Character Generator

Pansophy (spic?) created a program a while back to generate Magic World characters that was great. If you play Magic World you might want to reach out to him!

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

19 hours ago, clarence said:

Good to hear you're still working on it!

Progress has been very slow but it is happening, I didn't really want to post about it until we have something concrete to show, but the name of the thread was too tempting. I'll post more here as it develops. Pansophy's generator is mentioned in 

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/62-brp-computer-tools-multi-platform-for-preference/?do=findComment&comment=60165

I have commented on that thread too but I can't remember getting it to work on my Linux box (not to say it didn't, just commenting on my memory).

I suspect a web-based solution is the best for this sort of thing; solves the cross-platform issues anyway.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1

Ah, back to the Computer Tools we are? ;) Yes, I did two tools, below are the threads:

The thing is, the first one is no longer available on my Cloud Server. I have it somewhere and will have to make it available again. I think my Dropbox account still works, so I'll dump the most recent version there. That way the chroniclers of the Interwebs can store it .... ;)

It is based on the BGB, not Magic World. You might be able to use it for that, though.

Is anybody still using it? As I said, if Chaosium brings out a new BGB version (or a substantial BRP Essentials), I'll edit the tool to get it running again.

For all the tinkerers: it is written in Python and can easily adjusted to your needs (well, you need to know Pythen, though).

Edited by pansophy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, pansophy said:

well, you need to know Pythen, though).

... or several other languages.

I've noted that programmers who have several disparate languages under their belt can usually tweak/debug relatively simple programs even if the language is nominally "new" to them.  Computer logic is computer logic...   :D

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/22/2017 at 11:08 AM, pansophy said:

Ah, back to the Computer Tools we are? ;) Yes, I did two tools, below are the threads:

The thing is, the first one is no longer available on my Cloud Server. I have it somewhere and will have to make it available again. I think my Dropbox account still works, so I'll dump the most recent version there. That way the chroniclers of the Interwebs can store it .... ;)

It is based on the BGB, not Magic World. You might be able to use it for that, though.

Is anybody still using it? As I said, if Chaosium brings out a new BGB version (or a substantial BRP Essentials), I'll edit the tool to get it running again.

For all the tinkerers: it is written in Python and can easily adjusted to your needs (well, you need to know Pythen, though).

Nice. Ours is also in Python, and so was Hkokko's encounter generator (he helped me out with the fuzzy Mythras Imperative damage bonus system).

• 1 year later...

OK I haven't done any work on this for a while now and must admit that it's a dead (or at least not alive) project. There are a few other things around for RQ. I think Hkokko has an encounter generator. I was getting close to a 'generic' character generator which could account for the differences between Magic World, BRP, Mythras etc which are small but slightly annoying. I still think an online thing would be more useful than a run-on-<fill in your OS platform here> application. And Python seems to be the language of choice for many BRPers.