. Dice are rolled on the screen in front of you, and if you are playing as part of a campaign, the results are also visible to other players via a message window.

Campaigns allow you to link characters into an online campaign, where you can add entries to a game log, view other characters, organise your campaign, and generate realistic NPCs. 

Please note that the application is currently still in beta, and while every effort has been made to eradicate any issues, you may still come across them from time to time. There is a feedback option on the site that will enable you to provide details of any problems, or alternatively you can join the Discord server to discuss the application, what you think is good, what can be improved, and any problems you encounter. 

There is a great deal planned for the application, so keep an eye out here or on the Discord server for further announcements

To discover more, go to https://runequesting.com

Edited by Gamesmeister
  • Like 10
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 3

Following that announcement, here's what's coming soon

• Sorcery. The system does not currently support sorcery, but it's very high on the list of priorities and you won't have to wait too long 
  • New NPC templates. Currently there are only Dark Trolls available, but this list will be expanded to include much of the RuneQuest Bestiary
  • Campaign content. The ability to store images, handouts and other content and then share it with the players is a very important aspect of online gaming for the GM, and this is also on the horizon

After that, we have a very long list of upgrades planned, which we'll be able to share as the application continues to develop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gamesmeister said:

Please check your spam folder, it may have ended up in there

I retried from the beginning and this time it let me complete registration.  Same email, same password.  I have no idea what changed.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
typing
  • Like 1

Ooh, that dice-rolling animation is fun. Running notes while making a test character.

When adding bonus points (if your stats are too low), I believe RAW you can only add up to a base of 18. I had a really lousy statline but got CHA 17, and it let me add over 18.

Heavy infantry doesn't list Orlanth as a common cult for the occupation?

Scrolling in the blue side parts of the web page doesn't make the center move. Don't know if that's on purpose or a bug.

Might be worth noting which Rune spells are from the god, and which are associate cults. (Yes, this is super trivial, but could be useful info - I can see a player going "What do you mean Lhankor Mhy is pissed at me?" not knowing they're probably a lay member because Analyze Magic is available from the starting Orlanth cult list.)

I don't see a way to sacrifice POW during character creation for additional spells, though I assume adding them later is pretty trivial.

Should the cult skill drop-downs include Cult Lore, Meditate, Worship? I've always allowed players to put the bonuses in these but TBH I don't actually recall if they're allowed RAW or not.

really like the drag-and-drop interface for personal skill bonuses. That's a really handy way to create them.

Ooh, I also like that it auto-generates family members with ages and names. That's really good. I often don't end up including them in my games because convincing players to spend even more time in character creation tends to be difficult.

I'm not sure if the names given are gendered as usual - I think Gara is that old priest in the RuneQuest Starter Set?

image.png.80fab3ba8ed5ac9ae1463ee9990ab965.png

the awakened companion's reference is correct to the text in the core rules, but the Weapons & Equipment book actually has the statblocks. The Glorantha Bestiary does not have statblocks for tiny critters.

Heh, the loading messages amused me.

Overall, this is really slick. Nicely done! I can't wait to hear about how it goes for people with new campaigns. Kudos to Chaosium for licensing you to do this - w/ the recent bundle I hope it helps a lot of new people try out the system.

As a starting point for material from the Glorantha Bestiary, maybe integrate the hit location tables from the front of the book into the character sheet attack section? That way players can just go to the correct table and roll for damage. I think this could implement a new feature quickly, rather than trying to get whole NPC sheets into the platform.

The details describing the weapon when you focus on it are really cool. Same with details for other Runes, Passions, skills, etc. There's oodles of playability here.

I could see including Dodge over with the "combat stuff" making sense.

I like that the skills are alphabetical. I've watched a number of newbies struggle with finding skills on the paper sheet. Is there a way to add new/custom skills?

I don't see the awakened familiar from character creation in the "Magic & Magic Items" tab. (Family heirloom) Should that have been added automatically?

Graphically, I overlooked the "Edit Character" button for about 10 minutes because it's red, not blue. 😅 That may just be me, though.

I'm looking forward to fiddling with this. Gotta put my trickster shaman in to try out how putting in an established character feels. I'm curious how well this will run on tablets/phones etc. too.

Well done!

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Thanks for all the great feedback, thats much appreciated. I wont respond to all of it now but just a heads up that while you should be able to comfortably use the app on a tablet, a phone may be a problem as more work is required there.

• Like 2

Cannot get past rune selection page. On iPad. First tried safari, then tried chrome. Neither worked.

cannot select the primary rune box at all and cannot select primary rune types, air, sometimes can select darkness and others, but cannot assign as main etc

Starting the character build, I click o Sartar and then on the ? button/  I get the info box.

Now I can't make the info box go away, and can't progress beyond homeland.

This strikes me as a bug.

