Allied spirits

Luxus

4 hours ago, Caras said:

I guess an allied spirit has the same runes (and rune percentages) as it´s master (runelord/priest). An allied spirit uses its masters runes when casting Runespells of the master. I guess an allied spirit does not have a runepool of it own. Otherwise for example Leika´s Allied Spirit would have runespells of it own.

I see no reason to restrict an allied spirit to its allied Rune Priest or Lord's runes, other then common sense when it comes to casting of spells in the choice of runes (there are still a lot of runes to be chosen), and ease in integrating the characters of Rune Level adventurer and allied Spirit. I can think of one reason to not; if the personality’s clash a little it would add a dynamic tension between the two beings. From a story point this can be a bonus.

If this is true, I wonder what the initial rune percentages would be, perhaps as normal in the rules for an adventurer in chargen?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

2 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I see no reason to restrict an allied spirit to its allied Rune Priest or Lord's runes, other then common sense when it comes to casting of spells in the choice of runes (there are still a lot of runes to be chosen), and ease in integrating the characters of Rune Level adventurer and allied Spirit. I can think of one reason to not; if the personality’s clash a little it would add a dynamic tension between the two beings. From a story point this can be a bonus.

If this is true, I wonder what the initial rune percentages would be, perhaps as normal in the rules for an adventurer in chargen?

The Bestiary gives some ideas as well. Always the spirit rune, the corresponding Elemental rune if it's an Elemental, Chaos if it's chaotic, maybe others like Form Runes.

It would be crazypants if a Humakti Allied Spirit in a sword didn't have Death, for instance.

24 minutes ago, Kloster said:

Perfectly right. The question is now: If you are a Rune Priest and have an allied spirit, do you lose it if you request to be demoted to God-Talker status?

That seems harsh, plus you two supposedly have a special bond. 

Putting it into hibernation or having it take a vacation seems like the fair idea. You can get it back later if you regain your old status.

Additional question: what happens to your Allied Spirit either when you go from Rune Priest to Rune Lord, or if you manage to slip from Rune Lord down into Rune Priest? You still have a spirit, but what about its POW? The easiest and most sensible ruling here might be to say it's the same spirit, but it gains/loses six points of POW in the process. 

On 9/27/2019 at 3:25 PM, Joerg said:

This spirit is the object of a spirit cult, a completely different relationship than an allied spirit sent by a deity or a lesser spirit captured or bargained into a binding (enchantment or crystal).

Yes, you can sacrifice POW to the object of a cult, whether deity or spirit. RQG has a rule for wyter spirits (only) that allows 1:1 conversion of sacrificed POW into wyter POW (which then can be used to cast rune magic). An initiatory relationship is required (or established) for the transfer.

An ancestor worshiper worships the ancestors he or she can target with "Gift POW".

To me, this indicates that the POW transfer works upwards, towards entities receiving worship, but not horizontally or even downstairs.

You can sacrifice POW to your Fetch though, and that's the closest analogy I can think of to an Allied Spirit.

It's also a fun roleplaying and problem-solving opportunity if spirits can receive POW in general. It allows you to give them a hefty bribe (MPs are so cheap!), to deliberately build up a spirit through sacrifices, and so on. 

That said, it's really powerful if you can transfer POW to your Allied Spirit, especially if they don't have full POW gain (I'm super unsure about what kind of POW gain they have).

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

You can sacrifice POW to your Fetch though, and that's the closest analogy I can think of to an Allied Spirit.

your fetch is a part of your soul, not the allied spirit.

If your fetch is destroyed you are dead.

If your allied spirit is destroyed, you are still alive (my memory about a story from an Issaries Priest in sun dome, in the oriflam version)

I see more analogy between allied spirit and adventure comrade (PC or NPC)

The question could be, what happens if you sacrifice POW to someone/thing

• Like 1

12 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

your fetch is a part of your soul, not the allied spirit.

If your fetch is destroyed you are dead.

If your allied spirit is destroyed, you are still alive (my memory about a story from an Issaries Priest in sun dome, in the oriflam version)

I see more analogy between allied spirit and adventure comrade (PC or NPC)

The question could be, what happens if you sacrifice POW to someone/thing

This! 

59 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

I'm interested in the binding itself. According to the rules on binding (and enchantment in general), you have to make permanent markings on the thing, person, animal you want to enchant... So, branding? Tattoos?? I'd like to see who volunteers to hold the shadowcat for that!!!

While not substantiated in the rules, the way I envision it is that you become a Wind Lord and do your special magic dance to make Orlanth happy. Then a surly former Wind Lord Hero walks out of the nearby bushes and gives you a really sarcastic critique because he's now stuck in the body of a shadowcat and is generally in a bad mood and misses his opposable thumbs. Or suddenly your sword starts talking, and no one else can hear it (but it's advice is useful, sooo...).

I see receiving an allied spirit as something that happens to the adventurer, rather than a procedure which is followed.

• Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, Crel said:

While not substantiated in the rules, the way I envision it is that you become a Wind Lord and do your special magic dance to make Orlanth happy. Then a surly former Wind Lord Hero walks out of the nearby bushes and gives you a really sarcastic critique because he's now stuck in the body of a shadowcat and is generally in a bad mood and misses his opposable thumbs. Or suddenly your sword starts talking, and no one else can hear it (but it's advice is useful, sooo...).

I see receiving an allied spirit as something that happens to the adventurer, rather than a procedure which is followed.

Perhaps allied spirits are difficult**... I figured the enchantment runes are required to keep the spirit in the middle realm, instead of having to go back to (or maybe, only have senses in) the spirit realm (or halls of their respective god).

(Edit - I mean "different"... Fkn autocorrect)

Edited by Shiningbrow

2 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Perhaps allied spirits are difficult... I figured the enchantment runes are required to keep the spirit in the middle realm, instead of having to go back to (or maybe, only have senses in) the spirit realm (or halls of their respective god).

The rules are in-between - you don't bind your allied spirit, but you also don't stumble upon it. You persuade it.

"Allied spirits are limited in number, and only the most
stalwart and loyal priests can obtain these divine companions.
When a priest first obtains their office, they can attempt
to gain an allied spirit as part of the investment ceremony.
This marks a special favor from the deity. The priest must
persuade the spirit to ally."

"Attempting to ally a spirit resembles attempting to bind
it, but involves persuasion rather than combat."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

The rules are in-between - you don't bind your allied spirit, but you also don't stumble upon it. You persuade it.

"Allied spirits are limited in number, and only the most
stalwart and loyal priests can obtain these divine companions.
When a priest first obtains their office, they can attempt
to gain an allied spirit as part of the investment ceremony.
This marks a special favor from the deity. The priest must
persuade the spirit to ally."

"Attempting to ally a spirit resembles attempting to bind
it, but involves persuasion rather than combat."

Yeah, I know that bit. I'm thinking more along the lines of what keeps it tied to the physical world... Not why it would want to.

21 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

I'm thinking more along the lines of what keeps it tied to the physical world...

What keeps a genius loci tied to the Middle World? Or a spirit possessing a body? I see no reason an allied spirit would require enchantment runes since those beings don't require enchantment.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website