Alephtar Forums

RosenMcStern

So, the year-long struggle between the Alephtar forums and international spammers has come to an end. With a crushing (albeit pyrrhic, as they now have one less forum to spam) victory for the bad guys. I could not even recover the messages there, as the provider deleted the overloaded database while I was purposefully without connection for one week - floating internetless in the Gulf of Castellammare.

Nothing too bad, as the biggest use the forums saw for the last two years was Smiorgan organising an online Elric game, but it still bugs me a little.

The link on the front page has been redirected towards this forum, at least temporarily.

What do people think? Is a new forum necessary to discuss RD100 rules or does this one suffice?

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

8 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Nothing too bad, as the biggest use the forums saw for the last two years was Smiorgan organising an online Elric game, but it still bugs me a little.

And the RQ6-Elric forum game is still going strong on Google groups, with the heroes paying a visit to the Vanishing Tower and Voilodion Ghagnasdiak! LOL.

For me this forum is sufficient to discuss Revolution d100.

• Like 1

Although having your own forum on your own site means you have complete control over the content and tone, I think that an Alephtar forum here should work just as well.

Presumably you are a moderator on the Alephtar forum here? If not, you probably should be.

I would be happy for all the D100 games to have a forum here.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I too prefer NOT to need to hit multiple sites for a single topic; BRP-Central is fine with me!

FWIW, however -- for RPG stuff -- I generally like a 2-site structure:  a publishers' forum to be an "official" source and where ALL announcements / info / etc can be found (*poke*Chaosium*G+*BRPCentral*Newsletters*Blog*Kickstarter*etc*etc*etc*cough*cough*cough*), along with fan/buyer posts... PLUS a more free-wheeling and unofficial forum, where gripes and "issues" do not have to be addressed by the publisher, and where folks posting can digress, cross-pollinate into unlicensed IP's, etc.  I think that 2nd forum could be a general one (such as RPG.net) however, not necessarily here at BRPCentral.

For example, I'd be willing to bet that a certain new sci-fi movie-release (in a massive franchise recently-owned by The Big Mouse) could be ported into RD100 quite nicely indeed, but that detailed discussion of any such would get Cease-and-Desisted (with extreme prejudice) on an "official" forum run by any non-licensed publisher.  On a general RPG-and-geekery site, not so much so...

C'es ne pas un .sig

I have already posted stats for characters recently-owned by The Big Mouse on these boards, and we have not been hit by a cease and desist letter (or by Mjollnir, which is the only thing that hurts more than an angry attorney). And there is plenty of debate about IPs that are licensed to other game publishers. So I think it is rather safe to assume you can discuss any subject here "as an example of adapting existing settings".

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

23 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

I have already posted stats for characters recently-owned by The Big Mouse on these boards, and we have not been hit by a cease and desist letter (or by Mjollnir, which is the only thing that hurts more than an angry attorney). And there is plenty of debate about IPs that are licensed to other game publishers. So I think it is rather safe to assume you can discuss any subject here "as an example of adapting existing settings".

Yeah, there's plenty of scope to discuss tightly-held IP's.  Specifics that I have seen pass unchallenged (on various boards) include:

• Discussion/debate/etc is something most IP-owners WANT -- buzz, fan-engagement -- as it amounts to free advertising and presumably increased sales.
  • Individual "Named-Character" stats "as an example" has (afaik) never raised any legal hackles (though the fans of the IP may rip you a new one ;-)
  • Working through the details of any specific problem (e.g. "How would I implement the Eye of Sauron (as per the novels) using RD100?")

But I suspect a fully-realized, GM-and-player-ready 'port of a licensed IP would likely be... a problem (depending on the IP, I suppose; but more-likely a problem when there is an officially-licensed RPG).  I'd love to be mistaken about this... but find it "angels-fear-to-tread" territory!

C'es ne pas un .sig