GM screen?

mummi

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a landscape pdf BRP screen as well if anyone has one made. I've also emailed Dustin to voice my support for one.

I just noticed that Cubicle 7 has one for The Laundry. Maybe they could make a generic BRP one if Chaosium isn't interested?

129/420

hm, Nick's list seems pretty good. But it is nearly all the things you have in the Appendix of the Golden Book.

I printed them out again, on parchment paper and put them into a 20 sheet clear PVC map. It is easy to handle and every player is able to grab it.

I am not sure if the all the stuff on Nick's list will fit on the GM screen and the Reference sheets.

I will have a look if I can do a quick and dirty GM screen by simply "cutting out" the tables of the BRP book and put them together in a DTP program. ;)

I'm back in! :-D

Working on the GM screen as we discussed earlier in the thread. Also have some other mayhem up my sleeve... :-D

Here, for the recap, was the list of tables to be included with page numbers for the tables. Open again for discussion but know I am in the design process today, but tweaks are always possible! :-D

BRP GM Screen v1 notes.pdf

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

• 3 weeks later...

Throught my gaming years, cobbling a GM screen together became a must for most systems. A product I picked up and am currently using for a Basic GM screen is the Master Screen Quad by Citizen Games. I am not sure if this is still made but it is really great. It is durable and thick, with four panels on the front and back with see through inserts to add any paperwork and cutouts you need to make you own GM screen. This thing really is awesome. It beats stapling manilla folders, cardboard, and other various GM screen materials anyday.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Here is my entry into the landscape GM screen for BRP (in the downloads section). I wanted to do this nearly 2 years ago, but got side-tracked! :-D I am hoping to get some fan input before moving onto handouts/supplementary tables and the Player Handout.

First, kudos and Thanks to Nick Middleton for his suggestions and list of tables to put where. That was very helpful. I was able to fit several more beyond the initial batch on the 4 panels, and I hope I chose the most broadly useful ones. Let me know!

I created a combat “crib” notes area, please let me know if a) it's understandable and/or B) any suggestions to make it clearer without dramatically increasing the depth of the “table”.

Here is some philosophy/design principles;

1) Nothing TOO fancy, so it would be easy on the ink.

2) Easy to read at the table (the standard font is 10pt Times New Roman, with serif fonts generally being easier to read on paper...).

3) Generically useful to various BRP GM's (optional rules can be on "handout" or supplementary sheets).

Let me know what you think!

Part II:

Once everyone says the 4 “main” panels are acceptable, I will start work on the various supplementary tables. This will be in “handout” type sheets that can be passed around and shared or the GM can just have handy for quick reference. If interested, see Nick's earlier post about what tables should be where. I'm using that with a few exceptions (had more room, so some tables made it on the panels).

I am also planning on creating a Player “Crib” Sheet using the same format with tables and notes for easy reference for players during play; likely in a 2 page front-and-back landscape format. Any ideas on what would be useful there are also welcome!

Thanks,

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Here is a photo of my screen.

gmscreen.jpg

What I did was to simply copy (CTRL+C) tables out of the BGB and paste (CTRL+V) them into a word document which was formatted as landscape.

Once the layout was as I wanted it, I printed the pages on thick paper (120gsm I think - might have been higher) and then laminated. The laminated pages were then attached using white duct tape to create a hinge.

The other reference sheets you see in the bottom right have been printed off and laminated for reference purposes - saves going to the BGB.

EDIT: Uploaded the screen to the BRP Downloads >> http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=417

Edited by WEMO

Cool, definitely will have to print this out. I made a booklet of about 20+ pages that have all the charts and sidebars full of information which functions like a GM screen. Wanted to upload it, but the file was originally too large. I reduced it, so it might work. Anyone know the attachment policy for this site?

The status quo sucks.

- George Carlin

• 6 months later...

trechiron,

I see you used InDesign. Any chance you'd be willing to share the InDesign source files? There are quite a few tweaks I'd be inclined to make, for my own purposes. Happy to share them back if anybody else was interested.

- some use of color

- change fonts

- slightly more space and/or definition between tables

Thanks!

I'm planning on making a GM screen that on the front has pockets that I can slip papers into and create game specific fronts to then slip in so my players know what kind of game we're playing. Once I get it built, I'll take some pictures. Currently I'm trying to determine the layout of my side which will determine the layout of the other side.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas