Beyond The Wall Map?

I have an print copy of BTW, and the book mentions the existence of a map (beyond the non-detailed ones, meant really only for pointing out tribal territory and not actual locations of areas), yet it seems when I bought my copy of the book all those years ago (I believe off of Noble Knights?), either the seller forgot to include the map or I misplaced it!

Does the PDF version contain the fully detailed map by any chance? Or am I outta luck? I am planning on running an pict related adventure soon, so fast answers would be preferable!

My hard copy is in storage at the moment, but there should be a big map in the book that looks something like this:

(Note that this is at reduced resolution for informational purposes, to show what should be there, without violating any copyright laws by clearly showing what is there) 

BtWall reduced rez.png

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:37 AM, Greyblade said:

You have a detailed map spread over two pages (north & south), Black & White

this is referring to the pdf, right? Which pages are the maps? I mean the detailed one, the one that Atgxtg posted an preview of above with all of the location names.

10 hours ago, redmoongoddess said:

this is referring to the pdf, right? Which pages are the maps? I mean the detailed one, the one that Atgxtg posted an preview of above with all of the location names.

Yes, I can confirm that the PDF on sale at Drivethrurpg.com, or on Chaosium's own webstore, contains two pages (one for North and one for South) with the detailed map, which is exactly the one Atgxtg posted above. Although, I must say that scan resolution is not that high, and the typeface size used in the map is really small, so it's not the best reading experience on a PC screen: as soon as you start zooming in to read the tiny writings, letters become pixelated. Don't know what happens when you try to print this one; I suspect that you'd be better served by the original map on paper (I own it, but cannot access it at the moment).

The map is on the two last pages of the PDF file. In the original book, it was glued to the inside back cover.

7 hours ago, mandrill_one said:

. Although, I must say that scan resolution is not that high,

Do you know what the resolution is? I have the hardcopy,  not the PDF. Maybe it would be possible to get a higher rez-scan. The one I posted above is only at 72 dpi , which is okay for a computer screen. We really want at least 300 dpi or so for a printable version to keep the details. I could look for my copy in storage and maybe scan it in sections and merge them into a bigger higher rez map.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Do you know what the resolution is? I have the hardcopy,  not the PDF. Maybe it would be possible to get a higher rez-scan. The one I posted above is only at 72 dpi , which is okay for a computer screen. We really want at least 300 dpi or so for a printable version to keep the details. I could look for my copy in storage and maybe scan it in sections and merge them into a bigger higher rez map.

The map in the PDF is 72 dpi, just like your image. IMO, it's NOT ok for a computer screen, since you can barely read the placenames on it.

However, I fear that posting a higher resolution scan from the paper copy would be against Chaosium's copyright. I wouldn't suggest anyone to do it without their written permission.

21 hours ago, mandrill_one said:

The map in the PDF is 72 dpi, just like your image. IMO, it's NOT ok for a computer screen, since you can barely read the placenames on it.

That depends on how big you make the scan. The overall picture quality is based on the size of the image as well as the dpi. So you can get a good map at 72dpi, but it has to be portortally larger to get the same detail as one at 300 dpi or higher.

21 hours ago, mandrill_one said:

However, I fear that posting a higher resolution scan from the paper copy would be against Chaosium's copyright. I wouldn't suggest anyone to do it without their written permission.

I wouldn't, but I'd consider sending it to them to ammend the existing pdf, unless, of coruse they beat me to it, which it seems they will. 

4 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I am working on updating the quality of that map. I have an original of it, and have scanned it in at 600 DPI.I'm just doing a bit of cleanup on it today. 

Thank you! I'm sure owners of the Beyond the Wall PDF will find that very helpful.

• Like 1