Can a shaman cast demoralize on an attacking spirit

Pentallion

I would be interested in hearing what other people think.  My gut instinct is that it doesn’t work, the reason being is that the spirit combat skill is both attack and defense (as an opposed roll) and the Demoralize Spell says that you may still defend fully (as normal).   

Just my two Clacks.

16 minutes ago, Psullie said:

I agree with Phil, a discorporate Shaman can cast it on any non-engaged spirit with INT. Useful if you want to avoid a particular entity. even when spirit combat starts, the effected spirit would not be able to cast spells.

The problem with any tactic like this, however, is that if you can beat it in a POW v POW to cast the spell on it, you could probably beat it in spirit combat as well. But the spirit combat might weaken your MP reserves if you are saving them for a bigger fight later on, so it could be strategically worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2018 at 12:55 AM, Pentallion said:

When tooling around on the spirit plane?

I think so, but just checking.  I don't know if this should go in the official questions thread or not.  If so, I'll move it to there.

Yes, why not? It might be a good tactic, as the Spirit might run if its Magic Points are reduced quite a bit.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 11/22/2018 at 5:38 AM, PhilHibbs said:

The problem with any tactic like this, however, is that if you can beat it in a POW v POW to cast the spell on it, you could probably beat it in spirit combat as well. But the spirit combat might weaken your MP reserves if you are saving them for a bigger fight later on, so it could be strategically worthwhile.

I really like this idea.  It is a completely valid use of the spell to solve a common problem.