Multispell will render Protection obsolete.

Pentallion

9 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Not sure your cult will be too happy if all your rune pts are tied up and they need to send you on a quest that will require a variety of magic to suceed.

Possibly not. It would probably depend on the characters and circumstances. A Chalana Arroy Healer who can't cast any Rune Healing magic because they got an Extended  Protection spell up all the time would probably be in hot water. A Humakti who has an Extended Bladesharp or Truesword up all the time, probably not. But is is all tied to circumstances. Besides in most cases a character could drop a spell and pray to get the points back, if they needed to-assuming they have enough time. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, Atgxtg said:

Possibly not. It would probably depend on the characters and circumstances. A Chalana Arroy Healer who can't cast any Rune Healing magic because they got an Extended  Protection spell up all the time would probably be in hot water. A Humakti who has an Extended Bladesharp or Truesword up all the time, probably not. But is is all tied to circumstances. Besides in most cases a character could drop a spell and pray to get the points back, if they needed to-assuming they have enough time. 

Depends on the circumstances and conception.  For instance, I could see someone having a talent (basically a protection field, much like the White Rose's magic null in The Black Company), and I doubt CA would turn someone away for that, rather they'd figure out ways to use it.

17 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

Depends on the circumstances and conception.  For instance, I could see someone having a talent (basically a protection field, much like the White Rose's magic null in The Black Company), and I doubt CA would turn someone away for that, rather they'd figure out ways to use it.

Yup. Plus in RQ you rarely need a specific spell to accomplish something on a mission, so it probably doesn't matter how the group destroys the nasty chaos monster, just that they do, and that the Priest did their part. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

When we played RQ2, we used Multispell 3 with Disruption to cast 4D3 Disruptions, doing an average of 8 points of damage to a location. It could be effective, but we had to overcome POW and it hit a random location if successful. Sure, it could break a limb, some of the time, but wasn't that effective. We backed up up with MPs, to blast through Countermagic, especially as RQ2 Shield and Countermagic stacked. 

The game changer might be Extension, but I don't think so. With Rune Points, you can cast Multispell 8 at any time, even without Extension, the only difference is that a high Extension saves you casting it again.

A more feective use is Multipsell and Dispel Magic, have a high enough spell and you could, as we said, "Strip you down to your undies", in other words, removing all defensive magic. In RQ2, Dispel Magic 8 was good against Shield 4, but I had a 9 Point Powered Crystal, can't remember which one, and Dispel Magic 9, so I was casting Multispell 3 Dispel Magic 18s, which knocked pretty much everything down, if I overcame POW. We played that the spells all hit on the same SR, so could be used to blow through Countermagic.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, Furry Fella said:

Page 335 says

Multispell
1 Point
Self, Temporal, Stackable
This spell allows the caster to combine two spirit magic spells
and cast them at once. These are resolved as separate attacks.
The only exception to this is the Disruption spell, which can
be combined with itself and resolved as one attack doing
2D3 damage to one hit location

If you want to be a real pedantic Rules Lawyer (just like players when they want to be) then this could be interpreted in an interesting way.

One point of Multispell allows a Disruption spell to be combined with itself "doing 2D3 damage to one hit location".

I'm sure we would all agree that two points of Multispell will allow that process to happen twice, apparently allowing 3 Disruptions to be combined, but the description clearly states "doing 2D3 damage"

it doesn't actually say that the damage rolls from the two spells are totalled together (obviously that is the intention), but as written it states "doing 2D3 damage to one hit location".

So you can combine ten Disruptions if you wan't but as written there is an argument that it only does 2D3 damage.

A nasty interpretation of the rules, but perhaps one to use if the players are big fans of "that is what the rules say, it doesn't matter what was intended"

• Like 2

On 6/27/2018 at 12:42 AM, Mechashef said:

If you want to be a real pedantic Rules Lawyer (just like players when they want to be) then this could be interpreted in an interesting way.

One point of Multispell allows a Disruption spell to be combined with itself "doing 2D3 damage to one hit location".

I'm sure we would all agree that two points of Multispell will allow that process to happen twice, apparently allowing 3 Disruptions to be combined, but the description clearly states "doing 2D3 damage"

it doesn't actually say that the damage rolls from the two spells are totalled together (obviously that is the intention), but as written it states "doing 2D3 damage to one hit location".

So you can combine ten Disruptions if you wan't but as written there is an argument that it only does 2D3 damage.

A nasty interpretation of the rules, but perhaps one to use if the players are big fans of "that is what the rules say, it doesn't matter what was intended"

I think that is because this assumes another point stacking. In RQ2, Multispell 3 allowed you to do 4D3 damage. I assume the same is true for this version of Multispell.

It would have been nicer if the rule had said "Each point of Multispell allows a Disruption spell to be combined with itself doing an extra D3 damage to one hit location", with an example of Multispell 2 doing 3D3, or whatever.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here