RQG Sorcery - Protective Circle

Bryon1187

I'm finally getting an RQG campaign running.  I have one player interested in sorcery (Lhankor Mhy Philosopher) - we are taking this first campaign slowly.  As we have been trying to understand the rules and processes we came across implementing the Protective Circle spell:  is there a limit to the number of spells you can cast onto the circle, and is it only sorcery spells or can you cast spirit/rune magic on it?  It feels like a game breaker if it can hang Spirit/Rune magic.  Thoughts?

I'd certainly rule it to be Sorcery only. But there's no limit on the number of spells; you just have to be able to cast them before the Circle runs out, and they can't be stronger than the Circle. So since you don't need to put Intensity into Duration or range for the spells, you can concentrate on your Circle Inscription, but that limits you to doing spells on a Circle if you want best effects, which is... tactically constraining...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kloster said:

As it is written "None of the spells cast on the protective circle can have a higher strength" and only sorcery spells have strength, I read it only sorcery spells can be cast on the circle, even if it is not explicitely stated.

Kloster

Excellent - thanks!

14 hours ago, womble said:

I'd certainly rule it to be Sorcery only. But there's no limit on the number of spells; you just have to be able to cast them before the Circle runs out, and they can't be stronger than the Circle. So since you don't need to put Intensity into Duration or range for the spells, you can concentrate on your Circle Inscription, but that limits you to doing spells on a Circle if you want best effects, which is... tactically constraining...

Thanks!

On 12/21/2018 at 3:05 PM, Kloster said:

As it is written "None of the spells cast on the protective circle can have a higher strength" and only sorcery spells have strength, I read it only sorcery spells can be cast on the circle, even if it is not explicitely stated.

Kloster

I asked if Rune or Spirit spells could be cast on a Protective Circle in the Core Rules Questions thread.  Jason responded that he thought so, but would check with Jeff.  That was about a month ago, haven't noticed anything else since