Jareena?

Martin

• Martin changed the title to Jareena?

A possible theory.

The Lost Chapter in 2nd Edition King of Sartar mentions Vingkot fighting against a Brown Sanak Gorolfsson p137, who is a Son of Summer and the ancestor of the Tarshites who rescued them from the Rebel Gods.

Now this is undoubtedly the Son of Gorolf the Brown (or Goralf Brown) who is identified in the Book of Heortling Mythology as husband of Vestene and founder of the Vestantes of south Aggar.  So Vingkot is supposedly fighting against his own grandson who has married his grandmother and Vingkot's wife?  

A better explanation might be lie in Brown Sanak's title as the Sun of Summer.  What if he was the leader of the Summer Tribes who were opposed to the Winter Tribes led by Vingkot (forget the standard interpretation of the ten tribes of the Vingkotlings for the moment)?  

Now the On Jorri are said to be to be by people not born from Storm Tribe kinship (Book of Heortling Mythology p75).  If the Summer Tribes are originally unrelated opponents of the Storm Tribe then could they then be the On Jorri? In which case Janerra Alone's story would mark their acceptance of the ways of the Storm Tribe.

So to return to your question, where does Janerra come from?  The Summer Tribes are said to be the Kodigvari, the Vestantes, the Koroltes and the Orgovaltes.  I'm tempted to associate her with the city of Alone (in Orgovaltes territory) as they would have problems with the darkmen (which was Janerra's motivation for seeking help from Orlanth).

• Like 2

I don't think there are any indications of forts among the On Jorri.  They are noted as being in northern Orlanthland, and under attack by darkmen and ice.  Janerra had to climb the peaks to meet Orlanth, suggesting a lowland folk.  There's also a reference to Desderina and the Plateman moving to an old sandbar in On Jorri suggesting somewhere near the edge of the Osliran sea.  But don't think there are any forts noted or associated with these folk.

5 minutes ago, metcalph said:

If the Summer Tribes are originally unrelated opponents of the Storm Tribe then could they then be the On Jorri? In which case Janerra Alone's story would mark their acceptance of the ways of the Storm Tribe.

Interesting thought.  Of course, the Kodigvari, who are of the Summer Tribes, are the ones who supposedly inherit Vingkot's blood/lineage, so I'm not sure I'd place Vingkot among the Winter Tribes.  But this could well describe how Vingkot united the Summer Tribes: fought and best the Vestantes and the Son of Summer; allied the On Jorri/Orgovaltes; etc.  And would explain why those other tribes can't claim Vingkot's divine blood.

17 minutes ago, metcalph said:

I'm tempted to associate her with the city of Alone (in Orgovaltes territory) as they would have problems with the darkmen (which was Janerra's motivation for seeking help from Orlanth).

Certainly the name association is appealing.

Another site that might work is Orin Jistil (GtG p715 & KoS p157).  It's more borderline between Orgorvaltes and Stravuli land, but the Stravuli are a later Star Tribe, so could well fall within the former territory in the Storm Age.  (Although the text in KoS suggests it's more at the junction of Creek and River - which would be under the Upland Marsh.)

The location where Orin Jistil appears on the GtG map seems more likely the location of either the Skull Ruins or Herongreen (set beside the pinnacle Enduring and noted to have had a Vingkotling fort).  Those might be other options following the line of speculation above.

Janeera Vingkotsmother should be pre-Flood Age, if we have only one birth of Vingkot. Peter's theory requires a second birth of Vingkot - a typical way for a deity to establish a second (or later) presence.

I think that the On Jorri were a Pelorian group of pastoralists and/or agriculturalists who had descended from the Spike, much like other groups in the region.

While we are making name guessing games, the Loskalm province of Jorri - bordering on Oranor - is well known for its bulls. This may be an Enjoralini hold-over. It still could be a common ancestry for a Pelorian group, too - there were other bull groups claiming Tavar/Tawar as ancestor elsewhere in Peloria.

The recently founded city of Alone might be named after Janeera, not for the birthplace, but for the adoption into the Sartar kingdom.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I've an 2008 version of the book of Heortling Deities by GS... In it there is a section that I can't find anywhere published, but could be wrong. It starts:

The On Jorri War

On Jorri, where Jareena Alone came from, was a pleasant land with fertile plains and rich herds of horses.

It then goes on to 

The Onjorriad

The epic war between King Vingkot and Emperor Old is well known, and the collected tales make up the fourteen day epic called The Onjoriiad

Is her Alone last name out in print?

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

14 hours ago, David Scott said:

The Onjorriad

The epic war between King Vingkot and Emperor Old is well known, and the collected tales make up the fourteen day epic called The Onjoriiad

I've not seen this before, but it does suggest there's a lot more detail about the Vingkotling period that we don't know.

The Onjorriad

11 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I've not seen this before, but it does suggest there's a lot more detail about the Vingkotling period that we don't know.

I fear this is just dropping the title and a very short abstract of a saga cycle, without much substance behind it (yet). "The Sad Lady" is another such case where we get title and abstract but little meat of the story.

But then this means that I got to write up some of it to fit my own purposes, so why complain.

It would help to get a better consensus on the nature of the On Jorri. Personally, I put some faith in their being placed basically just south of drowned Henjarl in the Flood Maps of Heortling Mythology. This might corroborate a rivalry with the Syliling bear worshippers, and Vingkot's enthronement challengy by the Grizzly whose slain body became the basis of Vingkot's royal seat.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis