Movie Talk (was Questions for Jason)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions for Jason: are you running any campaigns currently in BRP and what would you recommend as a first genre for BRP newbies to get a feel for the system?

Currently, I'm not running any long-term campaigns with my group, as we're all to unreliable to depend on a regular campaign. For the past four sessions (spread out over around two months), I've been running Savage World of Solomon Kane for fun, as we're all REH fans and I'm using the canned scenarios.

As more than half of us are also in the game industry, we're always interested in trying new systems, so there's a lot of mini-campaigns with new game systems.

Now that copies of BRP are actually available, once we settle down and get more reliable with meeting, the GM duties will either switch to someone else, or I'll run BRP. One of the players has mentioned using it for a supernatural horror WW2 campaign, with him GMing.

When it comes to a "first genre" to get familiar with the system, I'm of the "start small/shallow/simple, then get bigger/deeper/complicated" as required sort of mindset.

I'd pick a genre that doesn't necessarily use powers, or ask that starting characters don't utilize them. I'd keep optional rules to a minimum.

If the group likes fantasy, then go for a setting where they're mostly human mercenaries or non-spellcasters.

If they're into historical settings, emphasize how it can be used for anything from prehistoric cavemen survival scenarios to modern tactical military games.

A good old-fashioned Western might be a neat intro to the setting, as well.

Thanks Jason. I never even heard of TSWoSK!

It's a lot of fun.

If I had more free time, I'd be running it using BRP, but the combination of work, a toddler, freelance, and family stuff has kept me from being able to devote much more than an hour of prep time to games... and I regard researching other systems as an essential part of the work of a game designer.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what Chaosium does with their Robert E. Howard horror license, as well.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what Chaosium does with their Robert E. Howard horror license, as well.

I hadn't heard of that either - sounds interesting. What sort of Howard stuff does it cover? Pretty much all the Howard I've read has been sword & sorcery or historical. I guess it wouldn't cover stuff like Almuric?

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Could we have more info. about that? Is this actual role playing material?

As far as I have heard, part of the arrangement between Chaosium and Mongoose with the transfer/sale of the Michael Moorcock Eternal Champion license involved Chaosium getting the rights to do a game titled Robert E. Howard’s World of Horror.

I really don't know much about it, other than that.

Does Solomon Kane require the Savage World Rulebook or is it a stand alone game?

It does not require the core book to play - it's standalone.

I hadn't heard of that either - sounds interesting. What sort of Howard stuff does it cover? Pretty much all the Howard I've read has been sword & sorcery or historical. I guess it wouldn't cover stuff like Almuric?

Here's a pretty long list of REH horror stories.

I'll wager that Almuric will not be a part of that, but if it's any consolation, Almuric is a primary source for Interplanetary.

I'll wager that Almuric will not be a part of that, but if it's any consolation, Almuric is a primary source for Interplanetary.

Consider me consoled!

Looking forward more and more to your non-core-book for BRP, Jason.

As for the Savage Worlds of Solomon Kane - it's a tremendously pretty book. And the background is quite . . . evocative. Very good book, if you can find it.

-pax-

Emerging from my Dark Age...

It makes sense to do a REH supplement. Especially now with the video game being a big hit and a new series of Conan films in the works. However, after seeing Hellboy 2, it's only a mattter of time before an Elric film is announced.

However, after seeing Hellboy 2, it's only a mattter of time before an Elric film is announced.

An Elric film (or rather, the first in a trilogy) was announced around four years ago, to be directed by the Weitz brothers (Chris and Paul). They've since done The Golden Compass.

Michael Moorcock said a while back that an initial draft of the screenplay was complete and was acceptable to him. A year ago yesterday Moorcock posted that Universal had paid for another 18 months of rights to make the film.

I'm skeptical anything will happen, mainly because of the lukewarm performance to The Golden Compass. If it had been a huge hit, the Weitzs would be stuck making the second and third film in that trilogy. If Compass bombed, there'd be little chance anyone would put them at the helm of yet another big-budget fantasy trilogy. Instead, it performed in that grey area that can alternately be called a disappointment or a moderate success.

There isn't much other news floating around, though the fans haven't let that stop any speculation.

It makes sense to do a REH supplement. Especially now with the video game being a big hit and a new series of Conan films in the works. However, after seeing Hellboy 2, it's only a mattter of time before an Elric film is announced.

Dude! My lovely wife and I got to see this film last weekend, and I kept thinking, "Where's Moonglum?"

Plus, he made the spear an elegant weapon again. Beautiful martial arts choreography!

Hellboy game?

Emerging from my Dark Age...

Hellboy game?

There's a new Hellboy computer game that looks pretty cool, and there's the old Hellboy Roleplaying Game and Sourcebook using GURPS Lite.

I ran a BRP/BPRD game a couple of years ago that was a lot fun. Maybe I should post those character sheets as well.

A shame about "The Golden Compass." I caught it as a rental and rather liked it, but thought the ending was a bit abrupt. I also saw and enjoin everyone here to catch "Hellboy 2" for the visuals.

Yes, Jason, if you could post the BPRD stats that would be great. Howabout a "BRP for BPRD" section? ;-)

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Very cool indeed! :cool:

I'm dusting off my full Almuric battle dress as we speak (basically studded tiara, awesome bracers, radium gun holster and little else. I'll probably add the chainmail bikini for modesty's sake - damn, don't those girls ever get COLD? :lol: :eek:).

Seriously, that sounds great. I'm really looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

I'm dusting off my full Almuric battle dress as we speak (basically studded tiara, awesome bracers, radium gun holster and little else. I'll probably add the chainmail bikini for modesty's sake - damn, don't those girls ever get COLD? :lol: :eek:).

I figure the distraction alone is worth some kind of defensive bonus to offset the lack of (cough) "coverage."

I figure the distraction alone is worth some kind of defensive bonus to offset the lack of (cough) "coverage."

*Splutter* Lovely subtle erm... "pneumatic"... artwork, too... Makes Boris Vallejo look like a nun. :lol: Don't these planets have gravity?

Defensive bonus - check. I reckon also a "multiple target penalty" to any attacks due to hordes of swaddled grannies emerging from the undergrowth clutching blankets and shouting "you'll catch your death of cold.... in my day it was full plate armor or you couldn't even hold hands on a first date... that's not fighting it's just jumping up and down...", etc, etc.

Ahem. Sorry bout that everyone. :focus:

Sarah :D

I can think of absolutely nothing appropriate to post in reply to this comment.

The Golden Compass is one thing, but Elric is a whole different matter. Now that HB 2 was no# 1 at the Box office and proves there's an interest in Adult-style Action/Fantasy in the film studios eyes, there's a chances Universal might be interested in the Elric books once again. I know Guillermo Del Toro has a multiple deal with Universal and is a huge fan of the series and even toyed with the idea of making an Elric film long ago.. Chances are, even if he wanted to direct them he couldn't with his commitment to doing The Hobbit, but I could easly see him maybe being an executive producer if he has the time. As for the Weitz Brothers, I doubt they would be invovled and probably the studio would hire another director instead. If it ever happens, I can only hope they can get someone like David Fincher or Christopher Nolan to come on board as director. Now or in the future, I'm sure it will happen one day that will see an Elric film. Afterall, Warner Brothers just bought the rights to Elf Quest. :rolleyes:

An Elric film (or rather, the first in a trilogy) was announced around four years ago, to be directed by the Weitz brothers (Chris and Paul). They've since done The Golden Compass.

Michael Moorcock said a while back that an initial draft of the screenplay was complete and was acceptable to him. A year ago yesterday Moorcock posted that Universal had paid for another 18 months of rights to make the film.

I'm skeptical anything will happen, mainly because of the lukewarm performance to The Golden Compass. If it had been a huge hit, the Weitzs would be stuck making the second and third film in that trilogy. If Compass bombed, there'd be little chance anyone would put them at the helm of yet another big-budget fantasy trilogy. Instead, it performed in that grey area that can alternately be called a disappointment or a moderate success.

There isn't much other news floating around, though the fans haven't let that stop any speculation.

Edited by mrk

It's going to be hard prying directors away from comic book films now. Alot of the ones with promising credentials are already tied to film adaptations of superhero films and their sequels. LOTR didn not spawn the fantasy renaissance some were hoping for. JK Rowlings gets credit for spawning the young adult fantasy films, but as far as sword and sorcery goes, Conan never got revived, and Elric is looking more distant. Though I'd be happy to be wrong. (I still can't get the foul taste of "The Scorpion King" out of my mouth.)

I'm still hoping for the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser movie that was in the Dark Horse rumour mill a few years back...

We're wandering all over the original topic, with talk of movies, REH horror, Hellboy, Elric, comely authors in Almurician battle-dress*, and whatnot, but I should mention the absolutely fantastic Michael Chabon novel Gentlemen of the Road, which is as close to a Fritz Leiber F&GM pastiche as is legally possible.

* No offense intended, Shaira - I've no idea if you are in fact comely or would resent such categorization, but it's genre-appropriate.

I should mention the absolutely fantastic Michael Chabon novel Gentlemen of the Road, which is as close to a Fritz Leiber F&GM pastiche as is legally possible.

I strongly second that recommendation. It doesn't have any of the weird magic or sexy stuff Leiber liked to write about, but that doesn't detract from the book in the least. Fantastic stuff.