GASP!

MrJealousy

At the moment, the book is sat on my bookshelf, unopened for 6 months, whereas the PDF keeps being dipped into whenever I want to check a rule.

I'd go for the PDF, then once you have saved up, buy the BGB.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I have to agree. My book has only been opened twice to look through it, but rules are always referenced using the PDF. It is just so much faster to find them (search function). Also, if you have a PDF editor, you can add bookmarks to it, making it even better. I do not want to miss my hard copies, though. ;)

I bought the hardcover BGB a few weeks ago from Amazon. Last night I got the PDF to Magic World (and after Chaos points it was only $9.99- helluva deal!). I can always print it out, and seeing how I'm learning bookbinding I actually have a project other than journals/notebooks. Eventually I'll make it a hardcover. :)

Thanks for the advice!

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Yep, since I moved to Australia, I learned how to bind my own books very quickly. A bit of Wood-glue, a press and some japanese paper ... easy made softcover. I sometimes do the saw-in stitching as well to keep them from falling apart. And I find this procedure is only marginally more time consuming than using a binding machine. ;t)

I do agree with what is said above. With BRP, PDF may be the best choice for many reasons:

1) It's easier to search through it.

2) You don't have to search a lot through it during play. Almost all what you need is written on the character sheet and the rest is very easy to memorize... In other role playing games, to the contrary, you have to search a lot through the books during game; then, unless playing with a computer or tablet right on the table, PDF may not be the best choice.

3) With a PDF, you can print only what you need and have a much thinner book: tables, lists of skills, powers and equipment, character sheets, and that's all. Most of what is written in a role playing game is hints, important hints, but hints that you don't need anymore once you read and understood them. Here again, this is true with rule light games but not with rule heavy ones where you would have to print most of the book.

4) You've got the PDF as soon as you ordered it!

5) The PDF is cheaper; then, you can choose to buy the physical book only if it is very interesting for you.

Furthermore, when you want to buy both and wait enough time between the PDF and the physical book, you can have a very good surprise – like I did with the Big Golden Book: a revised edition, with minor (but very interesting) changes, beyond simple erratas. The rules about shield and knockout attacks, for instance, are different between my PDF and my physical book.

Darned. I took advantage of the discounts and placed an order, only to noticed I had accidentally purchased one electronic book I had no intention to. I also managed to download it before realizing what had happened. Does anybody know if Chaosium will accept a "return" of the PDF? They probably won't, which is understandable, but I thought I might ask you guys here before embarassing myself by trying to contact Chaosium. :-/

Darned. I took advantage of the discounts and placed an order, only to noticed I had accidentally purchased one electronic book I had no intention to. I also managed to download it before realizing what had happened. Does anybody know if Chaosium will accept a "return" of the PDF? They probably won't, which is understandable, but I thought I might ask you guys here before embarassing myself by trying to contact Chaosium. :-/

No they don't and that goes for any electronic sales normally.

Tea and Madness

I was gonna take advantage of the GASP! sale before it ends tomorrow by ordering the Magic World book for only $27.27. All said en well but when I got to the shipping page and the cheapest shipping cost was $40.55! That made me hesitate quite a bit. Including the lower sale cost it would equate to 445.75 SEK in my currency! I decided to check what it would cost to order it from a swedish company that is not famous to have to lowest prices. From them the Magic World book would cost 377.00 SEK including shipping and no sale. So I am sorry Chaosium no deal for me!

The bookstore I usually order it from still don't have the Magic World in stock and they usually have very nice prices.

I was gonna take advantage of the GASP! sale before it ends tomorrow by ordering the Magic World book for only $27.27. All said en well but when I got to the shipping page and the cheapest shipping cost was $40.55! That made me hesitate quite a bit. Including the lower sale cost it would equate to 445.75 SEK in my currency! I decided to check what it would cost to order it from a swedish company that is not famous to have to lowest prices. From them the Magic World book would cost 377.00 SEK including shipping and no sale. So I am sorry Chaosium no deal for me!

The bookstore I usually order it from still don't have the Magic World in stock and they usually have very nice prices.

Check with capris.se/http://www.adlibris.com/se/default.aspx If they don't have it, they may get it if you ask :)

otherwise have you checked Amazon?

Tea and Madness

I have checked Adlibris and they didn't have it. No need to bother them about it since there are plenty of other suppliers here in Sweden that do carry it. I was planning to use Magic World when I first heard about it as a base for my future fantasy campaign but have since fallen for RuneQuest 6 and went that way instead. Was gonna pick up MW anyway just to support it and loot the sample setting that just seems like a perfect fit into my homebrew campaign world. Probably plenty of other stuff I can and will loot from the book.