BRP Vehicle Project - Cars

Atgxtg

No comments, I wonder if that is good or bad?

Do people think the car stats look so good that no one has any complaint or so bad that they are not worth trying to fix?

Or maybe not many people really care one way or the other about vehicle stats?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No comments, I wonder if that is good or bad?

They look very good, but as a science fiction player there is not much I could

write about "archaic" ground vehicles. ;)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

If I'm gonna be brutally honest, then no, I don't really care much about vehicle-stats;)

But the work here is rock solid and should be in the downloads under resources. I'll probably use this if I get another Delta Green game going.

And that comparative STR/HP/kW-thingy was brilliant. Not really sure what I might use it for, but there is something strangely compelling about it.

Okay, I just wanted to be sure that this was "going in the right direction" as far as others are concerned. I didn't want to waste time putting this stuff here if it wasn't of interest to anyone else (besides rust, that is).

As far as some of the thoughts mentioned go:

hey look very good, but as a science fiction player there is not much I could

write about "archaic" ground vehicles.

How do people get around in those underwater cities walk? Maybe they would have some sort of "ground" vehicle. Something like a EV or fuel cell car a(turn sea water into hydrogen fuel and the oxygen is used to replenish the air). Something like that submersible Lotus Of James Bond fame might be the typical car.

You're just fishing for a K factor for skimmers, right? ;)

But the work here is rock solid and should be in the downloads under resources. I'll probably use this if I get another Delta Green game going.

And that comparative STR/HP/kW-thingy was brilliant. Not really sure what I might use it for, but there is something strangely compelling about it.

Thanks for the input. IT will eventually find its way into the DL section, or maybe just maybe be released as a supplement. Not that I've got any kind of deal going, but I've worked out the bugs, and have stats for a thousand cars, plus ships, subs, and aircraft, who knows?

Yeah the hp to STR idea was brilliant. I wish it was mine. Greg Porter actually came up with that first for EABA. Mr. Porters is probably the best designer for designing game data around real world information. I just took the idea of a correlation and brought it to BRP.

Since the design process uses real world values not only does it give you a guideline for converting stuff into BRP, but much of it would work independent of the game system. So someone could use this to design craft for a game other than BRP. Rust is kinda doing that already.

For a Berlin '61 type spy game you'd definitely want some vehicle stats for those dramatic James Bond-ian car chases. Ditto for a 1920s/'30s gangster or pulp type game.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking of. I got stats for the Trabant, with Berlin 761 in mind. It certain helps to keep the mood/flavor using a period car like the Trabant. rather than generic sedan. It's also why I've been digging up dozens of Edwardain and Vintage era stats. I'm looking up info on some of the early electric and steam powered cars too. Both for historic games, and for fantasy campaigns. I can imagine stuff like a steamer being powered by a fire elemental,or crankshafts being turned by gnomes.

Throw in a little Runquest, and you could have a Duck Tracy campaign!

Ow!. Fowl Play.

Maybe they would have some sort of "ground" vehicle.

I am still not sure how to handle this. Inside the domes they currently use ei-

ther conveyor belts (I hope this is the right word) or small electrically powe-

red vehicles (somewhat like golf carts, too small and slow to need any stats),

and outside they use either diving hardsuits with small water jet backpacks,

the Partan Walkers mentioned earlier or submersibles.

Ground vehicles ... I have to think about it. :)

You're just fishing for a K factor for skimmers, right? ;)

Caught again ... :o

(Charlie Chan)

... small electrically powered vehicles (somewhat like golf carts, too small and slow to need any stats)

Don't say things like that. Nothing is too slow or small to need any stats. You never know when a PC will use one for cover, run someone down with one or pick up an try to throw one. So:

Yamaha Ultima Electric G19E Golf Cart

Rated Speed: 3

Handling: -5%

ACC: 1

MOV: 27 (24 kph/15 mph)-thanks to a governor (who would want to go 100 kph over rough terrain in a golf cart?)

Armor: 10/0

SIZ: 26 (SIZ 32, with six SIZ 5 , 8 volt/107 minute golf cart batteries)

Hit Points: 26

Crew:1

Passengers: 1

STR: 35

Not that it counts, but I'm voting for the Aqua-car.

Thank you very much indeed. :):):)

Not that it counts, but I'm voting for the Aqua-car.

I will think about it. I like the idea, but I would have to change a couple of things,

for example the habitats would need some new kind of "wet lock / dry dock" for

the cars, I think.

Edited by rust

(Charlie Chan)

I'll chime in that it looks like great work. I'm not currently using or planning on any modern BRP where vehicles would be used sadly, so won't likely be using it anytime soon.

These beg for some expanded chase rules.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

I'll chime in that it looks like great work. I'm not currently using or planning on any modern BRP where vehicles would be used sadly, so won't likely be using it anytime soon.

These beg for some expanded chase rules.

Beyond chase rules... Car Wars/Autoduel anyone? :thumb:

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

For Rust's underwater game, mightn't the colonists have some sort of seabed crawler for collecting minerals, or clams, or whatever else useful may be half-buried in the muck? A Seaview-style flying sub might be nice, too, but that's getting away from "cars."

In Isaac Asimov's "Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus" the hero had to use an unusual sporting vehicle to get from one end of the undersea dome to the other: a monopod "hopper" originally intended for racing. It consisted of an egg-shaped cockpit atop a powerful atomic motor perched on a thick mechanical leg. It was agile as a jackrabbit and traveled in 30-foot leaps, fast but not for drivers subject to motion sickness.

For Rust's underwater game, mightn't the colonists have some sort of seabed crawler for collecting minerals, or clams, or whatever else useful may be half-buried in the muck?

Indeed, but I decided to give them somewhat crab like walkers (the Partan

Walkers of post 12 of this thread), because six legged walkers seemed more

useful on the often rather broken ground of the seafloor. :)

(Charlie Chan)

for example the habitats would need some new kind of "wet lock / dry dock" for the cars, I think.

Gee, you'd think any species that wanted to colonize a water world would be smart enough to alter their genetic structure and make themselves amphibious. ;)

BRP Mad Max.

Mmmm.... Tasty.

How many rocket launchers can you fit on a Prius anyway?

6,027. But, that's with the optional JBL 4 disc CD changer.

Edited by Atgxtg

Consistent and good. :)

Your rules really takes parts of BRP to another level of reality. Keep it going! :thumb:

SGL.

Thanks, "bug". Overall, the feedback seems to be quite positive on this, so I guess the cars are working out.

Consistent is the key word, too. While "eyeballing" stats can often be faster and easier when "stating up" one vehicle, or even a handful, some sort of guidelines are needed to keep it all consistent. At the 300+ mark, it is much easier to type real data into a spreadsheet and have formulas do all the work than trying to "eyeball" every car write-up.

At the 300+ mark, it is much easier to type real data into a spreadsheet and have formulas do all the work than trying to "eyeball" every car write-up.
Unless someone else has statted up the 300+, then all you need to do is eyeball your own invention...:D

Which is why you deserve a huge thank-you from all of us.

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Unless someone else has statted up the 300+, then all you need to do is eyeball your own invention...:D

Which is why you deserve a huge thank-you from all of us.

While all gratitude is appreciated, don't thank me until I actually "release" something. I for some reason everything goes "poof", te only benefits for others are stats for a score of cars, a golf cart, and a couple of spreadsheets.

I have been considering making some of my spreadhseets/worksheets available, but I've been holding off--that way I can still play around with the formulas and stats.

I'm not sure if it is better to let a few things out and let other try them (and send me feedback and more data) or keep it all under wraps until its ready.:confused:

It I could get a half dozen people using the car worksheet and sending/posting the stats that would mean more cars available for mass consumption, and more cars for "the book" (I think I'll give it a blue cover).:cool:

I probably should post some stats for watercraft and aircraft, too. Watercraft rules have been behaving rather nicely.