Interesting gun you got there, buddy!

There's a great You Tube channel called Forgotten Weapons available for the Investigator with an eye on 'personal protection'. :)

While it must be noted that many of the interesting ones were custom or rare, I couldn't help thinking that the ... er ... "well heeled" Investigator might consider the Lancaster Howdah pistols (dated from Victorian times for the military and big game hunter) to the U.S. Auto Bandits which available from the 20's up to the early '40s were, in effect, shop-bought sawn-off shotguns!

Keepers should always limit because of their rarity and state and country legislation, but might give investigators an interesting option. Seems to me that existing combat/weapon rules could easily be applied.

• Like 4

Wikipedia says that the Lancaster Howdah Pistol could fire .410 shotgun shells, which have half the pellets of a 12 gauge. so, not devastating but probably effective enough. The US Auto & Bandit Pistols fires 20 gauge shells, which are in between .420 and 12 bore/gauge shells.

They both look really cool. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Personally, I think investigators should have access to Slayer Laser Lances (patent pending) from "Krull."  The weapon fires two to four high-intensity laser pulses, then the stock/haft flips around to serve as a sort of energy-enhanced pike.  Good versus annoying Nazgul and Imperial Stormtroopers as well as Mythos baddies.

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/381609768406193803/?amp_client_id=CLIENT_ID(_)&mweb_unauth_id=eb577ef21fe849b5838af4f4fba563da&simplified=true

Edited by seneschal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, EricW said:

This is my toy du jour - explosively formed penetrator. Like a compact portable artillery gun. Developed in the 1930s, so historical campaigns could also use them. Powerful enough to give Cthulhu a headache, small enough to fit in the boot of a car. 

Explosively_formed_penetrator.gif.cf7a487ba44916ed55bec9b3499e1d09.gif

This tech is still used in HEAT (high-explosive anti-tank) warheads. Nothing like a high-velocity superplastic jet of copper to ruin your day (and tank).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, foolcat said:

This tech is still used in HEAT (high-explosive anti-tank) warheads. Nothing like a high-velocity superplastic jet of copper to ruin your day (and tank).

As the Chieftain (tankie, consultant on World of Tanks, and lecturer on You Tube) is wont to say: From inside the tank, it's the steel you send down the tube. Inside the tank, there's a lot to give you a negative life experience.

Edited by Stormkhan Cogg of Pavis
Re-wording.

Getting back to basics (!), blunderbusses armed with broken-up silverware can be comforting, shotguns with shells loaded with rock salt can spoil the evening for cultists and old boxes loaded with gunpowder sends splinters which irritate most human and non-human creatures.

Of course, all useless against the real Big Boys of Mythos but we don't expect any of them, do we, folks?

Guys? Hey ... guys?

It all takes me back to my reviewing days of the '80's. Mechwarriors and Battletech was great, in general. Then, the Japanese Mecha came in to RPGS (rather than boardgame/wargames). I found it hard to answer or accept some concepts. One being the "Mecha" damage idea.

Non-mecha (soldiers, tanks, whatever) caused "ordinary" damage. You could kill humans, blow stuff up etc. But to do damage to a mecha, "mecha-damage" had to be done. Only certain weapons caused mecha-damage. So ... If a mecha was immobilised, you could pile a metric craptonne of explosives around it, and detonate it. No damage to big, unfeasible Japanese robot. 'Cause that explosive didn't cause "mecha-damage". You could tie several satchel-bombs right into the ankle-joint but it wouldn't even slow it down!

Now, obviously, I understand the 'otherworldliness' of many Mythos beings. Other dimensions an' all that. But while certain materials in this world mayn't bother those from other dimensions, this shouldn't make them impervious. If they are in this dimension then they must be interacting with our material. Thus, our material must interact with them.

Hell, even Cthulhu was 'inconvenienced' by a bloody tramp steamer being rammed into his tummy!

I guess that I'm suggesting that, along with most 'rules', Keepers should take into account the conditions and actions of their Investigators when it comes with the not-so-legendary Mythos beasts that aren't 'harmed by Terrestrial weapons'. It might not be killed but I'm sure Nyarlathotep would have a significantly bad day being nuked.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stormkhan Cogg of Pavis said:

It all takes me back to my reviewing days of the '80's. Mechwarriors and Battletech was great, in general. Then, the Japanese Mecha came in to RPGS (rather than boardgame/wargames). I found it hard to answer or accept some concepts. One being the "Mecha" damage idea.

