more specific dates for 1602's Sartar campaign

jeffjerwin

Has anything more specific than "1602" been stated anywhere for the conquest of Sartar (I need to figure out what rough season the Hendriki left their tulas to die at the Battle of Caroman Pass, but an idea of the general dates would also be helpful).

Presumably the Empire began the attack in summer, when their (Dara Happan at least) magics are more potent, rather than the alternate campaigning period, during Storm/Darkness.

Edited by jeffjerwin

It sounds like the typical Fire Season campaigning. In fact, the description in Composite History of Dragon Pass sounds like a Full Game of the Dragon Pass boardgame with the Lunars having pre-spent diplomacy to ally Cragspider, the Tusk Riders, Delecti and the Dragonewts, and the Sartarites just getting one dragon, until we get to the fighting in Boldhome.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I have seen somewhere a drawing of the route the Lunars took going through Sartar, with dates of the key events. However, I cannot remember where I saw it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I've searched and searched and I can't find more detailed information.

In the Sartar Companion and King of Sartar it states that Runegate fell on a Full Moon day (Wild Day).

Wilmskirk was besieged a week following on the next Full Moon.

'days later' Salinarg appeared and attacked the Lunar camp at Caroman Pass. The Hendriki marching north encountered the same encampment from the south side.

From the pass the Lunars reached Boldhome a day later.

I estimate that the campaign took at least three weeks.

Edited by jeffjerwin

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that the Household of Death does stage an attack on the Reaching Moon Temple in Tarsh that heads off from Alda-Chur.  It nearly succeeds too.  My longest RQ campaign started in 1595 and that was one of the high water marks for the party.  I was fully prepared to have them re-write history, but their spells began to peter out and they didn't have extension.  One Wind Lord managed to get inside the temple, but I pointed out that he couldn't call on Divine Intervention, and  if he died, only the Lunars could resurrect him.  He had also used his Guided teleport during a battle on the cliffs near Alda Chur, and hadn't had time to renew it.  While he had a single 10pt thunderstone from the Tovtari tribal arsenal, and could potentially have disrupted the Moon Stone focus, he lost confidence and left.  Does that sound implausible?  Well, the focus of the Lunars was primarily on the battle and not so much on the Temple proper.  He snuck in with loads of woad and sandals of darkness, and that is how he left too.  The whole party became refugees in New Pavis, before starting a new life in Esrolia, but that, as they say, is another tale.

Edited by Darius West
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/29/2018 at 1:10 PM, Darius West said:

Remember that the Household of Death does stage an attack on the Reaching Moon Temple in Tarsh that heads off from Alda-Chur.  It nearly succeeds too. 

We are running our Backford Campaign from 1600, we'll get the PC's into trading, mostly as guards to Nochet, Runegate, Apple Lane, Troll Woods etc. they learn Trollball and might end up in or near Alda-Chur, maybe work with Jon Mith?

When they are up north they get drawn into the Invasion of Sartar - bad timing on their part? Was trying to tie them to the Silver Shields bu that is TBD.

Where were the specific battles in Northern Sartar? Has anyone used the Dangerford scenario or something like it and where as a battle in the 1602 Sartar Invasion or possibly a skirmish done with the Lunars a bit earlier due to growing "border tension"?

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Where were the specific battles in Northern Sartar? Has anyone used the Dangerford scenario or something like it and where as a battle in the 1602 Sartar Invasion or possibly a skirmish done with the Lunars a bit earlier due to growing "border tension"?

The Salinarg section of the Composite History of Dragon Pass always read to me like a game session report from a customized White Bear and Red Moon scenario (using one of those older combat resolution tables prior to the Corbett ones in the Dragon Pass iteration of the game). You can't go wrong using the game counters and their movement rates to locate the battle sites (if you don't have the game, most units are detailed with their WBRM stats in Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass, too, otherwise check out the Boardgamegeek page for Dragon Pass).

• Thanks 1

Though I never played the game we used it extensively as source material back in the 80's. I was just hoping it or someone had Lunar deployment/line of battle for the Sartar invasion. I think the major items were movement through Dwarf Ford, Runegate, Wilmskirk and Boldhome with a side bar attack by the Sartarites from Alda-Chur into Tarsh toward the Lunar Temple there with little success?

If anyone has more than this please post a link?

image.png.ecc8798ac0e00b068b94c431f33bf69b.png

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2018 at 1:10 PM, Darius West said:

The whole party became refugees in New Pavis, before starting a new life in Esrolia, but that, as they say, is another tale.

Mr. West very interested in that another tale.

We are long-windedly developing a campaign beginning in 1600, we are really interested in bullet points of your 1595 campaign. If any details are handy and you are not hesitant to share them?

These PC's are based in Backford, Heortland Plateau but are from diverse backgrounds.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have a source for total estimated casualties both military and civilian for the Sartar Invasion of 1602? What about the Bat at Runegate, Whimskirk, Boldhome?

The 1613 Rebelion?

What about the full conflict from 1602-1625 or so?

When I look at 1602, Building Wall, Pavis, 1613, Whitewall, the Great Winter, Dragon Rise etc., is it about 250k all in over the 25 or so years?

Sorry if I missed the thread if there is one.

• 2 weeks later...

The Salinarg chapter in the History of Dragon Pass reads a lot like a play report of a game of WBRM. Assuming those rules, and typical attrition in such a game, and rallying rate of units destroyed in the field... half the city militia and parts of what would later become the Sartar Free Army would have been "destroyed", with up to 50% lethal casualties. (100% when eaten by the Bat or sealing a treaty with Delecti or the Tusk Riders.)

Civilian casualties would be Runegate, foraging victims, victims of the zombie horde, collateral of the Crater Maker attacks, and subsequent victims of famine and diseases.

Subsequent tax slavery might count as casualties, too.

Edited by Joerg