RQ:G Basilisk

HreshtIronBorne

So, my party will probably walk into a basilisk in The Rubble pretty soon. I am wondering about their stats other than the specific stat block in the adventure. 

Are they chaos creatures?

Is their Death Stare stoppable, i.e. with Countermagic or something?

Would a Storm Bull walking into a room with one even get a chance to react? What about with Detect or Find Enemy?

In some writeups they have acid blood and poison and are even scarier than just a Death Stare.

Also, for any of you that might have an inkling about the adventure in question, what would you say the Armor or HP of a "Large Metal Cage" is? In case said Strom Bull wants to smash it. 

2 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

They are described as such in RQ2 and RQ3 and Cults of Terror associates them with Vivamort.  Amusingly Cults of Terror also  says stas will be given in the miscellaneous section of the cult, but no such stats appear.

RQ3 and RQ2 both state the Basilisk's glance penetrates magical defences as if it were a divine spell with a POW of 3 (ie a three point rune spell) but that this can vary from basilisk to basilisk.

Would a Storm Bull walking into a room with one even get a chance to react? What about with Detect or Find Enemy?

The glance takes a melee round and must succeed in a POW versus POW attack to kill.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, metcalph said:

They are described as such in RQ2 and RQ3 and Cults of Terror associates them with Vivamort.  Amusingly Cults of Terror also  says stas will be given in the miscellaneous section of the cult, but no such stats appear.

The editor turned to stone when attempting to transcribe the stat block into the book's layout.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

So, my party will probably walk into a basilisk in The Rubble pretty soon.

Fun, fun, fun.

In my Glorantha, yes. Officially, probably.

It used to be. I think it counts as a 2 or 4 point spell, but it is hard to remember. They can back it up with MPs though.

Would a Storm Bull walking into a room with one even get a chance to react?

If they make a Sense Chaos, sure.

If they make a scan before they get glared at, sure.

Although, in the Tower of Lead I had a Basilisk hidden in a secret room with a little peephole that it could look through and ambush trespassers. That was funny, as one of the PCs made a critical Spot Hidden (Scan), saw a peephole with an eye behind it and decided to peer through it anyway. The look on his face when I said he could see a Basilisk's eye was priceless. One Divine Intervention and flurry of violence later he was very cautious and proceeded to check every window and keyhole with a mirror on the end of a stick first. He scouted ahead and came to a throneroom, looked in and saw three empty thrones on a dais and was about to go in when the player saw that I was trying to contain a fit of giggles. The other players pointed out that they were in a Vampire stronghold and he had just seen three empty thrones when vampires don't have reflections. he looked again to se the Vampire Queen, her two Second-in-Commands and half a dozen Vampire flunkies in audience. Damn those giggles.

In some writeups they have acid blood and poison and are even scarier than just a Death Stare.

Why not? Acid Blood is always funny and a death stare is great until it is blocked. Having Shield up might protect you from the glare but your precious iron weapons might still get eaten away.

Also, for any of you that might have an inkling about the adventure in question, what would you say the Armor or HP of a "Large Metal Cage" is? In case said Strom Bull wants to smash it. 

Probably 9 points of armour and the same hit points. I'd just have a STR vs 21 to bend the bars, or 25if it's supposed to be hard.

13 hours ago, metcalph said:

RQ3 and RQ2 both state the Basilisk's glance penetrates magical defences as if it were a divine spell with a POW of 3 (ie a three point rune spell) but that this can vary from basilisk to basilisk.

That works as well. I'd give powerful Basilisks a higher point glare and weaker ones a 1 point stare. A POW 25 basilisk is always good for a laugh.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

10 hours ago, soltakss said:

Although, in the Tower of Lead I had a Basilisk hidden in a secret room with a little peephole that it could look through

Sheesh dude! Animal cruelty, much??? No wonder it was giving death stares...

Edited by Shiningbrow
added humour

12 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Sheesh dude! Animal cruelty, much??? No wonder it was giving death stares...

I know, but it's mate was a cockatrice that could freely roam the Tower of Lead and the Statue Garden, so I felt much better about that.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here