New BRP-compatible magic/sorcery

pulpcitizen

From the currently (and indeed no longer published) Chaosium works, what if any games and supplements could serve to expand either the magic and/or sorcery rules?

Bear in mind I haven't played CoC since its GW edition, so I can no longer recall whether or not that spell system was reminiscent of either magic or sorcery.

Also does anyone have experience of Mythos Magic (monograph)? Does it act as a standalone or supplementary system? Is it workable with BRP?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by leonmallett

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

Definitely have a look at the Bronze Grimoire supplement for Elric / Stormbringer. It's tons of sorcery spells, demon stuff, magic items, plus a new Runic Magic system and new critters, all BRP-compatible off the shelf. You can generally pick copies up on eBay or sometimes Noble Knight, etc. Well worth it. Whilst you're at it, you could pick up Stormbringer 5th edition and use the demon summoning rules as is - again BRP compatible.

Apparently (although I haven't looked) you can also use the MRQ SRD magic systems too - I don't know how much tweaking would be needed given the rules are somewhat different, but it's probably not that much.

Lastly, if you can puzzle your way through French, there's the French Hawkmoon stuff by Oriflamme et al, still generally available, which gives you a kind of technosorcery system which is completely BRP.

Plenty out there! There's probably more, but that's off the top of my head.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Chaosium put out a set of Monographs that were basically reprints of RQ3 with the Glorantha references removed. They are no longer available at Chaosium.

Thanks for the clarification.

So has anyone had experience with Mythos Magic? if so any thoughts or recommendations?

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

From the currently (and indeed no longer published) Chaosium works, what if any games and supplements could serve to expand either the magic and/or sorcery rules?

Not really answering your question, but IMHO GURPS magic is a very good alternative magic system for BRP. It can be integrated with BRP with very little work and can coexist with RQ II and III spirit- and divine magic. It can be bought in PDF format from SJG:s site.

Another alternative is Sandy Peterson's Sorcery Rules. Google for it.

Peter Brink

Grey Ghost Games publishes A Magical Medley for Fudge, which has several magic systems detailed. Given that it's Fudge, which is basically "build your own game", conversion shouldn't be too difficult.

My favorite is "Occultism", inspired by Call of Cthulhu and ritual magic in general. BRP already has a "Sixth Sense" (POW) stat, an Occultism skill, and a Sanity system, which is all you really need.

EDIT: To answer your question more directly, you can find Avalon Hill's RuneQuest 3 materials on eBay and used games sites. Despite the publisher, RQ3 is essentially Chaosium's RQ system revised and expanded. The "Sorcery" system is essentially an expansion of BRP's Magic rules, and some "Spirit Magic" or "Divine Magic" spells might work in BRP's Sorcery.

Edited by fmitchell

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Tal Meta has some excellent expansions of Psionics, and a very large collection of Divine Magic for his GreyQuest game. (RQ for World of Greyhawk)

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Magic of the Young Kingdoms for Mongoose's Elric line has a number of magic systems that are (mostly) compatible with BRP.

I don't remember that one. Is that a monograph, or are you referring to "The Bronze Grimoire"?

BRP Zero Ed #136/420

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."

- The Fellowship of the Ring

err,

It's an MRQ supplement? Published by Mongoose...

:D

Nick

Oops... I need more coffee. :o

BRP Zero Ed #136/420

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."

- The Fellowship of the Ring