Pavis in 1626

dumuzid

So, I just finished running my first session of RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha from the GM's side.  The game began in New Pavis, first day of Sea Season 1626.  I'm basing the game primarily off materials in the classic Pavis & Big Rubble and the more recent Pavis: Gateway to Adventure, with a last helping from the Jonstown Compendium work Rubble Runners, from which Kars the Prophet and his entourage have already appeared.

A challenge I've anticipated in using Pavis as a setting for RQ:G is probably obvious to those familiar with the books I'm using: the old Pavis materials only extend chronologically into the final years of the Lunar Occupation.  I've had to develop post-Liberation Pavis from those materials, and honestly it's been pleasant and rewarding.  I'm curious: has anyone else here done some work, fan, Jonstown or official, on updating Pavis for the post-Liberation timeline that they'd like to share?  I'm happy to open with my own contribution.

The first original development in Pavis that my players encountered is my replacement for Moonlighters, the club that catered to Lunar officers in Oldtown during the occupation.  I've decided that after the Liberation of Pavis the old management of Moonlighters is either dead or fled, so Argrath granted the establishment to one of his supporters with a background in club promotion: an Argan Argar dark troll from Nochet, Hargro Brightbite, and his crew of scruffy Nochet trolls and trollkin, who now run the Blind Lamp Club in Moonlighters' old building, offering thumping percussive dance music, trollkin gogo dancers of dubious skill but tremendous enthusiasm, and a dining menu catered by the in-house Thunderbreath Gobbleguts franchise.  My premise being that Argan Argar invented nightclubs in the Storm Age after observing that "humans do most of the things they like best in the dark, and are happy to pay for the privilege."

Edited by dumuzid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

I'm curious: has anyone else here done some work, fan, Jonstown or official, on updating Pavis for the post-Liberation timeline that they'd like to share? 

Argrath is likely holding court here in this time period.  I think @Jeff may have noted some general ideas elsewhere (perhaps the Q&A he did recently?).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Argrath is likely holding court here in this time period.

Oh, yes, one of my players is a duck assistant shaman (SIZ 3) studying with Argrath, the first scene with the whole group together was his audience chamber.  I've assumed he set up shop in the old Count's Palace in Oldtown after evicting the Lunars who'd been using it as their headquarters.

You probably have drunk gangs of Praxians who roam the streets, beating up locals, in order to get revenge for past offenses, real and imaginary.

The connection between Geo's Inns is probably being exploited by Argath to spy in Dragon Pass.

You should ask yourself what kind of law code is being enforced now in Pavis.  And how many Argaths your game has, which will influence how he rules.

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Robin Laws and I have been working on two books set in Pavis and the Big Rubble, set in 1625-1627. The city has undergone an awful lot of changes.

Have been? Does that mean, the books are done basically? Or does it mean, work is on hold, because other projects became more important?