Sunbright and Shield

Mechashef

Can these two spells be cast on the same target or are they incompatible?

Sunbright:

gives the recipient the equivalent of a Shimmer 2 spell.

And

Each point of Shield gives the wearer 2 points of magical armor and 2 points of Countermagic (equivalent to the spirit magic spell). The effects of this spell are cumulative with wither Protection or Countermagic .

Shimmer is incompatible with Countermagic, Protection and Spirit Screen.

I can see arguments for allowing the spells to be compatible, and also arguments for them being incompatible.

What are people's opinions?

Thanks 

It says "the equivalent of", not "the actual spell" so I'd say it's legal. We're dealing with god magic here, who cares if it's balanced?

I do wonder at the in-world reasons for spirit magic incompatibility though. Do protection and shimmer spirits just not get along? "Damn you you blurry excuse for a defense spirit! Just stand there and take the damage like a real man!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Richard S. said:

It says "the equivalent of", not "the actual spell" so I'd say it's legal. We're dealing with god magic here, who cares if it's balanced?

I do wonder at the in-world reasons for spirit magic incompatibility though. Do protection and shimmer spirits just not get along? "Damn you you blurry excuse for a defense spirit! Just stand there and take the damage like a real man!"

I think the reason is 'compatibility with RQ2'. Joke aside, I think you are right and 'equivalent' does not mean 'same', so it should be legal. After all, it is not written 'forbidden'.

On 4/11/2019 at 3:30 AM, Mechashef said:

Can these two spells be cast on the same target or are they incompatible?

Yes, they are compatible.

Countermagic/Shimmer/Protection are not compatible, but, by and large, Runespells that contain them are, unless they are stated not to be.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Yes, they are compatible.

Countermagic/Shimmer/Protection are not compatible, but, by and large, Runespells that contain them are, unless they are stated not to be.

The Countermagic debate with respect to e.g. Berserk and whether you can cast rune magic on top of it or whether you trigger the spell doing it in that sequence still isn't decided...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The Countermagic debate with respect to e.g. Berserk and whether you can cast rune magic on top of it or whether you trigger the spell doing it in that sequence still isn't decided...

It is for me.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here