Where the Wild Things Are

jajagappa

Every so often I go exploring in the vast tome that is the Guide to Glorantha.  Today's exploration was in pursuit of beastfolk references, but it led me to p.511 in the midst of the Jrustela archipelago.

Narkast: An island inhabited by giant Beast Men with the heads of animals such as birds, bulls, goats, monkeys, and so on. They are ruled by a king, an outsider spared by the monsters called the Sendak, who rules for life, or at least until his “subjects” grow bored and devour him.

I had not realized that the Wild Things had found there way into Glorantha!  But Where the Wild Things Are was one of my favorite childhood books, and I enjoyed the discovery.  Probably won't ever make it there in a campaign though - Jrustela is well down on my list.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2018 at 2:34 PM, jajagappa said:

Every so often I go exploring in the vast tome that is the Guide to Glorantha.  Today's exploration was in pursuit of beastfolk references, but it led me to p.511 in the midst of the Jrustela archipelago.

Narkast: An island inhabited by giant Beast Men with the heads of animals such as birds, bulls, goats, monkeys, and so on. They are ruled by a king, an outsider spared by the monsters called the Sendak, who rules for life, or at least until his “subjects” grow bored and devour him.

I had not realized that the Wild Things had found there way into Glorantha!  But Where the Wild Things Are was one of my favorite childhood books, and I enjoyed the discovery.  Probably won't ever make it there in a campaign though - Jrustela is well down on my list.

I've even forgotten I put that in there! At some point I played around with the absolutely stupid and crazy idea of having no index at all, so that readers would have to digest the book as a whole, and thus all the literary references and in-jokes would get read along with the rest of the book. 

But sensibly, I sobered up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the great joys of the Guide read through was catching a lot of these (though I’m sure there are many we missed). 

I’m particularly proud of catching the Innsmouth reference, given that it required translation from a language I don’t speak! 

I hope we get into part two soon! I found some great stuff in Pamaltela I’m keen to share. 

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

I've even forgotten I put that in there! At some point I played around with the absolutely stupid and crazy idea of having no index at all, so that readers would have to digest the book as a whole, and thus all the literary references and in-jokes would get read along with the rest of the book. 

But sensibly, I sobered up.

The most obscure reference I found was Brekkek Kekkek Koax in the Darios Istos Isles (Argan Argar Atlas map 51).  

That's the Chorus in Aristophanes' the Frogs.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are a couple of Borges references, some of which I think got called out on the group read thread. One that as far as I can tell on a quick review of the relevant thread did not is that Tetlor in Junora (p. 216) is right out of "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius". The Irensavalist holy man's name "Tloenos" is a pretty clear acknowledgement, in case there was any doubt.

Herodotus's akephaloi or headless men showed up somewhere in the islands, but I don't know if that really counts as obscure or not.