Also, if i click on the eye icon, I see the "current build:" box.  But it does nto have anything in the "homeland" line.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
also

1 hour ago, Geoff R Evil said:

Cannot get past rune selection page. On iPad. First tried safari, then tried chrome. Neither worked

Apologies, the shift in modality of UI caught me out. Found out once I used help. Rtfm. However that caused a different issue, could not clear the help side panel….same with other side panels that pop up sometimes. I found way to do it from char gen was jump to campaign setup, back to char, start agai, it’s saved to last stage, then continue

3 hours ago, Geoff R Evil said:

Apologies, the shift in modality of UI caught me out. Found out once I used help. Rtfm. However that caused a different issue, could not clear the help side panel….same with other side panels that pop up sometimes. I found way to do it from char gen was jump to campaign setup, back to char, start agai, it’s saved to last stage, then continue

Do you know what screen resolution you're using? This sounds like it's too small to display the whole panel, and so you can't see the close button. I'll take a look at that as it will effect your use of the character sheet as well (all panels are the same size) 

3 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Starting the character build, I click o Sartar and then on the ? button/  I get the info box.

Now I can't make the info box go away, and can't progress beyond homeland.

This strikes me as a bug.

Also, if i click on the eye icon, I see the "current build:" box.  But it does nto have anything in the "homeland" line.

Again, not being able to make the box disappear sounds like a resolution issue as above, i'll take a look at that. Are you sure you've selected Sartar? Do you have the description at the bottom of the screen?

The current build dialog box will only show your character sheet up to the point where options are confirmed i.e. you've clicked Next. Once you move to the next step you will then see your Homeland showing

I was using chrome on std MacBook Pro screen settings, will check and advise later on resolution, but I remember it is smaller than std top to bottom. I will connect a large monitor and try again, see if it solves it when I get home tonight.

I know how hard it is to design something like this for various screen sizes, but blocking the top of content page with the top bar should not happen by default. Of course then you have the issue of when the rest of screen content does not fit down the page. I struggled a little when dragging some of the skills up to the bonus selection boxes, especially if, for example, I was trying to drag from the stealth section at the bottom of the page, again due to screen resolution.

I did stop testing on the iPad, I can see you have not fully grappled with smaller screen sizes yet, which is fine. I will focus on testing functionality on larger screens for now.

But just to add again … it feels very much like it’s heading in the right direction, good work.

• Like 1

The old MacBook Pro I use defaults to resolution 2880x1800, related to the issues I listed above.

BTW just making edit access gives you a lot of opportunity to fine tune the chat sheet after basic creation, so nice work.

would be nice to be able add skills into sections (agility knowledge etc) as that seems an immediate restriction on creating and maintaining the character in this environment.

7 minutes ago, Geoff R Evil said:

would be nice to be able add skills into sections (agility knowledge etc) as that seems an immediate restriction on creating and maintaining the character in this environment.

Yes, that option has come and gone over the various design iterations, it will be returning at some point

• Like 1

I tried this last night - very fluid and intuitive (aside from the rune selection - took me a while to realise I had to drag and drop them). The dice seem to hate me, though, and on practically all of my tried (half a dozen or so), it gave me 3 more points to add.

I also had trouble with the side box covering part of the UI and there being no way to close it (on a laptop at the moment). I had to zoom out the web page to make the elements smaller to see the "next" button".

Also trouble with the side box here.  I've got my monitor size internally boosted to help out with crappy eyesight. 

It played very nice otherwise, impressive and smooth.  I could see this being very, very useful.  The straight characteristic rolls were a surprise:  No gm I know does that. One or two of them did spark story elements though. One thing I noticed was that all my siblings were sisters, across the three different characters.  Lots of siblings, all sisters.

Anyway, was fun, worked great, bravo.   Now if I can just roll up that baboon raised by Morokanths.... 😉

Upon a couple of more tests, I was left wondering if it would be possible to see your previous selections when proceeding with your character generation. For example, you choose your Rune affinities early on, but your cult much later - by which point it would be handy to see how you set your rune affinities to understand which cult offers the most suitable rune magic for your character. Also, it would be great if the system also showed the names of the runes - I'm yet to learn to identify them from the symbols alone.

• Like 4

The side panel has obviously caused quite a few problems on smaller screens, so I've done some work to resolve that. If you found you were previously unable to interact with it, please try again as that will hopefully now be fixed for you 

I attach a screenshot of my view. This is in fullscreen mode on my old laptop that I lug around to our summer place. This is at normal zoom. From here, I need to zoom out to see the x to close the sidebar.

But, I can now see an eye icon on the left to view my current build! I'm not sure if it was there before, but it's great! 🙂

Näyttökuva 2024-07-21 180641.png

• Helpful 1

Just signed up.

It looks like my initial password was inadequate?
But there was no error message... just, nothing happened.

When I entered a stronger password, the account creation proceeded smoothly.

An error-message or other guidance would be good there!

===

The spirit-magic spell "Sleep" seem to be broadly available.

So far as I know, it "should be" restricted to Chalana Arroy.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig