The Children of Fear corrections thread

MOB

• MOB featured this topic

The information about the Mahayugas is a bit unclear (page 11, under Backgrounds, second pragraph). To me, it reads that one of Bhrama's days is 1000 Mahayugas, and each of these 1000 is again divided into four smaller epochs (Golden, Silver etc). And that Vishnu destroys the universe at the end of each one of these 1000 Mahayugas. Or something like that? 

Edited by Ferretz

I'm going based on the previews, as I do not yet have the PDF... hopefully someone else can provide actual page numbers, if what I've spotted is indeed an error.

Is the unnamed "dot" in the mountains west of Darjeeling on the Central Asia map intentionally unnamed? Or is that an oversight?

19 hours ago, Ferretz said:

The information about the Mahayugas is a bit unclear (page 11, under Backgrounds, second pragraph). To me, it reads that one of Bhrama's days is 1000 Mahayugas, and each of these 1000 is again divided into four smaller epochs (Golden, Silver etc). And that Vishnu destroys the universe at the end of each one of these 1000 Mahayugas. Or something like that? 

Yes, that's correct!

On 10/25/2020 at 7:03 AM, TwiceBorn said:

I'm going based on the previews, as I do not yet have the PDF... hopefully someone else can provide actual page numbers, if what I've spotted is indeed an error.

Is the unnamed "dot" in the mountains west of Darjeeling on the Central Asia map intentionally unnamed? Or is that an oversight?

We're updating it. (Apologies, I originally misread and assumed it the dot west of Kashgar, not Darjeeling)

Edited by Lynne H
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cjearkham said:

Throughout: "ex-patriot" is a misspelling of "expatriate". P. 20, col. 1, par. 4; p. 29, col. 1, par. 1; p. 31, col. 2, par. 4; p. 105, col. 1, par. 2; p. 132, "Members Only" box; p. 404, top of col. 2.

Edit: disregard post, misread your comment.

Edited by smithh65

10 hours ago, TerryTroll said:

Are the weapons statistics listed anywhere? Couldn't seem to find them listed in the Table of Contents or in the Appendix.

The weapons have the damage listed with the NPC stats but nothing else.

Weapon tables are in the Call of Cthulhu: Keeper Rulebook. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mike M said:

Weapon tables are in the Call of Cthulhu: Keeper Rulebook. 

Not really, the book goes as far as to have the detail such as a Mauser Broomhandle C96 it's a nice detail as the China used a .45 C96 as it's service weapon. However it also has the model M1912 pistol mentioned (another nice detail as that version was designed for export to China), yet these models are different calibres (both listed as .45 in the book). Also the .45 Automatic  in the Keepers book says 7 bullets in the mag while the Mauser C96 has 10 fed by a stripper clip not a magazine, so not the same gun at all.

For the Mauser M1888 are we just to assume the stats of the .22 bolt-action rifle, because the damage is the same, even though it isn't a .22 rifle?

The Nagant M1895 revolver is mentioned 1d8 damage so treat it like a .32 revolver? Again it's nice that it is mentioned as it would likely be common in the region, only the Nagant is unusual in that it has a 7-round cylinder.

Seems a shame to have researched all the detail to have weapons fitting the region and period (clearly some work has gone in there), but then not then include those details. 

I thought I had just missed it. If it isn't there fair enough, but using the Keepers Rulebook isn't really the same if you want to use the details provided.

Edited by TerryTroll

I do not have the PDF either, but I have also found a few things on the previews of the maps that I find strange.

On the map of Central Asia, except the dot that has already been reported, I have also found the following:
- Unnamed dot to the west of Kashgar, at the edge of the map.
- Unnamed dot to the east of Calcutta.
- The dot for Pasighat is covered by the name, making it so you can hardly see it.
- There is no dot by Pemako.

On the map for the City of Patna:
- I don’t know if there is some historic or game related reason, or if I’m misinterpreting the scale of the map. But the places where 4 (High Court) and 11 (Sultan Palace) are placed on the map, there doesn’t seem to be any buildings. I find that strange, especially with the Sultan Palace.

• Thanks 1

P.67, header reads ENCOUNTERS OF THE MING-CH’I KIND

The immediately previous paragraph and a x-ref on p.60 refer to this section as “Encounters of the Minch-ch’i Kind

But nowhere else does, and p.60 also has ming-ch’i.

So “Minch-ch’i” looks like an error.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The newly released Handout-PDFs for The Children of Fear, called ”Investigator Handouts and Map Pack” and ”Keeper Map Pack” contains the maps ”Central Asia” and ”The City of Patna”, which still have all the errors that have been reported earlier in this thread.

I’m not sure if all the errors that were reported really are errors, but at least one of the errors have been confirmed by Lynne to be an error and was to be corrected, but it hasn't been corrected yet in either of these new PDFs. Which is making me wonder if they are getting corrected for the printed version of the book.

I’m repeating all the errors for those two maps already reported below for convenience, as well as adding some new errors/strange things that I found on the Keeper-version of the ”Central Asia”-map in the ”Keeper Map Pack”-PDF.

The map ”Central Asia”

Already reported errors:
- Unnamed dot to the west of Darjeeling.
- Unnamed dot to the west of Kashgar, at the edge of the map.
- Unnamed dot to the east of Calcutta.
- The dot for Pasighat is covered by the name, making it so you can hardly see it.
- There is no dot by Pemako.

New errors found on the ”Keeper Map Pack”-version of the map:
- There is a unnamed dot at the top of the Key-box (I think it is called a Key!?), half covered by the box. Above the t in ”Locations”.
- Not sure on how to interpret the ”Suggested path for the post-ritual route”. It kinda seems to be going for a loop around Dibrugarh and Sadiya. Don’t know if this is explained in the adventure?

Strange differences between the Keeper-map and the Investigator-map:
- There are two locations that only the Keeper-map version has. One of these locations are located next to Patna and Rajgir, called Nalanda.
- The other one are located slightly northeast of Pasighat, called Danakosha Lake, I think. And this location seems to be missing its dot.
- Are any of these two locations supposed to be added to the Investigator-map version as well? I don't know if they are only on the Keeper-version because of the ”Suggested path for the post-ritual route”. But to me, Nalanda doesn't even seem to be on that route. But Danakosha Lake is at one of the ends of that route.

Difficult to interrept the Keeper-map version:
- I find it next to impossible to see a difference between the River Roads and Land Roads on this map. I interrept it as the River Roads are to have a slight blue tint "covering" them, according to the Key. It doesn't help that most of the Land Roads and River Roads are also covered by the yellowcolored pre-ritual route. Am I interrepting it correctly that the only River Road that is on the map, is the one between Sian and Chengchow? If that is the case, that is very hard to see, especially with the yellowcolored pre-ritual route covering it.

The map ”The City of Patna”

Already reported:
- I don’t know if there is some historic or game related reason, or if I’m misinterpreting the scale of the map. But the places where 4 (High Court) and 11 (Sultan Palace) are placed on the map, there doesn’t seem to be any buildings. I find that strange, especially with the Sultan Palace.

Edited by Elder Thing
  • Thanks 1