Heortland - Queendom of Jab

10baseT

So i posted a few days ago about Queen Gagix and found out she's alive post circa 1625, and rather flourished, with Backford falling (thank you for the 13th Age Sourcebook reference). So i read the 13th Age Sourcebook and page 43 says she's extended deep into the former Malkonwal. Does that mean Durengard and Duchamp have fallen as well? I'm not sure what the former area of Malkonwal covered or how deep her Queendom now extends (and it could be it's not defined and YGMV which is fine.). Many thanks in advance.

The best map of the extent of Malkonwal (as of 1621) is the Guide p246.  Basically it's Heortland south of the Syphon River minus Bandori County, the County of the Isles and the Marcher County of which the status is uncertain (the first have allied with God Forgot, the second are pirates and the third is unknown).

• Like 1

I am a bit astonished that the term Malkonwal survived the capture of Rikard, but it is possible that the Lunars continued the term for the newly conquered district while they had it under their administration. It appears to be the only collective word for Heortland without Volsaxar.

Deep into Malkonwal probably means that the scorpionman plague spread through the forested foothills of the Storm Mountains, erupting onto the plateau in fast raids, harrassing the countryside. Scorpionmen make good raiders, but may be hard put to deal with disciplined cavalry.

Capturing Backford must have been quite the grizzly feast, but for all its role  as a junction in Belintar's Holy Country, it was a small city. But then its position at the exit of the Footprint would suggest that it had some protection or precautions against chaos outbreaks. The bigger cities (Jansholm, Durengard) probably have way better fortifications, and quite certainly larger garrisons, too.

Duchamp might be in greater danger than Durengard, being closer to those forests and a lot smaller.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, Joerg said:

I am a bit astonished that the term Malkonwal survived the capture of Rikard, but it is possible that the Lunars continued the term for the newly conquered district while they had it under their administration. It appears to be the only collective word for Heortland without Volsaxar.

Deep into Malkonwal probably means that the scorpionman plague spread through the forested foothills of the Storm Mountains, erupting onto the plateau in fast raids, harrassing the countryside. Scorpionmen make good raiders, but may be hard put to deal with disciplined cavalry.

Capturing Backford must have been quite the grizzly feast, but for all its role  as a junction in Belintar's Holy Country, it was a small city. But then its position at the exit of the Footprint would suggest that it had some protection or precautions against chaos outbreaks. The bigger cities (Jansholm, Durengard) probably have way better fortifications, and quite certainly larger garrisons, too.

Duchamp might be in greater danger than Durengard, being closer to those forests and a lot smaller.

In the History of the Heortling Peoples it is stated that the Bullford/flood region was guarded by Uroxi pilgrims and cultists, but it appears (reading between the lines) that Rikard drove them out, leaving the area ill-equipped to deal with Jab.

Edit: And/or the Bull cultists may have left with Broyan to fight in Esrolia.

Edited by jeffjerwin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Joerg said:

But then its position at the exit of the Footprint

I figure Bullpen fell as well then. One thing i noticed, was Bullpen isn't mentioned in the Guide to Glorantha or 13th Age Sourcebook and i haven't seen it on any maps other than the map from 'Dragon Pass. A Gazetteer of Kerofinela'. But that could be because it's just a small village and one can't mention every small village. I figure this is where the Uroxi camped. (I used Bullpen as a base of operations for going into the Print).

10 hours ago, Joerg said:

It’s also possible Backford isn’t intended to survive a full-on chaos assault, and the defensive plan when faced with a superior force was simply to evacuate as fast as possible, under cover of a rear guard action by defensive forces. After all, would you live happily in a small city that close to the forest without a backup plan? The fall of Backford may not be the disaster it seems by itself, but combined with a lack of an effective response force to take it back, the ongoing chaos encroachment might be a real problem.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

3 hours ago, 10baseT said:

I figure Bullpen fell as well then. One thing i noticed, was Bullpen isn't mentioned in the Guide to Glorantha or 13th Age Sourcebook and i haven't seen it on any maps other than the map from 'Dragon Pass. A Gazetteer of Kerofinela'. But that could be because it's just a small village and one can't mention every small village. I figure this is where the Uroxi camped. (I used Bullpen as a base of operations for going into the Print).

Bullpen is mentioned in History of the Heortling Peoples p87 

Once king, Rikard then removed a threat on his flank - a rebellion by the Uroxi Jarls of Bullpen and the Styrman Hills, who support Broyan, not Rikard. Rikard and his Seshnegi heavy cavalry chase off many of the Uroxi Jarls, which later allows the scorpionmen of the Queendom of Jab to erupt out of the Print.

It does not appear on the map of Sen Senrenen on p60.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 4:40 PM, 10baseT said:

I use Bullpen as a staging ground for Storm Bull Cultists. They gather into an army, attack the Footprint, all get killed and then the survivors return to the Bullpen, where they gather an army ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here