Can the new rules be too big ??

Fantastic my new BRP turned up today and looks great, but what a whopper ! This is one fat boy and somewhat unwieldy, am I alone in thing that it would have been more manageable split into 3 or 4 sections ?:cool:

(ok, I'm being picky)

what do you guys think ??

so this is it, we're going to die...

I very much prefer to have all the material in one book, because this makes

it somewhat easier for me to transport it or to search for something in it.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I love :thumb: that it's all in one massive tome! It *might* be a bit overwhelming and unwieldy at first considering what we might be used to, but I feel I'm (finally) getting just the right bang for my buck. Realistically, it won't be long before it will be so marked up, post-it noted and digested by my players, who have purchased scrolls of their own, that it'll sit on the game table more as a reference than a guide :happy: .

I can imagine peeps having mixed reactions concerning its size. On one hand, it's a lot to assimilate, but on the other, it's all there...albeit happily with room for extrapolation and addition. Some might miss the Player Guide, GM Guide, Monster Guide paradigm, but I personally always had the sneaking suspicion, particularly in the case of TSR (once upon a time and a long, long time ago :o ), that I was simply being farmed for more cash. Did there really have to be so many separate guides?

That feeling has remained with me to this day and, no offence to anyone here, was reinforced after receiving the first MRQ book and comparing it to the "Companion" my brother bought; they really should have been combined. That BTW, more than anything else sealed MRQ's fate...in my bank book at least. Again...just MHO.

That being said, I am glad I went ahead and bought the BRP .pdf version. With its copy/paste capability, I can pick, choose and print if I need something smaller…say a “magician’s handbook” for example. I truly value and appreciate that freedom and flexibility. Thank you Chaosium! But, mighty tome or .pdf, I'd rather have all the info and the ability to streamline it any day over not having enough info and waiting for the next book to glean my wallet ;).

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

I've suggested to Chaosium that they take Chapters 1-4 and 8 to make a smaller Player's Guide, but it's a lower-priority task than the other stuff on their plate right now.

Actually, I'd like a BRP Lite, much like the COC Quickstart, that I can pass out to players who are wholly unfamiliar with the system. Then again, I'm planning to run an (initially) minimalist Fantasy game, so perhaps my idea of a quickstart is someone else's idea of useless.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

That feeling has remained with me to this day and, no offence to anyone here, was reinforced after receiving the first MRQ book and comparing it to the "Companion" my brother bought; they really should have been combined. That BTW, more than anything else sealed MRQ's fate...in my bank book at least. Again...just MHO.

I agree totally. I could live with the MRQ rules, and what they done to Glorantha (I was never really that much of a fan, anyway), but it felt somehow cheap and that they were milking their customers for money (this is my opion not facts :ohwell: ).

I agree totally. I could live with the MRQ rules, and what they done to Glorantha (I was never really that much of a fan, anyway), but it felt somehow cheap and that they were milking their customers for money (this is my opion not facts :ohwell: ).

Are you sure it's just your opinion? I thought it was pretty much empirical fact...;)

The sheer size is not a bad thing for me.

Gives an impression of value (as opposed to my views on another similar product)

If I were to grumble it would be that:

the layout hasn't reached the dizzy heights of RQIII/Ringworld/Elric. Repeating that level would have cut page count without losing content. (incidently pushing up Chaosium's profit margin I would have thought).

I've noticed a couple of rules which have become less clear and more ambigious as they've migrated from playtest to print

But still for me at least niggles are outweighed by happy thoughts

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

I believe Jason's just sent the manuscript for the BRP Quick start to Chaosium...

:D

Cheers,

Nick

Someone's been reading between the lines on my blog... [edit] oh, I actually realize I mentioned it outright.

Bet you can't guess what the other thing I've cryptically mentioned was.

the layout hasn't reached the dizzy heights of RQIII/Ringworld/Elric. Repeating that level would have cut page count without losing content. (incidently pushing up Chaosium's profit margin I would have thought).

Yeah... I'll admit my preference is for a more compact, tighter layout with smaller text than the book as it stands (for example, Elric! vs. Stormbringer 5th edition), but that's a minor quibble.

What you and Chaosium have done is remarkable--it captures the evolution of BRP and reintroduces it to a gaming public without coming across as a radical departure and alienating the graying, but still committed fan base, and giving them a chance to review and take a stake in a Zero Edition, leveraging their input online.

There will be time enough for a 1.5 or various other editions, but I think as "Starts" go, this was a very good one. Thank you Jason!

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Yeah... I'll admit my preference is for a more compact, tighter layout with smaller text than the book as it stands (for example, Elric! vs. Stormbringer 5th edition), but that's a minor quibble.

Truth.

I expect to receive my copy today - but if it's anything like the zero edition then yes, it's a hefty brick of a book, and that has some drawbacks. Me, I probably wouldn't bother with it if I wasn't a BRP whore already. It's certainly not a good thing to attract new gamers to the hobby.

But then, that wasn't the point. The purpose of the book is to bring all the material from previous rule sets into one volume, so it HAD to be big, no way around it. And in this particular case, I wouldn't want it any other way.

A Quickstart booklet is exactly what we need. In fact, we need several, one for each game genre (sword&sorcery, western, spies, cloak†, horror... wait, we have that already! :o)

BRP Zero Ed #136/420

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."

- The Fellowship of the Ring