Spirits and Possession

Jon Hunter

13 minutes ago, Jon Hunter said:

are spirits ever able to possesses more than one individual at a time?

Perhaps some chaos spirits, but otherwise I'd say no.

14 minutes ago, Jon Hunter said:

Can passion spirits birth other passion spirits?

This would assume that a spirit could somehow divide or replicate itself.  There might be a case for this.  Sounds like something for intense debate among the rival LM temples or sorcerous schools.

9 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

According to Arcane Lore, entities of a certain power level can achieve bilocality or more. In that case, those several localities might be different bodies on the material plane.

9 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

What exactly are passion spirits in a non-rules, world sense?

And do you mean passion spirits possessing a corporeal host, or passion spirits in the spirit plane?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

18 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

Generally, I would say No, as a Spirit can only be in one place at once, so can only possess one person.

However, there are examples where a Spirit can do exactly that, usually when worshipped as an ancestor and called in bny a cult to possess a worshipper. I think Firshala and Mistress Sazdorf could do this. If two worshippers called on the same ancestor/Founder at the same time, then they could both be possessed. If this absolutely does not work, then one worshipper could block another's attempt by pre-incarnating the ancestor.

I don't see why not. 

Disease Spirits certainly spawn other disease spirits when they kill their host.

If a Passion (Greed) Spirit possesses someone then leaves, the Greed Spirit could well leave a Greed Spirit behind.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

I think Firshala and Mistress Sazdorf could do this.

I think for this to occur, the spirit likely will have established some position in the Gods World.  Certainly Orlanthi invoke Orlanth and are filled by his presence.  But Orlanth cannot cross that threshold to possess his followers.  In the case of Firshala or Mistress Sazdorf, it may not be their spirit possessing the follower, but an aspect like a dream that they project.

41 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I think for this to occur, the spirit likely will have established some position in the Gods World.  Certainly Orlanthi invoke Orlanth and are filled by his presence.  But Orlanth cannot cross that threshold to possess his followers.  In the case of Firshala or Mistress Sazdorf, it may not be their spirit possessing the follower, but an aspect like a dream that they project.

Is heroforming a form of possession?

A deity like Firshala might be able to be present as a possessing aspect in all of her rites on her holy days, but not on average days. An extreme example of this is the presence of Tolat in Trowjang during the night of marital bliss. Ancestors might be restricted to one place during normal days, but might have a limited pluripresence on Ancestor Day or similar occasions.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

I don't see why not. 

Disease Spirits certainly spawn other disease spirits when they kill their host.

If a Passion (Greed) Spirit possesses someone then leaves, the Greed Spirit could well leave a Greed Spirit behind.

Thats what i was after ... its going  to be a bit ick, but its a plot.

On 21/10/2017 at 11:16 PM, Jon Hunter said:

No, except where previously mentioned with chaos or when it's part of some cool plot hook involving gestalt / hive minds.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 21/10/2017 at 11:16 PM, Jon Hunter said:

I tried to find the definition of passion spirits in RQ and couldn't - I found there stats etc though. Anaxial's Roster says:

Passion spirits actually consist of several types of entities, including servitor spirits, ghosts, and “fragments” of larger entities. Because of this, passion spirits manifest in various forms, from insubstantial vapors to the appearance of long-dead humans, all depending on their origin. Some shamans claim that passion spirits are the collective emotional responses of many people, pooled into a spiritual mass that take their forms from the expectations of their worshippers.

From this I would say that they can splinter / making more but less powerful versions of themselves. This would be a mechanism for them dissipating.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Just now, David Scott said:

I tried to find the definition of passion spirits in RQ and couldn't - I found there stats etc though. Anaxial's Roster says:

From this I would say that they can splinter / making more but less powerful versions of themselves. This would be a mechanism for them dissipating.

cheers Dave plenty enough to suggest i havent deviated far from the norm.

1 hour ago, Psullie said:

powerful spirits could generate proto-spirts, rather than possess the host themselves they seed the host with a new spirit. this is how I imagine plague might spread...

This is the chaos exception I mentioned. A huge single spirit with tendrils infecting multiple victims. Once dead they reach out to another. Plague is fast and deadly.

-----