Just ordered a copy of Worlds Beyond anyone have experience with it?

rsanford

Hi all,

I just oust ordered a well used copy of Worlds Beyond. Took months for a copy to become available. Has anyone here played it?

Ronnie

Edited by rsanford
added "of" to the title...

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

10 hours ago, rsanford said:

Hi all,

I just oust ordered a well used copy of Worlds Beyond. Took months for a copy to become available. Has anyone here played it?

Ronnie

no - I have a copy, picked up a few years back when I first became aware it existed and was BRP related (from a thread at RPGNet IIRC) and I DID read it at them time, but I've never had a chance to use it in anger.

cheers,

Nick

Same as Nick - I have it and read it at some point, but it has not seen much use since then. But if I remember correctly it's a decent source of scifi rules and material for BRP. But the starship system was one of the things that drove me to develop BRP Starships/BRP Space in the first place...

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

7 hours ago, clarence said:

Same as Nick - I have it and read it at some point, but it has not seen much use since then. But if I remember correctly it's a decent source of scifi rules and material for BRP. But the starship system was one of the things that drove me to develop BRP Starships/BRP Space in the first place...

Clarence I will check BRP Space out! Also I saw that it is nearing production. Congratulations!

Did you think Worlds Beyond did the starship system badly?

Thanks,

Ronnie

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Not badly, but quite far from how I wanted it. I think it's user unfriendly to ask "What hull size do you want?" as the first question in a design process. Or "How big do you want the power plant to be?". Very Traveller-esque and very unintuitive. It's more logical, from a gaming perspective, to just add all the functions you need, and see what size you end up with. Less engineering-like and more of a sketching process. 

I hope you enjoy BRP Starships! The new version (BRP Space) has taken much, much longer than I expected because of all the changes at Chaosium. Licensing and BRP Essentials are the two issues I need more information about from Chaosium before the release. I was aiming for a release before christmas, but the chances for that are pretty slim now. 

The good thing is that I've had time to improve on it even more. World generation and alien creation have seen a well-needed overhaul, and some sample ships is in the making. 

And a setting book I'm very happy with is on its way too : ) I hope to have something to show soon. 

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2015, 4:43:56, rsanford said:

Hi all,

Ronnie

Just ran a game of Future World from November of last year to November of this year. I liked the rules primarily because it allowed the Gamemaster (Me) a lot of latitude on what I wanted to bring into the game as well as a faster combat system. As it was fairly basic, I was able to bring in anything from other BRP related material and just plop it into a scenario or situation and keep the pace fairly fast and active. But by the same token there was very little variety in the rules and several of the players lost interest. I started out with 7 players and basically had two steady players with two who maintained interest but work limited participation at the end of the game. Was basically 52 weeks, every other week for 23 sessions. Recommendation: If you run a game, keep it short (campaign wise). Use it as a trial run for one of the other more detailed games. Combat in Sci-Fi games is more permanent and resurrection near impossible. Keep starting characters low in % skills, then you won't have to come up with a lot of higher NPC's to keep it challenging. Have each player run more than one character. (I ended up having each player run 3 each due to attrition) My players that left the game started to lose interest after 3 months or 6 sessions. Most of them were only interested in fantasy. These are things that I didn't do and I feel were pertinent to keeping players.

Daniel