Hit Locations (a question for Jason & Sam)

FunGuyFromYuggoth

I first want to say that I am very happy with Jason (Durall) and Sam's (Johnson) update of the BRP rules in Edition Zero. I have been playing roleplaying games for going on 25 years now and was thrilled to see that somebody was going to try to bring it together. Excellent work! Thank you for your contribution to gaming!

I did want to query them on the rules about Hit Locations. I have been using the "Call of Cthulhu" hit location rules (first seen) in "Cthulhu Now." The spread of hit locations from 1-20 are slightly different between the version the new BRP rules and in "Call of Cthulhu." Can you tell me what the thought process was behind this decision? Thank you.

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Can you tell me what the thought process was behind this decision? Thank you.

The hit locations in CoC were, if I guess correctly, emphasizing firearms as the primary weapons, or larger than human creatures swinging down at humans (both favor hits to the upper body over the legs).

I chose the hit location rules from RQ, as they emphasize a spread one would achieve in hand-to-hand combat. I've since added the "missile fire" hit location chart to the edits that Charlie is now integrating into the manuscript, so you've got the best of both worlds.

The hit locations in CoC were, if I guess correctly, emphasizing firearms as the primary weapons, or larger than human creatures swinging down at humans (both favor hits to the upper body over the legs).

I chose the hit location rules from RQ, as they emphasize a spread one would achieve in hand-to-hand combat. I've since added the "missile fire" hit location chart to the edits that Charlie is now integrating into the manuscript, so you've got the best of both worlds.

Good news. All the BRP players that I've ever played with (RQ III to be exact) believe that it is the realism of the hit location system (along with the strike rank procedure) that sets it apart - head and shoulders - from other games. I only hope that these key elements are not relegated to optional extras in future supplements. But looking at the contents table for BRP it looks like I shouldn't fear any such 'dumbing down'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit locations are entirely optional in "Call of Cthulhu" and one would have to hunt for it in a supplement to even see it. Combat in "Call of Cthulhu" is alot more freeform than RQ3, which IIRC RQ3 was criticized by some RQ2 players for making combat (and the system) a little more complicated than it needed to be. It was OOP by the time I came to the game, so I had no reference point.

I GM'ed RQ3 for several years and found the rules very playable and a huge leap over D&D, but I disliked the strike rank system and the sorcery section. The people who I played with were more passionate about the skill system and the magic system, plus the setting, and were unlikely to wax on about the elegance of strike ranks.

To me, strike ranks and hit locations are mechanics and don't stand out when there are so many other plusses to RQ3. Plus, in RL, people shoot or stab each other milliseconds apart, and double wounds/kills are more common than movies would have you believe. In my actual campaigns, the hit locations were used, but I preferred using one set and giving a plus or minus on the D20 to achieve a result that made more sense. I'd probably not use strike ranks and in the case of determining who hits first, use distance (missiles first), then skill level, then DEX to determine who gets to attack first. It gets the same thing done and I find it forces the player to think about the situation more tactically than relying on a static number generated weeks and months before based on numerous tables that produce similar results without any awareness of why they attack on Strike Rank 4.

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the new BRP rules book have comprehensive hit locations like in the ElfQuest rpg? I was hoping that CoC had them, but it doesn't.

I'm looking for hit location rules that determines what percentage of hit points (out of the total hit points) it takes to cause a limb to be severed or to determine when enough damage has been done to a certain limb to cause serious blood loss to occur (bleeding out); or to render the limb immobile.

Does the new BRP rules book have comprehensive hit locations like in the ElfQuest rpg? I was hoping that CoC had them, but it doesn't.

I'm looking for hit location rules that determines what percentage of hit points (out of the total hit points) it takes to cause a limb to be severed or to determine when enough damage has been done to a certain limb to cause serious blood loss to occur (bleeding out); or to render the limb immobile.

Yes, largely based on those from RQIII if memory serves.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Yes, largely based on those from RQIII if memory serves.

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

So RQIII and ElfQuest shared the same type of hit location styles? I remember ElfQuest gave a percentage of hit point per body part out of the total hit points. Each hit location had a different percentage.

There's a Major Wound table that provides a number of grievous wound effects, and is consulted when a character takes more than half his/her normal HP in one injury. It's the default system.

The optional Hit Location system covers what happens to each location (head, chest, abdomen, limbs), when damage meets the HP per location, exceeds it, and when it's at a negative value equal to the normal HP/location.

The optional Hit Location system covers what happens to each location (head, chest, abdomen, limbs), when damage meets the HP per location, exceeds it, and when it's at a negative value equal to the normal HP/location.

Just like in ElfQuest?

For the sake of simplicity and speed, I'd recommend doing it a different way...

There's a Major Wound table that provides a number of grievous wound effects, and is consulted when a character takes more than half his/her normal HP in one injury. It's the default system.

Yes, pretty much like that! (Sounds pretty good to me, Mr D)

Because you only need to determine hit locations when a wound is significant, and keeping track of locational HPs before then is an unnecessary admin overhead - and a chore.

I haven't seen the Major Wounds table yet, but I'm hoping it's rather like a Hit Location table - with effects listed for each location if they are the one to take the hit. An expanded version, including lighter/heavier wounds, might be just what you need.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I haven't seen the Major Wounds table yet, but I'm hoping it's rather like a Hit Location table - with effects listed for each location if they are the one to take the hit. An expanded version, including lighter/heavier wounds, might be just what you need.

It's the system from Stormbringer.

If you take a single injury that's equal to or higher than your Major Wound threshold (1/2 of HP, rounded up), you roll d% on the chart.

Results range from horrific scars, nerve damage, concussions, loss of extremities, internal injuries, broken bones, to mutilations.

They're pretty nasty, actually.

It's the system from Stormbringer.

If you take a single injury that's equal to or higher than your Major Wound threshold (1/2 of HP, rounded up), you roll d% on the chart.

Results range from horrific scars, nerve damage, concussions, loss of extremities, internal injuries, broken bones, to mutilations.

They're pretty nasty, actually.

If I remember right, I didn't care too much for the Stormbringer damage rules. There's a lot of those kinds of tables out there, anyway. Check out Blood:

RPGNow.com - Postmortem Studios - Blood!

which is also a D100 role-playing game system.

And 10 Million Ways to Die: RPGNow.com - Iron Crown Enterprises - 10 Million Ways To Die

is nothing but those kinds of tables.

I also believe that the rules I'm looking for are also in Cthulhu Now and/or Delta Green. I'm sure it's Cthulhu Now.

What I'm specifically looking for is something that says:

Head=1/3 total hp

arm=1/4 total hp--if more than half hp is taken, then arm is disabled (much the same for the head).

There were more to the rules, of course, like characters bleeding to death from their wounds. Since I'm going to be running some survival horror games, I want to have the characters disassembled piece by piece--have them favor an appendage that's in the process of getting too mauled.

What I'm specifically looking for is something that says:

Head=1/3 total hp

arm=1/4 total hp--if more than half hp is taken, then arm is disabled (much the same for the head).

That's the hit location system.

It's been in RQ, Ringworld, and ElfQuest, but wasn't used in Stormbringer/Elric!, Call of Cthulhu, Nephilim, or Worlds of Wonder.

It's in BRP as an optional system.

There are also other games, older BRP games, offshoots and what they call 'fantasy heartbreakers' over at good ole rpg.net. Some you might want to look at, are Mongoose' RQ, Fifth Cycle, and The Legend of Yore. The last two are getting pretty rare, but both have very servicable wound systems of that type. Also Warhammer frpg, any edition, and RQ2 (of course).

There are also other games, older BRP games, offshoots and what they call 'fantasy heartbreakers' over at good ole rpg.net. Some you might want to look at, are Mongoose' RQ, Fifth Cycle, and The Legend of Yore. The last two are getting pretty rare, but both have very servicable wound systems of that type. Also Warhammer frpg, any edition, and RQ2 (of course).

Thank you. I'll check that out.

I was skimming through Blood! last night, and I'm not entirely sure how close it is. I think a conversion wouldn't be too difficult--not that you would have to, as everything you can do in this game you can probably do in BRP. I really only mentioned it because of the damage tables.

The system boils down to everything being a percentage, keeping it a very "human level" game. Both attributes and skills are percentages. Attributes don't come into play unless there isn't a skill to cover the thing your PC is doing--or an attribute is being directly acted upon (both like BRP). There are also derived attributes (Health, Sanity, etc.) from the main attributes. You also need the varied dice for Blood! that BRP also needs. But there isn't a resistance table. Mostly, Blood! is about setting (or is it theme?)--mainly 80's style gory, slasher horror whether you want supernatural elements or not. But I really like the write ups of the monsters--really horrific stuff. The author also took all the Ann Rice and WoD romanticized fluff out of vampires to make them into true horror creatures. Funnily enough, the company that makes Blood! also has a D20 rpg making fun of people who read Ann Rice books and Play WoD.

Oh yeah, I forgot, they have a RuneQuest conversion ebook. I think that pretty much answers everything.:party:

RPGNow.com - Postmortem Studios - BloodQuest