Rokary and Alchemy

Godlearner

The description of Leplain is indeed worth reading.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a great deal of mistrust on Theoblanc's part. The Rokari Watcher in chief is quite suspicious of Schools that aren't Rokari in their very roots. And the Ezokites aren't - in fact, they already existed at Dawn.

in fact, it could very well be that all Ezokites in Seshnela are now obligated to live in Leplain, and never pass its walls. Too useful to be declared heretics, too dubiously to be left wandering around, as is their whim...

Now, how do the city guards know not to let them out, amidst the crowd at the gates? Well, they have an unmistakenably recognizable tattoo on the forefront...

YGWV.

Edited by Patrick

Ok, I am going to assume that there is something to this ... because I think it would be cool.  

In 1317 Pope John XXII issued a decree against the alchemists De Crimine Falsi Titulus VI. I Joannis XXII. [circa annum 1317 Avenioni]:

"Alchemies are here prohibited and those who practise them or procure their being done are punished. They must forfeit to the public treasury for the benefit of the poor as much genuine gold and silver as they have manufactured of the false or adulterate metal. If they have not sufficient means for this, the penalty may be changed to another at the discretion of the judge, and they shall be considered criminals. If they are clerics, they shall be deprived of any benefices that they hold and be declared incapable of holding others."

It seems the Church's basic issue was on of counterfeiting and general fleecing of the uninformed. With Rokari the issue may be one of attempts to reach beyond their caste for alchemist, who would technically be craftmen, practice magic as though of the Wizard cast. 

• Like 1

Given that the Ezokite School is described as a Zzaburi school at the Dawn, it seems a bit of a reach to me that the Rokari would find it suspicious considering they are described as seeking a return to a pre-Hrestoli religion.  Likewise the description of Leplain refers to all schools being under the watchful eye of the Watcher Supreme with no statement made as to his suspicion of them for being pre-Rokari.

I think the chief concern of the Watcher Supreme regarding various wizard schools would be:

1) prevention of any study of the forbidden verses of the Abiding Book (ie the ones condemned as heretical by Rokar)

2) maintenance of caste boundaries and a condemnation of Hrestoli practices.

There is always the possibility of Arkatism but most wizards would consider it beneath themselves to consider debasing their intellect.

• Like 1

I'm with Peter on this one. There might be good reason for Theoblanc to have issues with particular alchemists or particular alchemical practices (undoubtedly lots of different ideas have crept in from non-Malkioni sources), but alchemy itself is ancient, the Ezokite school dates from the dawn and was part of the Zzaburi era magic that the Rokari want to emulate, and IMO serves an absolutely vital part in magic theory. Theoblanc may keep a close eye on it, but of course it will be supported. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

And will be even more supportive assuming the alchemists provide him the tools he needs to wage war against the heretics of Nolos, and the evil Arkati of Ralios.

As Godlearner says, with Rokari the issue may be one of proscribing those who are not of the right caste or under appropriate authority practising alchemy, rather than banning alchemy outright. 

Theoblanc's decree might be something like, 

"Unauthorised Alchemies are here prohibited and those who practise them or procure their being done are punished. They must forfeit to the public treasury for the benefit of the poor as much genuine gold and silver as they have manufactured of the false or adulterate metal. If they have not sufficient means for this, the penalty may be changed to another at the discretion of the judge, and they shall be considered criminals."

• Like 3