is Rurik stupid? (talking about INT)

Whisker89

Regardless of the INT, he did ignore the trollkin and got killed - pretty stupid if you ask me.

poor Rurik :lol: Greg Stafford himself tells he (=Steve Perrin, who was Rurik's player) was really unlucky because he got two consecutive critical hits by the infamous trollkin, both avoided by divine intervention... but the divine intervention brought Rurik's POW down to 0 so he died

poor Rurik :lol: Greg Stafford himself tells he (=Steve Perrin, who was Rurik's player) was really unlucky because he got two consecutive critical hits by the infamous trollkin, both avoided by divine intervention... but the divine intervention brought Rurik's POW down to 0 so he died

Divine intervention killed him?  With friends like that ....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the answers guys :) This is something that had always left me puzzled, maybe because I've got a D&D background.
Nonetheless, I'm considering switching to 5D3+3 for INT and SIZ (min 8 / average 10,5 / max 18) to have a "flatter" set of characteristics.

Ehm...  As you can see on anydice (http://anydice.com/program/6d9b), the average of 5d3+3 is 13, the same as 2d6+6, not 10.5.  Also, 5d3+3 is more likely to produce closer-to-average results (because you're rolling more dice), so I wouldn't really consider it "flatter".

More generally, for any symmetric distribution, the average result will be equal to the average of the minimum and maximum values.  To get a range from 8-18 with 10.5 average, you'd need to do something like roll d6s and read 1-3 as 1, 4-5 as 2, and 6 as 3 or something like that in order to make the results asymmetric.

• Like 1

Yes in a low Average Int sort of way :)

Questbird hits the nail on the head for my reasoning why Rurik is so Averagely blah in the INT department.

If you go read the character generation example in OpenQuest, of which he's the star of , he starts with 8 in INT and his player adds 2 points out of a pool of 30* at his disposal

"to make sure Rurik is average for Intelligence".

* much of which has already been spent on STR, CON, DEX and SIZ because Rurik's player wants him to be a Warrior.

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain