Anyone using Roll20?

Jae

I've been snooping around the Roll20 virtual tabletop and it looks like a great system for playing games remotely. Has anyone at BRP Central tried it or is interested in trying it for any of the BRP or d100 games?

https://app.roll20.net/home/

Although there is an entry in the drop down menu for Call of Cthulhu. No entry exists for any other BRP or d100 games. There is however a Runequest 6 character sheet which is a good sign.

https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/Runequest_6

I used to use Roll20 for a Legend campaign and it worked really well. I just used one square = 1 sq. metre and any weapons of L or VL reach could reach two squares instead of just an adjacent square. It worked well although I'd welcome someone else's input on it.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

I have used it for RQ and it sucked *badly*. We ditched it as soon as we solved the network issue we had. Its only strength is that it bypasses any network problems, but RPTools and Fantasy Grounds are far superior, and both come with pre-made rulesets for BRP and/or RuneQuest. Fully automated rulesets not character sheets.

Also, there is a new generation of MapTools called mote coming in a few weeks, so I guess this is the worst possible time to leave maptools for Roll20.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

• 4 weeks later...

I had used Roll20 a while ago for one of my games as wasn't too impressed with it after I finally got a chance to use it. On the surface, it does look pretty impressive, but I agree with Rosen about RPTools. I have glanced a little at Fantasy Grounds as well, but have looked more heavily into RPTools and personally like that one better!

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I'm in a couple of ongoing campaigns on Roll20 but neither are BRP related. One is Dungeon Crawl Classics (in Thundarr mode) and the other is D&D 5e.

Both groups have given up using audio over Roll20. One uses Skype and the other uses Google Hangouts. Roll20 is mostly where the game forum is hosted and where the maps and character sheets are displayed.

It's been OK... but IMO it's slow and a bit clunky/quirky.

Really, the best games I've had online have been using Google Hangouts and leaving the rest analog... roll actual dice, have an actual character sheet. It's easy for the GM to put up a static map/graphic if necessary... but otherwise it struck me as being awfully close to sitting around a table with folks.

I'm on Roll20, and I see a lot of potential for it to be a good tool for online play. For more tactical style play, there is a lot of setup and clunkiness... But on the whole I firmly believe that the more one uses it, the better it gets... It's just the initial steps that are annoying.

Of the communication options for it, I've used the integrated audio and video chat. The audio worked pretty good. The video was touch and go, but that may have had more to do with the various users' bandwidth than how well it is programmed.

• 3 weeks later...

You are probably going to find that hard. Everyone clamours to have their own special snowflake game added. You'd have better luck trying to get BRP added as a published game system rather than something generic.  The issue seems to be that you need a certain volume of games being played before they'll consider a separate entry and getting games in play without a category is hard.

Nigel

I'm using Roll20 for a D&D game. I think it works fine. And it's free.

I only use it rarely, but for the basics I have no complaints. A/V working, die-rolling, all my docs up. Someone even made a charsheet that I'm trying. Managed to get all free tokens and maps. Really it's just a vtt, and does all I need.