Jump to content

Stunt question


Lloyd Dupont

Recommended Posts

I loved stunts from the BRP supplement "Blood Tide" and I loved stunts in "Revolution D100"

Preparing my future scifi campaign I am trying to formalise all the home made home brew rule I plan to use neatly and try to write down neatly a plethora of start stunts idea.

In the particular case of combat stunts, I was going write done many inspired by Blood Tide, and just like Blood Tide I was about to make them cost MP.
But then it hit me....
What if I used Fatigue instead? ūüėģ¬†

I guess sure, hey, why not?
The question is I am not playing BRP at the moment and I wonder if there was anyone here who are definitely NOT number lovers, yet use fatigue in their game easily enough with good effect?

 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I loved stunts from the BRP supplement "Blood Tide" and I loved stunts in "Revolution D100"

Preparing my future scifi campaign I am trying to formalise all the home made home brew rule I plan to use neatly and try to write down neatly a plethora of start stunts idea.

In the particular case of combat stunts, I was going write done many inspired by Blood Tide, and just like Blood Tide I was about to make them cost MP.
But then it hit me....
What if I used Fatigue instead? ūüėģ¬†

I guess sure, hey, why not?
The question is I am not playing BRP at the moment and I wonder if there was anyone here who are definitely NOT number lovers, yet use fatigue in their game easily enough with good effect?

 

I think this is a fine idea, as I have never had an issue with fatigue. However, the general consensus seems to be that it was too much book keeping if using it RAW.

In fact, I have thought of using it in fantasy games to power magic as well.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

What if I used Fatigue instead? ūüėģ¬†

I guess sure, hey, why not?
The question is I am not playing BRP at the moment and I wonder if there was anyone here who are definitely NOT number lovers, yet use fatigue in their game easily enough with good effect?

I have often thought about having Fps deducted as MPs are spent (possibly on a one for one basis), showing that casting tires one. As SDLeary says, one needs to be okay with the extra bookkeeping 

  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems like a sound concept. 

 

RE: Fatigue Point

I always thought the objection to Fatigue was the hassle of dealing with  1% incremental penalties to skills, not the Fatigue Points. 

I had considered just tracking the penalties in 10% increments at CON intervals. So every time a character accrued their CON in Fatigue they suffered another -10%.

  • Thanks 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

I had considered just tracking the penalties in 10% increments at CON intervals. So every time a character accrued their CON in Fatigue they suffered another -10%.

Took me a sec to  grasp but, that is easy.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

It seems like a sound concept. 

 

RE: Fatigue Point

I always thought the objection to Fatigue was the hassle of dealing with  1% incremental penalties to skills, not the Fatigue Points. 

I had considered just tracking the penalties in 10% increments at CON intervals. So every time a character accrued their CON in Fatigue they suffered another -10%.

I too thought of something like that. Then I forgot!
thanks for reminding me :)

I will write down a few alternate rules as try out suggestion reminder now! :) 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The big question is:

  • why do you need to add "drawbacks" to the use of Stunts?

Do you have statistical data that shows that players will abuse stunts if you do not make them "cost" something? That battles will become unfun? If not, then all this bookkeeping is not only annoying, it is also pointless. Just let them use stunts when appropriate and you are fine.

  • Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mmm.. it's a good question, one that me made pause for a little while...

And maybe one could argue that perhaps some stunt could be free...
Indeed, the typical one that unlock a combat effect / manoeuvre on a normal attack instead of a critical / advantage ought to be of the free kind.

But I am going to advocate below, with 2 examples, that some should definitely have limitations.

One is a stunt from Blood Tide, Flashing Blade, give a character an additional number of melee attack in a given round for a cost of 1MP + 1MP/attack.
I think we can all agree that, if such a stunt were to be introduced in the game, it would need to have some sort of limitation.

Also I like to think of (some) stunts as ultimate. A good ultimate is an ace card that you gleefully hold in reserve, not something that you dish every round or it somehow lose its ace value.
For example a stunt in Blood Tide give a damage bonus of +1D6 bonus damage dice . And for the sake of argument I could be considering a version that even give +2D6 or maybe +3D6, maybe requiring both martial and also allegiance prowess.
However I wouldn't like my dishing that damage single attack on every single round....

 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My personal taste would be to have Hit Points representing a character's fatigue, energy and morale rather than just actual wounds, instead of having 2 different jauges for fatigue and health.

That would result in a game where Hit Points are lost more frequently, but also recovered quicker.

Going under 0 HP would result in malus to skills.

Real Wounds would result in reduced HP Maximum until fully healed, and Death would occur when max Hit Points are reduced to 0.

Edited by Mugen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...