Making Sorcerers

Richard S.

Would sorcery schools be structured in the same format as rune cults? With cult skills, passions, spells, and all that jazz? I'm trying to make a Lunar sorcerer and there's really not any examples of non-Lhankor Mhy sorcery schools even though the sorcery chapter talks about Malkionism, Aeoliansim, and Lunar Sorcery.

It's mentioned that Malkioni generally don't get Rune Magic (Maybe the exeptions are henotheists?) so I guess Malkioni Schools are structured like Cults and have skills and spirit magic associated with them but not Rune Magic and instead have sorcery spells for those of the Zzaburi caste (sometimes also those of the others depending on the School)

Edited by Tarumath

3 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I'm trying to make a Lunar sorcerer and there's really not any examples of non-Lhankor Mhy sorcery schools

Irrippi Ontor would be easiest.  Model on LM and possibly add spells that use the Moon rune (e.g. summoning dispelling Lunes).

One of my players has done exactly what you are trying to do. He’s a philosopher and I based it on LM and game him six spells. No spirit magic, no rune magic. He warped the spells to fit around the creepy lunar death cult he wanted. We altered a few of the requirements of the spells needed to make it more Death and moon than LM. I’ll look out his character sheet and post it if you if you like. We basically just made it up. And it’s great fun...

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

For Seven Mothers, yes. Not for every lunar cult.

Correct.  I was just referencing Irrippi Ontor.

For other Lunar sorceries, we have the Major and Minor Class Schools, and the Carmanians.  The latter would seem to have some focus on balancing dualistic powers (e.g. Natha) and powers of Darkness (e.g. from Spol) or Death (e.g. Humakt-related).

As for the Minor Class School, we have this short description from HQG:

"Lunar Minor Class Magician
This male magician from a Minor Class unit is an initiate of the Spindle Hag, whose cultists explore the diverse horrors and solaces concealed within the mysterious realms of darkness and
insanity. He wears long robes, a goatskin cloak over his shoulders and ankle boots with long curved toes. His horned headdress is fashioned from goat horns and ears."

That suggests some combination of the shamanic practices of Jakaleel possibly with sorcerous rites.  Could have spells related to disconnecting the spirit from the body, generating madness and hallucinations, etc.