Non-mecha (soldiers, tanks, whatever) caused "ordinary" damage. You could kill humans, blow stuff up etc. But to do damage to a mecha, "mecha-damage" had to be done. Only certain weapons caused mecha-damage. So ... If a mecha was immobilised, you could pile a metric craptonne of explosives around it, and detonate it. No damage to big, unfeasible Japanese robot. 'Cause that explosive didn't cause "mecha-damage". You could tie several satchel-bombs right into the ankle-joint but it wouldn't even slow it down!

Now, obviously, I understand the 'otherworldliness' of many Mythos beings. Other dimensions an' all that. But while certain materials in this world mayn't bother those from other dimensions, this shouldn't make them impervious. If they are in this dimension then they must be interacting with our material. Thus, our material must interact with them.

Hell, even Cthulhu was 'inconvenienced' by a bloody tramp steamer being rammed into his tummy!

I guess that I'm suggesting that, along with most 'rules', Keepers should take into account the conditions and actions of their Investigators when it comes with the not-so-legendary Mythos beasts that aren't 'harmed by Terrestrial weapons'. It might not be killed but I'm sure Nyarlathotep would have a significantly bad day being nuked.

One of my favourite mythos movies is John Carpenters "The Thing", and the excellent prequel, released long after the original, about what happened in the Norwegian camp when they first discovered the alien starship.

The point about The Thing, everyone was doomed the moment they discovered it. The Thing attacked on a cellular level, so everyone was infected by the slightest brush or touch, and all would eventually inevitably transform into a monster. 

So the leaders in the movie, once they understood the true nature of what they were fighting, knew there was only one possible outcome for them personally; the only question was how they died. The real battle was not about saving themselves, they fought to save the rest of the world, by using their remaining time as human beings to prevent the thing from escaping Antarctica and destroying everything they loved.

This is the true essence of the mythos IMO. A gun maybe buys a brief, limited moment of victory against the mythos, if you are lucky enough that circumstances permit. But on the timescale of eternity the bottomless abyss is not bothered by a few pieces of lead or steel, or even the odd steamer. 

Edited by EricW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about a Discos from the Nightland book.

One of these bad boys can cut through nearly anything, gives of an electric charge and light, comes complete with a telescoping handle, has a power reserve that can last well over two months, and is so attuned to your psychic makeup, that it will zap any monster foolish enough to try and take it from you.

A weapon like this will make short work of most mundane monsters, and perhaps even a shoggoth.

diskos-38-1000-1000-100.jpg

The art is not mine.

Edited by Old Man Henerson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the other special ammo types can make for very interesting weapons, such as the original dragons breath shotgun rounds - IIRC they were loaded with phosphorus (rather than the magnesium pellets I believe they use nowadays) so a shotgun effectively became a flamethrower. Of course phosphorus can be notoriously volatile so its quite a risk to carry these things around and I'm guessing you would best use a single-barrel shotgun as the heat from one shot could quite likely set off the other round in a double-barrelled weapon.

There used to be some rules for armour-piercing and dum-dum/wadcutter rounds in previous CoC versions but I don't recall seeing any in 7th Ed - has anyone come across or created some?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Had to google the Nightland.. 😮  :) 

From what I can see on Wikipedia... Having a Diskos is like bringing a machine saw to a gun fight. It's indubitably a powerful powered melee weapon... But how does that help you against gun wielding opponents?! :o 

Unless you are fighting cultists or other humans, most mythos creatures (and those of the Nightland) don't really use guns. In the Nightland BRP OLG project I am working on, I was going to add an item called a funnel gun which could fire an intense blast of lightning/energy charged from the Earth Current that powers the Great Redoubt in the book. Though other sources both in the book and elsewhere suggest that people don't use weapons like this very much to save energy for the forceful and not to attract any unwanted monsters.

Back to guns, you might not have to worry about bullets when you are walking around in a wicked suit of armor that is build specifically to withstand the horrors of the Nightland. Like this one:

nightland003-37-1000-1000-100 (2).jpg

Edited by Old Man Henerson
  • Like 1