Some observations and theories on Zolan Zubar

jeffjerwin

28 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Could Zolan Zubar still exist as a minor worshiped god (apart from his role in the Kolat tradition), perhaps especially outside of more pure troll areas where Zorak Zoran has taken over? For something as big a deal in the Dawn Age, it seems sad to see him go completely.

Well, he isn't completely gone. As mentioned above at multiple points, Zolan Zubar survives as one of Kolat's Seven Winds (specifically "Below Me"), the core spirit society of the Kolating tradition, and thus is a being pretty much any Kolating spirit-talker is at least passingly familiar with.

There is also "Hell Roar", the child of the seduction of Deloradella (Kyger Litor) in the prequel of the Aroka myth in the King of Dragon Pass version of that myth, who has been identified with Zolan Zubar.

The Odaylan mystery might also apply to the hate-hate relationship between Shadzor Shargash and Zorak Zoran.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 3/11/2018 at 5:59 AM, jeffjerwin said:

We can theorize a bit about etymologies here: Zolan Zubar may contain a variant on Subere. L- and R- are very similar sounds, so Zolan and Zoran are near enough the same word. Zo[r]- or Sar- is perhaps a basic root word to Hell.

Sar- from Shar-.  Given Shargash, it checks out.  Gain +1% Speak God Tongue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2018 at 1:00 AM, jeffjerwin said:

In Sylila/Talastar the paramount god and storm god was Sky Bear before the Unity Council/Lightbringers brought Heortling culture to southern Peloria.

I don't think this is correct for Talastar - the Dawn Talastari worshiped Visku, their variant of (or just name for) Orlanth. 

On 9/22/2021 at 9:41 PM, Joerg said:

There is also "Hell Roar", the child of the seduction of Deloradella (Kyger Litor) in the prequel of the Aroka myth in the King of Dragon Pass version of that myth, who has been identified with Zolan Zubar.

Hell Roar (the SoR of the ZZ cult) or Crushing Noise, or are those the same? 

• 2 weeks later...

If a troll shaved his whole face every day I am sure he would wind up looking like a bear eventually due to the thickening of follicles caused by repeated cutting.  I had a boss who used to shave the tip of his nose every day for good luck.  It grew stubble.  Would not recommend it.