Miskatonic Repository - a new way for Call of Cthulhu creators to write and share

MOB

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to get page numbering to work in the Word template? None of the advice I have found online is helping.

I foolishly thought that I could insert my own cover page and page breaks without consequence, but I've managed to completely mess up how Word puts in page numbers. I obviously want the first page of my scenario text to be "1," with no numbering on the cover page, credits page, or table of contents. These are all labeled as "Section 1," but the document is inserting page numbers on these prior pages and doing weird things like: 1, 4, 2, 3, 2.

I understand that page breaks in word result in new "sections" for numbering. When I set it to "start numbering at," it never puts in the number that I type in the box.

Ironically, the most stressful part of attempting publishing a scenario for me right now is getting the page numbers to work.

Is there a way for me to just manually alter all the footers to do the page numbers individually?

Update: I've now fixed it so that my numbers are sequential, but no matter what I do the first page is labelled "2," not "1." If I tell it to start numbering at "0," it numbers it a zero. If I tell it to number it as 1, it numbers it 2. I literally can't get it to start with the number I want it to LOL. It is either 0 or 2. I tried making a "next page is odd" section break, but that numbered it a 3!

Edited by klecser

46 minutes ago, klecser said:

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to get page numbering to work in the Word template? None of the advice I have found online is helping.

I had this issue with a Jonstown Compendium supplement.

After a lot of stress, I found that creating a new document based on the original template, copying and pasting the cover page and then copying and pasting everything else seemed to work.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 3 months later...

Greetings all;

I realise this is an old thread however I am unsure where else to post this comment.

I am a long term 35+ years CoC keeper in Australia and gradually getting into writing scenarios and also some podcasting. But what I posting about here is an offer of assistance to CoC creatives.

Firstly, I am offering to undertake editing of your texts before publication. I have experience in academic writing and editing as well as in producing corporate and public sector publications and have a very through grasp of language. I am available to copy edit your materials at the very reasonable cost of $1 per page. All I ask is that you provide an Word document rather than a PDF.

Secondly, I run a number of play groups here in Western Australia (Where we can still play face to face). Among the groups I have a core of very experienced and skilled roleplayers. We would be delighted to play test any scenarios that you are working on.

To discuss any of these matters, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes to all your writing and publishing endeavours and I think it is wonderful how the MR concept has taken off.

Cedric B.

Edited by MOB
removed email address

• 1 month later...
ATTENTION CREATORS: for the time being, only English language titles will be eligible for Print-On-Demand in the Miskatonic Repository community content program*. This restriction has been put in place for business and licensing reasons, and to help manage capacity for OBS/DriveThruRPG.

Please remember the Miskatonic Repository is fortunate that POD is still an option at all; OBS/DriveThruRPG stopped POD altogether for some similar community content programs.

*The title still must meet the Electrum sales status (250+ copies in PDF) first in order to qualify.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Miskatonic Repository creators – the May 1st submissions deadline for the 2021 ENnies Awards is fast approaching! Did you know there is a dedicated ENnie award for community content? Somewhat confusingly this category is called 'Best Organised Play':

BEST ORGANISED PLAY—These are adventures created for an Organized Play (OP) program, either by the company owning the Intellectual Property (IP) or those given open permission to do so by said company or by a third party commissioned to do so.

If you'd like to enter your creations into the ENnies, all the details are at the link: https://ennie-awards.com/entry-form

Note: although the judges decide which categories an entry will be considered for, I suggest you note in the Product Description section that your work is an "Organised Play" release for the Miskatonic Repository on DriveThruRPG.

Good luck to everyone who enters! If your work is fortunate enough to be shortlisted by the judges we'll certainly promote it when the public vote opens!

PS One other bit of advice. On the form, put 'Call of Cthulhu' at the start of the title of your work, e.g. 'Call of Cthulhu - Beyond the Mansions of Madness'. That way, if your title does get nominated, the voters will clearly see yours is a Call of Cthulhu release when looking at all the choices. And we'll be sure to be getting as many Call of Cthulhu fans voting as we can.
  • Like 2